Galway club Football and Hurling thread

Started by GalwayBayBoy, June 20, 2007, 04:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaroonAndWhite

Well DE, ya picked the right one to miss....match abandoned at half time due to thunder storm and massive dowpour. Killererin leading 0-10 to 0-4  :'(

Skies opened five mins before match and continued all through first half. Inside both 21's and along the sidelines were holding big closhes of water. Once the ball started to die on the sod towards end of the half the writing was on the wall. Thought it would continue though as Killererin were so far up thought they might press for second half to continue. But no complaints, it was only a matter of time before someone got hurt so fair play to Gerry Kinneavy for calling it off.

0-10 in that weather was some going....the maestro played well again. Nicky was trying his flicks in the downpour much to my disgust  >:( but he was doing ok. If only the pass wasnt a last resort for him.

Bit of a re-scheduling headache for John Jo & Co now.....

First game finished  Micheal Breathnachs 0-8 Annaghdown 0-7

Duine Eile

I heard MandW!if the weather was that bad,and from what I heard it was unbelieveable weather for the 21st of june the right decision was probably made and now I'll be able to go to the replay,It's all worked out for the best really!nicky would want to learn he has to bend his back to get the ball the odd time,these flicks of his are all well and good on a fine day but not a day like today.fixture headache now alright,serves them right in my opinion,why did they leave it until now to replay it,the drawn match was 4weeks ago.

mouview

On a non-related note, can something please be done about Ralph O'Gorman on GBFM? To say his style is appalling is a massive understatement and he keeps interrupting the match reporter. I had to turn off the radio yesterday pm rather than be able to listen to the reports in peace. Ollie Turner, please copy.

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: mouview on June 23, 2008, 12:14:46 PM
On a non-related note, can something please be done about Ralph O'Gorman on GBFM? To say his style is appalling is a massive understatement and he keeps interrupting the match reporter. I had to turn off the radio yesterday pm rather than be able to listen to the reports in peace. Ollie Turner, please copy.

Is Ralph O'Gorman the fella who does the sports from 8-9 on Sunday evenings? Sounds like he should be presenting a jazz show on Radio 1 or something! If its the lad im thinkin of, he's cruel hard to listen to.....i think he's trying to go down the Micheal O'Muircheartaigh story telling route and is getting it horribly wrong.

MaroonAndWhite

Courtesy of GBFM
In news of the weekends football fixtures, the Senior Football Championship replay between Killererin and Moycullen will take place on Monday evening next in Tuam Stadium at 7.30pm.

This Sunday at 2pm there are 8 games in the Senior Football League with the 1st team at home: Cortoon v Caherlistrane, Micheal Breathnachs v Mountbellew/Moylough, Killanin v Corofin, Caltra v Kilkerrin/Clonbern, Milltown v Claregalway, St.Brendans v Menlough, Monivea/Abbey v An Cheathru Rua and Tuam Stars v Barna.

There are 5 games in the Intermediate League on Sunday. At 2pm its Dunmore v Williamstown, St.James v Carna/Cashel and Leitir Mor v St.Michaels, while at 6pm its Glenamaddy v Corofin and Caherlistrane v Annaghdown.

In the North Board Junior A football Championship on Sunday next, there are 5 games at 5pm: Tuam Stars v Athenry in Monivea, Mountbellew/Moylough v St.Brendans in Clonbern, Cortoon v Ballinasloe in Menlough, Monivea/Abbey v Portumna in Ballinasloe and Headford v Caltra in Tuam. At 6.30pm its Glynsk v Milltown in Clonbern and Claregalway v St.Gabriels in Menlough.

In the West Board Junior A championship, there are 4 games on Sunday at 6pm: Fr.Griffins/Eire Og v St.Colmans in Ardrahan, Salthill/Knocknacarra v Na Piarsiagh in Inverin, Leitir Mor v Oughterard in Rosmuc and Moycullen v Barna in Spiddal.

One game in the Junior B championship, as Killererin play Athenry on Sunday at 6.30pm in Monivea. And theres also a full round of games in the West Board Junior C football league on Friday evening at 8pm.

Thats an awful balls of a time to play the replay between Killererin & Moycullen.......... :o

the green man

Does Marty O Connelll still kick ball, these times? Played with him at school, and a real class act he was.

Duine Eile

Would it not make more sense to play the replay on Sunday instead of the league match?They'd get more of a crowd on a Sunday too.They could play the league game on Monday then if they really wanted.Strange decision!

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: Duine Eile on June 25, 2008, 12:46:14 AM
Would it not make more sense to play the replay on Sunday instead of the league match?They'd get more of a crowd on a Sunday too.They could play the league game on Monday then if they really wanted.Strange decision!

They will have done it to avoid a clash with the intercounty GAA games on Sunday afternoon and the Euro 2008 final Sunday evening. Perhaps as part of a double header with the Galway minors in Tuam Stadium on Sat evening would have been the better option and would get good support in for the minors too.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on June 25, 2008, 11:09:36 AM
Quote from: Duine Eile on June 25, 2008, 12:46:14 AM

They will have done it to avoid a clash with the intercounty GAA games on Sunday afternoon and the Euro 2008 final Sunday evening. Perhaps as part of a double header with the Galway minors in Tuam Stadium on Sat evening would have been the better option and would get good support in for the minors too.

