Galway club Football and Hurling thread

Started by GalwayBayBoy, June 20, 2007, 04:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galforever

Quoteapart from Tom Fahy, he's going to be some footballer in years to come. My Man of the Match

He looks like a real prospect. I hope he is able to make the step up to senior (at inter county level).

Where was Bradshaw playing? Who was he marking?

Duine Eile

Ya he's some prospect alright, I'd say he'll make the move to senior without much hassle, he has a mature head on young shoulders, the way he played yesterday evening you'd think he was playing senior football for years, this is only his second year at it. He'd remind you of Sean Og in his prime. I'd say the best is yet to come. Bradshaw played midfield, marking Tom Flynn ( ::)) You wouldn't think he's a county player looking at him yesterday evening, I know he was out of position but he was only in and out of the game, not great. I'm surprised he wasn't moved back to mark one of the Joyces, if my club was playing a team with forwards like the Joyces and we had a player deemed good enough to play corner back at inter county level I'd want him back there, not out at midfield where it was a pure lottery at times with lads slipping and sliding around the place.

Galforever

QuoteYa he's some prospect alright, I'd say he'll make the move to senior without much hassle, he has a mature head on young shoulders, the way he played yesterday evening you'd think he was playing senior football for years, this is only his second year at it. He'd remind you of Sean Og in his prime. I'd say the best is yet to come. Bradshaw played midfield, marking Tom Flynn ( ) You wouldn't think he's a county player looking at him yesterday evening, I know he was out of position but he was only in and out of the game, not great. I'm surprised he wasn't moved back to mark one of the Joyces, if my club was playing a team with forwards like the Joyces and we had a player deemed good enough to play corner back at inter county level I'd want him back there, not out at midfield where it was a pure lottery at times with lads slipping and sliding around the place.

doesnt bode well for Moycullen if they are playing a small lad like Bradshaw midfield. I agree, you should put your best backs on the Joyces. I would have been interested to know how Bradshaw would have done on Nicky. I'm still unsure about Bradshaws capability as a county player. Nicky would have ben a good test. Aah well, I guess I'll find out more on July 13th!

mouview

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 02, 2008, 12:06:29 AM
Ya he's some prospect alright, I'd say he'll make the move to senior without much hassle, he has a mature head on young shoulders, the way he played yesterday evening you'd think he was playing senior football for years, this is only his second year at it. He'd remind you of Sean Og in his prime. I'd say the best is yet to come. Bradshaw played midfield, marking Tom Flynn ( ::)) You wouldn't think he's a county player looking at him yesterday evening, I know he was out of position but he was only in and out of the game, not great. I'm surprised he wasn't moved back to mark one of the Joyces, if my club was playing a team with forwards like the Joyces and we had a player deemed good enough to play corner back at inter county level I'd want him back there, not out at midfield where it was a pure lottery at times with lads slipping and sliding around the place.

Width of a bloody stone wall from being an Abbey man where his forebears came from. Not fair.

Duine Eile

Feck off mouview,he's ours and ye can't have him,ye already have Tommy Joyce,ye have enough belonging to us!

mouview

We need to do like the politicians and redraw the boundaries a little bit - widen a road here, push back a bit of a fence there, divert the river elsewhere.

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: mouview on July 03, 2008, 11:28:45 AM
We need to do like the politicians and redraw the boundaries a little bit - widen a road here, push back a bit of a fence there, divert the river elsewhere.

Going by those methods, we could have got Derek Savage from the other end of the parish......he's a stones throw from the Killererin parish boundary. Now if we could get that arranged before the Cortoon game that would be fair handy  ;)

The "big guns" all kept apart for the next round.........if all goes as expected, we should be looking at a few serious games in the latter stages.

Sligoper

Claregalway Hotel Senior Football Championship
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Comment
Killanin  Tuam Stars  Pearse Stadium 19/07/2008 17:30 Martin Gavin   
Moycullen  Caltra  Pearse Stadium 19/07/2008 19:00 Teddy Kerin   
Milltown  Kilkerrin/Clonberne  Tuam Stadium 19/07/2008 19:00 Frank Kinneen   
Michael Breathnachs  N.U.I.G  Pearse Stadium 20/07/2008 14:00 Tom Nally   
An Cheathru Rua  Claregalway  Pearse Stadium 20/07/2008 15:30 Pat McGovern   
Monivea-Abbey  Salthill-Knocknacarra  Tuam Stadium 20/07/2008 17:00 Brendan Kinneavy   
Killererin  Cortoon Shamrocks  Tuam Stadium 20/07/2008 18:30 Denis Ryder   

Go on the Bunnies!

Galforever

Caltra - Moycullen could be good.

