Galway club Football and Hurling thread

Started by GalwayBayBoy, June 20, 2007, 04:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Caherlistrane will give a game to anyone from what I saw of them - Waldo has them very fit, mobile and well organised; nicely balanced team also. Other results of note were a weakened Moycullen's draw with Killererin - were Barna' bad or did M'culen play above themselves? Big win by Corofin and unusually for them they put up a big score. Good win for Monivea on their return against a rather disjointed Tuam team. With Caltra, A'down, Tuam, Breathnachs, Barna plus NUIG in the losers draw there will be some tasty games there I reckon.

Duine Eile

Bad day at the office for Killererin yesterday. To me they looked like a team that thought they'd win easily and that complacency slipped into the way they played and was capitalised on by Moycullen who played a great game I thought. Losing Nicky before the start was a big blow for us. We didn't seem to get going properly at all in the first half. The amount of hand passing was infuriating, it took so long to get the ball out of the backs and into the forwards that Moycullen had plenty of men back to cover. Padraic Joyce and Micheal Keane seemed to be the only ones able to kick a pass. Alan Keane didn't really have a lot to bother him, kick outs were ok, knew he hadn't a hope in hell of saving the penalty but was steady enough other than that. The backs were too slow to clear their lines and turned over a fair bit of possession. Colin Forde showed glimpses of what he's capable of, David Raftery needs to do better next day out, Declan Kelly was ok but will he be around for the replay, heard he's going to America this week for the summer, MaroonandWhite, any idea? Half backs were all over the place, Ian Reddington spent too much time up the field, Mike Mitchell was caught behind his man on a few too many occasions,(undoubtedly a better centre back than full back though) Damien Fla didn't do too badly, came into it in the second half and extra time. Mid field was one of our better areas I thought, some fine fielding from both Tom Hughes and Micheal Keane. Half forward line was poor, Tom Flynn was ok in patches, needs to be more involved though. Padraic, though named at 14 played more of a centre forwards role, was one of our best as usual. Got some great scores and worked well all through, what was the story at the end with the free did anyone see, didn't get a good enough look to see if he deserved a free or did he try to draw the foul.  Young Boyle did alright for his first senior championship game, wasn't afraid to take a shot at the posts. Shane Hughes uncharacteristically quiet, set up a few great scoring positions for himself but then seemed afraid to take a score himself, was always looking for someone to lay it off to. We needed a good game from him especially with Nicky out. Tommy Wilson started instead of Nicky, he's slower than a wet week, he's a grand option to be able to be able to bring on mid way through the second half if a change is needed, but surely James Hughes or David Hansberry would have been a better option to start. Hansberry did well when he came on, he's a big lad and caught a fair bit of ball.

On a separate note, of the four midfielders that started yesterday, 3 were intercounty players, Tom Hughes, Mark Lydon and Gareth Bradshaw, but to be honest I thought the fourth of them, Micheal Keane was the most impressive. He made some brilliant catches, tried to get the ball inside quickly and he got the levelling score to bring the game to extra time. Surely if Mark Lydon and Tom Hughes are deemed good enough for the county panel Micheal is worth a look? (Haven't included Bradshaw there because I know he's more of a back than a midfielder) Man of the match would be between Micheal and Padraic IMO.
Replay will have to be this weekend or next, backdoor round of the championship is scheduled for 21/22 June. This will have given the lads the wake up call they needed and with a bit of luck we'll pull through with a few points to spare. Nicky should be back for it so hopefully we'll do it second time round

MaroonAndWhite

Missed Sundays game DE as I was on Bruce Springsteen duty but from what you see, the malaise of handpassing constantly hasnt left them. I cant see the benefit of it myself......i would have thought if you have the likes of PJ, Nicky, Shane Hughes and young Boyle in the forward line,quick ball in makes sense rather than slowing it down in the half back line with handpasses. I really think thats why they have not gone further in Connacht when they have won in Galway. Teams like your Ballina's, Crossmolinas and Bridgets soon suss out that gameplan.
On a seperate note, good to see the young lads get a go....esp Colin Forde. I rate him hightly, a young Gary Fahy me thinks.
Nicky will have been a big loss but hopefully the replay will bring his recovery on.
Still, a good kick up the arse early never did these Killererin lads any harm.....just ask Annaghdown after last year  ;)