There are a couple of Killererin lads involved with the minors so Sat was not an option and I guess a Monday eve fixture gives them an extra day to get over any bumps and bruises.  Killererin should win this handy enough as Moycullen are down a good few players for the Summer.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: the green man on June 24, 2008, 11:04:35 PM
Does Marty O Connelll still kick ball, these times? Played with him at school, and a real class act he was.

He's still playing with Salthill. Was talked about a couple of times that he might get a call-up to the Galway senior squad but it never happened as far as I know. Can't remember him even getting a run out during the FBD.

Galforever

Duine Eile

Killererin won by 2points 1-12 to 13points

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 01, 2008, 12:12:56 PM
Killererin won by 2points 1-12 to 13points
Any chance of a match report DE?  The Killererin version will suffice  ;)

Duine Eile

Ya I'll give my educated opinion later on this evening,I'm out and about at the moment!

Duine Eile

Killererin 1-12 0-13 Moycullen

Not a classic by any means and played in terrible conditions for this time of year. We were lucky in the end, again! A good crowd turned out for a wet Monday evening. It wasn't an easy evening to try to play good football but both teams did their best. It wasn't a great performance by Killererin. Much improvement will be needed  next day out. (Against Cortoon Shamrocks, draw made a while ago) Moycullen to their credit never gave up and were fighting right to the final whistle. They kicked some very impressive points and will trouble the Caltra back line. Paul Clancy was their main man as usual but was lucky to stay on the field, didn't see his first yellow card but his high tackle on Padraic Joyce in the 2nd half certainly merited a yellow card but he only got a tick for it because the ref chickened out. Not sure who was referee but he was awful aggravating, made no allowance for the conditions at all. Alan Keane didn't get a lot to trouble him, wish he'd stay on his line when a ball comes near the goal though,that's what  the backs are for, he should mind his own line. Backs were shaky, Mitchell was shocking, plays much better at no.6, he was beaten any time Moycullen got the ball inside. Damien Fla and David Raftery were okay, will have to do better against the likes of Micheal Martin, Savo and David Warde. Hopefully Colin Forde will be fit enough to start next day out. Half backs weren't any great shakes either apart from Tom Fahy, he's going to be some footballer in years to come. My Man of the Match. His passing and ball carrying is nearly as good as Padraic Joyce's. Daniel Mannion didn't do too badly for his first big senior game but will have to improve as will Ian Reddington. Midfield was a shambles, what was the big idea of playing Tom Flynn at no 8?! Left Micheal Keane with way too much to do, we effectively had only one midfielder but yet David Hansberry was playing no 10?I really didn't understand that at all. Anyway, Tom Flynn seemed to see more ball than anyone but wasn't able to do anything with it. Again. :-\ Keane was okay, can be better though, will play better when Tom Hughes comes back from suspension. Caught some great ball in the second half, shipped a nasty knock too. Half forward line was our best line, David Hansberry, for a young lad, grabbed this game by the scruff of the neck, made some mistakes but he'll learn, was impressed by him, why he wasn't picked at midfield is a mystery, he's a horse of a young lad. Padraic was his usual class self, was the difference between the teams as usual, scored some unbelievable points and set up the goal for Nicky. James Hughes did well at no 12. Shane Hughes was abysmal at 13, completely anonymous, don't know what's happened to him, he practically won the u-21 championship on his own last year but hasn't gotten going at all this year, he's going to have to start chipping in with some scores. Nicky played fairly well, too much of the flashy stuff though, twisting and turning trying to get away from the Moycullen backs, no need for it at all, he has the speed to beat any back in Ireland if he'd leave the flashy stuff at home. Needs to  pass the ball a bit more though. Micheal Boyle was fairly quiet aswell, was replaced by Tommy Wilson eventually. Needs to do more next time out. Moycullen played fairly well also, Paul and Gearoid Clancy were their main men, there was a Higgins lad (I think) that played well also, but Lydon is not county standard. Was only average against the half a midfield we had out. Bradshaw wasn't too bad. They got some great points, they'll cause Caltra trouble I'd say. From a Killererin perspective, another performance like this and we'll have a long summer on the terraces. We need Colin Forde and Tom Hughes back, we were missing both of them and Declan Kelly (USA) yesterday and that's a lot of players for a small club team. Daniel Mannion (presumably Kelly's replacement) did ok though so once we get the other two back things should look a bit better. So anyway an average performance by Killererin but we usually get better with each game we play, hopefully anyway because another performance like that and we're gone.

Senior Championship Draw:

Killanin/Tuam Stars v Corofin
Kilkerrin Clonberne vMilltown
Killererin vCortoon Shamrocks
Moycullen/Caltra/ Mountbellew Moylough
Ml. Breathnach v NUIG
Clare Galway v An Cheathra Rua
Monivea Abbey v Salthill Knocknacarra
St. Brendan's Caherlistrane

Intermediate Championship:

St Michael's v Caherlistrane
St James v Glenamaddy