What round is this now? Cant recall Moycullen playing a back door match. But teams like Kilererin & Milltown are in there who both won their first round matches

Duine Eile

The Moycullen Caltra game is the last of the qualifiers,it was delayed because it took so long to get the Killererin Moycullen game replayed. Any thoughts on the weekend's games,some good ones in there.Our own match with Cortoon could be a cracker,to be honest I'm not as confident about this game as I was when the draw was made,Nicky is almost definitely out injured,his leg is in bits after the Mayo match from what I've heard,he's a massive loss for us.Think Tom Hughes suspension is finished though so he should be back with Micheal in midfield.Have a bad feeling about this one.Shane Hughes is going to have to start hitting a few scores now,especially with Nicky out,Padraic can't do it on his own,It's going to take a massive performance.

Duine Eile

Looks like Caltra are the first big casualty of this year's championship, beaten by Moycullen by 3 points yesterday evening,
Moycullen  1-9 0-8 Caltra  Bit of a shock there, Caltra aren't the force they used to be but I expected them to get past Moycullen.

Claregalway Senior Championship Results:

Killanin  0-5 0-11 Tuam Stars 
Moycullen  1-9 0-8 Caltra 
Milltown  0-11 0-7 Kilkerrin/Clonberne 

Intermediate Results:

St Michaels  0-14 1-9 Caherlistrane
St James  0-15 1-14 Glenamaddy   
Corofin  2-8 2-10 Oranmore-Maree 

Duine Eile

Cortoon 3-09 0-08 Killererin                         Words fail me,an absolute shambolic,putrid and completely inept display from Killererin,I've never seen them play as badly.

Galforever

QuoteCortoon 3-09 0-08 Killererin                         Words fail me,an absolute shambolic,putrid and completely inept display from Killererin,I've never seen them play as badly.

Got a report? Were Padraig & Nicky playing?

Any other results?

Owenmoresider

Claregalway Hotel Senior Football Championship
Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment   
Killererin  0-7 3-9 Cortoon Shamrocks  Tuam Stadium   
Monivea-Abbey  0-11 0-15 Salthill-Knocknacarra  Tuam Stadium   
An Cheathru Rua  1-13 2-10 Claregalway  Pearse Stadium   
Michael Breathnachs  2-11 2-16 N.U.I.G  Pearse Stadium

Claregalway Hotel Intermediate Football Championship
Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment   
Williamstown  1-9 1-13 Dunmore McHales  Clonberne

Duine Eile

Killererin 0-07 3-09 Cortoon

What a shambles. From start to finish.  :-\To be honest I've seen this coming all year, we were lucky against Moycullen, twice, but boy did we implode yesterday. Cortoon got off to a great start, kicked some great scores. Their first goal, not sure who scored it but he was allowed run 50 yards of the pitch and not a one laid a finger on him. Set the tone for the day really. We were beaten in all areas of the pitch. Padraic was left to do it all by himself, not for the first time this year, the rest of the forwards, bar James Hughes, looked like it was their first game all year. The backs were beaten any time the ball came past the half way line, Tom Hughes was anonymous, Micheal Keane was on his own at midfield, Tommie Joyce's big comeback ended in disaster. Basically anything that could go wrong from a Killererin point of view did go wrong.
Where I think it all went wrong:
1.Nicky being injured was a major blow for us. It left all the pressure on Padraic and because he was our only danger man Cortoon could afford to have 3 and 4 players marking him at a time, didn't matter what other Killererin forwards were left unmarked, the way they played yesterday they hadn't a notion of scoring anyway.
2.Tommie Joyce starting: Don't get me wrong now, it's great to have him back BUT, he shouldn't have started, he was so unfit and  it must have been a right kick in the teeth for the rest of the panel that trained all year only to see him get a place ahead of them and why did he start at 14?! Made no sense whatsoever. He would have made much more of an impact coming off the bench as an impact sub. Jonathan Keane coming off the bench was a welcome surprise, he would have been a much better option to start. At least he was match fit from his training with Galway Utd. Did well when he came on too, if only it was a bit earlier.
3.Tom Flynn playing corner back: what the hell does this man have to do to be dropped. Don't get me wrong, grand lad off the field but sweet mother he's had a bad season. Was brutal last time out where he started at midfield so they decide to move him to corner back?!Madness.But perversely, he saw more ball then any other lad on the field but couldn't do anything with it. They should have brought back Mitchell to no 4, put Tom Fahy no 6 and left Daniel Mannion at wing back.
4.Complete incompetence from the management: Examples-Tommie Joyce starting at 14, Tom Flynn playing corner back, keeping Jonathan Keane in reserve until the game was beyond saving, no game plan. I'd say this is the end for Stephen, Pat and John.

I'm not even going to bother giving player ratings, the only ones that played even half well were Damien Flaherty, Tom Fahy, Micheal Keane, Padraic Joyce and Jonathan Keane when he came on. Fair play to Cortoon, they tore into us in the first half and fought to the very end. Fully deserved their win. (Even though their second goal was a blatant square ball.)