Duine Eile

And a good kick up the arse they need with the way they played most of the game sunday!Ya it's good to see the young lads being introduced alright and most of them had a decent enough game,young Forde looks the real deal though.cleared some great ball when the going got tough in the 2nd half.The constant hand passing was absolutely infuriating though,took absolutely ages to get the ball past midfield and lost it on so many occasions through stupid mistakes and fumbling the ball.Padraic was playin his usual deep role around midfield and gave an exhibition as usual but without Nicky inside we were short scoring options.Can't get over the amount of wasted possession,between fellas dropping the ball between their legs and kicking it straight at Moycullen lads i'm surprised we got away with a draw.They did well to fight back and earn the draw alright,they deserve credit for that but another display like that and we're heading for the qualifier round.   Heard on Galway Bay this morning that the replays from the weekend are set for the 21st or 22nd of June so they won't be in Pearse stadium anyway.

mouview

Will Nicky be rarin' to go the next day or will the, ahem..., Halo of greatness slip from his head. Ahem.

A defeat wouldn't be the end of the world for Killererin in the replay. It would mean at worst an extra, needed game; Killererin have the Kerry-like tendency to get more difficult to beat as the c'ship progresses.

Duine Eile

Quote from: mouview on May 27, 2008, 04:12:18 PM
Will Nicky be rarin' to go the next day or will the, ahem..., Halo of greatness slip from his head. Ahem.

Shhh, say nothin! ::) Ah no he should start the next day, from the minute he came on there was a lot more urgency in the full forward line.Maybe his pre-match outings work for him, who knows  :P

The extra game will do them no harm alright,we got caught at the same stage last year and we all know where we went from there. Now if we could think of a way to get them to kick the ball instead of blooming hand passing all the time I'd be happy........for a small while anyway. :D

orangeman

Can any of you Galway lads give us a match report on Castlegar and Liam Mellows hurling championship match last week which took place in Salthill ??

Mhic Easmuint

Draw is tonight (Friday 30th May) at approx. 9.30pm.

Online sales at http://antrim.gaa.ie finish at 8.45pm

Your last chance to get a ticket to win one of the great prizes.  

Funds generated to go towards the planned Centre of Excellence.
Plans and Video Fly-through available on the website:
http://antrim.gaa.ie/centre-of-excellence/

MaroonAndWhite

Cill Fhir Iarainn agus Maigh Cuilinn serve up a classic
Ray Silke

It is a sad day when you don't learn something new. And last Sunday in Pearse Stadium I was educated by a gentleman and an erudite individual in the correct Irish translation of Killererin - which is Cill Fhir Iarainn. That roughly translates to the Church of Iron Man - and based on what we have seen for the past decade and again last weekend on the football fields of Galway and beyond - when the going gets tough, the iron men of Killererin really get motoring.

With just five minutes left on the clock in normal time in this championship game their opponents Maigh Cuilinn had stormed into a three-point lead and looked odds on to win an exhilarating game of Gaelic football. However the county champions have real experience and tactical know-how in fighting their way out of foxholes. Led superbly by Padraic Joyce and big Michael Keane at midfield, they inched out the three scores required to push the game into extra time. Nobody was complaining as the second half had been played at a pulsating pace with some outstanding individual displays. However, Seán O'Dea's men will rue their lost opportunity as they most definitely had the winning of this tie.

Going into the last 10 minutes wing-forward Conor Bohan did very well to beat a few defenders and hit a belter of a shot that cannoned off Alan Keane's crossbar to safety. If that had gone in, they would have gone five to the good and it was impossible to see how the holders would have fought back to parity. It was all Maigh Cuilinn at that stage and they were being powered by the rampaging Paul Clancy from centre-back and the impressive Philip Lydon up front. The confidence they have reaped and harvested from winning the All-Ireland intermediate title last February was obvious to all in attendance as they played some scintillating football in the second half. Their performance was all the more meritorious in light of the fact that they were also without two of their better players - Pat Lydon (injured) and Tomás Higgins (exam-tied).

Seamus Friel was excellent in goal and he made one terrific save off the lively Shane Hughes at a vital juncture. Kieran O'Connor at left corner back used his pace and youth to good effect against Tommie Wilson. Tommie was conceding about 15 years to the youngster, but he still managed to slip over two fine points to more than pay his way and justify his selection. Indeed one of the great things about club football is it sets up some intriguing battles like that one. A young player not long out of county minor ranks against a seasoned veteran who donned the same county jersey almost two decades ago. It is to the immense credit of guys like Tommie Wilson and senior players from other clubs that they still have the enthusiasm and fitness to compete at senior club level. They are an example to their younger teammates and should be respected and applauded for their commitment to the club cause. Few if any teams win the big prizes without a scattering of elder lemons in the team or at the bare minimum on the panel and directing things at training.

The midfield battle in this clash between county players Gareth Bradshaw, Mark Lydon, and Tomás Hughes made for splendid viewing. Hughes and his partner Michael Keane lorded the aerial battles, but when Lydon and Bradshaw ran at them, the bigger men were in serious strife. In fact the template how to beat Killererin was shown to all and sundry by St Brigid's of Roscommon last winter - run at them from midfield at pace and even from the half-back line. They are an excellent team in possession, they know what it takes to win tight games, but they lack real pace around the central diamond. That is their Achilles heel.

Speaking of diamonds, Killererin's gem Padraic Joyce was in stupendous scoring form once again in this tie. The county captain notched 0-10 (2fs) and was their only player to score in extra time. If there was a Bosman Ruling in Gaelic football, a lot of clubs would have no problem stumping up the signing on fee and weekly wage to have Padraic leading their attack. Killererin should have Nicky Joyce back in contention for a starting slot in the replay and with serious chatter of a few of the Maigh Cuilinn lads heading Stateside for the summer months, it is very difficult to look past Killererin in the replay.

Either way, based on the quality of this encounter, there should be a good crowd at the replay in four weeks' time.

MaroonAndWhite

Galway Football Championship Draws:
Senior Qualifiers:

- Menlough v N.U.I.G
- Moycullen or Killererin v Caltra
- Killanin v Tuam Stars
- Annaghdown v Michael Breathnach
- Killkerrin Clonberne v Bearna 
- Bye St.Brendans or Claregalway

If we can get by Moycullen, our old buddies Caltra are waiting in the wings  :'(

Brendans v Claregalway will be a non event now since both will go through regardless of the result of their replay.....

MaroonAndWhite

I was wrong there, if we lose we get Caltra....its been a long weekend! Motivation enough to win against Moycullen me thinks  :)

Duine Eile

Claregalway Hotel Senior Championship Qualifier Round:
Michael Breathnachs  Annaghdown  Tuam Stadium 21/06/2008 17:30 Mick Byrne   

Killererin  Moycullen  Tuam Stadium (First Round Replay)21/06/2008 19:00 Gerry Kinneavy   

Barna  Kilkerrin/Clonberne  Tuam Stadium 22/06/2008 17:00 TBC   

N.U.I.G  Menlough  Tuam Stadium 22/06/2008 18:30 Brendan Kinneavy   

Clarewgalway Hotel Intermediate Football Championship:   
Oranmore-Maree  Corofin  Monivea-Abbey 21/06/2008 17:30 Vincent Judge   

Lettermore  Dunmore McHales  Clonbur 21/06/2008 17:30 Frank Walsh   

Kilconly  St Michaels  Monivea-Abbey 21/06/2008 19:00 Martin Gavin   

Carna Cashel  St James  Clonbur 21/06/2008 19:00 Denis Ryder   

Oughterard  Clonbur  Rosmuck 21/06/2008 19:30 Muiris McGearailt   

Annaghdown  Williamstown  Corofin 22/06/2008 14:00 Jerome Henry 

Glenamaddy  Clifden  Clonbur 22/06/2008 15:00 Alan Carr   

Caherlistrane  Michael Breathnachs  Corofin 22/06/2008 15:30 Frank Kinneen   

Absolutely sickened, fecking Killererin match is Saturday evening and I've a wedding down the country. Maroon and White can I count on you for a detailed and completely biased report!

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: Duine Eile on June 16, 2008, 11:49:35 PM
Claregalway Hotel Senior Championship Qualifier Round:
Michael Breathnachs  Annaghdown  Tuam Stadium 21/06/2008 17:30 Mick Byrne   

Killererin  Moycullen  Tuam Stadium (First Round Replay)21/06/2008 19:00 Gerry Kinneavy   

Barna  Kilkerrin/Clonberne  Tuam Stadium 22/06/2008 17:00 TBC   

N.U.I.G  Menlough  Tuam Stadium 22/06/2008 18:30 Brendan Kinneavy   

Clarewgalway Hotel Intermediate Football Championship:   
Oranmore-Maree  Corofin  Monivea-Abbey 21/06/2008 17:30 Vincent Judge   

Lettermore  Dunmore McHales  Clonbur 21/06/2008 17:30 Frank Walsh   

Kilconly  St Michaels  Monivea-Abbey 21/06/2008 19:00 Martin Gavin   

Carna Cashel  St James  Clonbur 21/06/2008 19:00 Denis Ryder   

Oughterard  Clonbur  Rosmuck 21/06/2008 19:30 Muiris McGearailt   

Annaghdown  Williamstown  Corofin 22/06/2008 14:00 Jerome Henry 

Glenamaddy  Clifden  Clonbur 22/06/2008 15:00 Alan Carr   

Caherlistrane  Michael Breathnachs  Corofin 22/06/2008 15:30 Frank Kinneen   

Absolutely sickened, fecking Killererin match is Saturday evening and I've a wedding down the country. Maroon and White can I count on you for a detailed and completely biased report!

Im on it scan!! Im with you on the campaign to get Micheal Kaene in a Galway jersey so ill be particularly kind to him  ;)

MaroonAndWhite

Club championship this weekend

There are a few good games up for decision this weekend in the Claregalway Senior and Intermediate football championships.

In the senior ranks there are two attractive games on Saturday in Tuam stadium.

At 5.30pm in the first of a double header - Micheal Breathnachs take on Annaghdown. It is difficult to look past Annaghdown in this one. Micheal Breathnach in their tie against Carraroe could do nothing with the aerial dominance and power play of Sean O' Domhnaill and they lack some big men around the midfield area. With Niall Coleman in good form for Galway last Sunday, and guys like Wesley Fallon adding an aerial threat around the middle or in at the edge of the square, I would fancy Mick Curley's charges to advance in that one.

At 7pm Killererin and Maigh Cuilinn renew their acquaintances after the terrific fare they served up in the drawn game. Much has changed since then though, and Moycullen have lost a few key players to the lure of the Yankee dollar and summer sun. Throw in the return to full fitness of Nicky Joyce and home venue of a sorts, and I cannot see the current county champions having any difficulty in seeing off the 2007 intermediate champions in this tie.

On Sunday again in Tuam there is another double header.

At 5pm Bearna take on Kilkerrin/Clonberne and afterwards Menlough are up against it in their tie with the students of NUIG. I'd expect the winners from those games to be provided by Kilkerrin/Clonberne and NUIG, assuming that NUIG can summon the majority of their Sigerson side back from their summer holidays.

Claregalway Hotel Senior Football Championship fixtures: Saturday, Michael Breathnachs v Annaghdown, Tuam Stadium 5.30pm; Killererin v Moycullen, Tuam Stadium 7pm; Sunday, Bearna v Kilkerrin/Clonberne, Tuam Stadium 5pm; NUIG v Menlough, Tuam Stadium 6.30pm

Duine Eile

Good man yourself! Think we should do it this time, Nicky will start, they've gotten the kick in the arse they needed so hopefully they can get the job done. I'd be fairly confident of a win, I hope anyway! On the Micheal Keane issue, he's no worse than Lydon or Cullinane so it'd be interesting to see how he'd get on!

PS: if anybody wanted to keep an ear on the updates on Galway Bay and stick them up here it'd be mighty stuff altogther!I don't ask a lot I know! ::)