Galway club Football and Hurling thread

Started by GalwayBayBoy, June 20, 2007, 04:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Heard Aer Arann are sponsoring the footballers. Anyone hear any announcement?

corn02

Galway Team to play Laois

Adrian Flaherty

Kieran Fitzgerald Capt

Finian Hanley

Damien Burke

Niall Coyne

Diarmuid Blake

Darren Mullahy

Joe Bergin

Mark Lydon

Niall Coleman

Fiachra Breathneach

Declan Meehan

Matthew Clancy

Michael Meehan

Sean Armstrong

Subs

P Doherty

D Finnegan

G Sice

G Bradshaw

A Burke

P Geraghty

C Bane

C Kenny

M Gottche

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 29, 2008, 06:56:32 PM

Yeah, the sceal I was fed was obviously a load of balls anyway! It was all over Galway Bay FM sports this morning with head man from Aer Arann speaking about it. No word on how much €€€€€€ they are putting in but should be substantial given their line of business. I believe the last sponsor was putting in somewhere in the region of €80k. Tommy Varden jerseys to be worn for last time on Sunday with the new Aer Arann ones being worn for first time against Kildare in Newbridge. New jersey to go on sale in 2 weeks time.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on January 30, 2008, 09:15:04 AM

Yeah, the sceal I was fed was obviously a load of balls anyway! It was all over Galway Bay FM sports this morning with head man from Aer Arann speaking about it. No word on how much €€€€€€ they are putting in but should be substantial given their line of business. I believe the last sponsor was putting in somewhere in the region of €80k. Tommy Varden jerseys to be worn for last time on Sunday with the new Aer Arann ones being worn for first time against Kildare in Newbridge. New jersey to go on sale in 2 weeks time.
Aer Arann should have no bother coughing up plenty of €€€€€€ based on the cosed of their flights out of Galway !!!!! Based on all the business I put their way I definitely expect a brand new jersey for the coming season  ;)

Fair play to Tommy, he was a super sponsor for the best part of 20 odd years and especially when you remember that he came on board when we were in the doldrums way back then.  Enjoy the retirement Tommy !

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on January 30, 2008, 11:35:54 AM

Aer Arann should have no bother coughing up plenty of €€€€€€ based on the cosed of their flights out of Galway !!!!! Based on all the business I put their way I definitely expect a brand new jersey for the coming season  ;)

Fair play to Tommy, he was a super sponsor for the best part of 20 odd years and especially when you remember that he came on board when we were in the doldrums way back then.  Enjoy the retirement Tommy !

No doubt, Varden took them on at a time when most wouldnt even look at them back in the dark days of early 90's. He'll knock another few bob out of the sponsorship though, as they said on the radio this morning the Varden jerseys will be circulating for quite a while yet......the 98 jersey will soon be considered retro!! Both Galway senior tems were fairly lucky with loyal sponsors in Supersmacks and T Varden.....have the hurlers ever been sponsored by anyone bar Pat McDonagh?

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on January 30, 2008, 12:36:20 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on January 30, 2008, 11:35:54 AM

No doubt, Varden took them on at a time when most wouldnt even look at them back in the dark days of early 90's. He'll knock another few bob out of the sponsorship though, as they said on the radio this morning the Varden jerseys will be circulating for quite a while yet......the 98 jersey will soon be considered retro!! Both Galway senior tems were fairly lucky with loyal sponsors in Supersmacks and T Varden.....have the hurlers ever been sponsored by anyone bar Pat McDonagh?
I dont recall any other Hurling sponsor other than Supermacs.  Again, a very loyal sponsor to the Galway cause.........................

thebackbar

GaillimhIarthair

Hopefully this is not too serious and can be sorted asap...............

Galway's hopes of mounting a sustained challenge for the National League have suffered a set-back with last season's player of the year Nicky Joyce possibly out of action for a couple of months.

The All Star nominee, who played in the FBD League, misses Sunday's opening game of Division 1 against Laois and may yet have to undergo surgery on a problematic groin injury.

Galway manager Liam Sammon said this week that the Killererin clubman has been troubled by the ongoing injury and may have to undergo surgery which would keep him out of competitive action well into the league campaign.

"It is a matter of establishing the best way to deal with the injury and ensuring that he is back to full fitness as soon as possible," said Sammon.

Galway will also be without Nicky's cousin and club-mate, Padraic Joyce, for Sunday's game as he is serving a suspension following a red card in the FBD League win over GMIT.

MaroonAndWhite

Did anyone see Connacht Tribune yesterday re the redevelopment of Tuam Stadium. The County Board to assist in funding the redevelopment of the Stadium. All weather pitch to go in and floodlighting too given the huge level of opposition to the installation of flood lighting at Pearse Stadium.

Have to say, Id be delighted to see Tuam redone and the football matches back there (im from Barnaderg, understandable I think!) but madness having two pitches like Pearse and a redone Tuam in same county. Pure waste but I thought it was madness to re-do Pearse in the first place rather than pump the money into Tuam Stadium. But again, unashamedly biased on that point too cos Im not too bothered about hurling farternity.

galwayman

Ya, I'd have to agree. It would be great to see Tuam Stadium redeveloped properly.There is absolutely no atmosphere in Pearse Stadium at all. I much rather watching football matches in Tuam. There is also always a feckin wind blowing in Pearse which ruins a lot of matches.
Again like Maroon&White I'm from North Galway but that's not the main consideration for me as I'd be roughly as close to Galway as Tuam (from the home house) and I live in Galway city at the moment anyway.

stephenite

Pearse Stadium is a disaster, wind is a huge problem for most games, and the traffic afterwards is always chaotic. Any moves to restore Tuam Stadium as the primary venue for Galway football would be welcomed by most people

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: stephenite on February 04, 2008, 12:47:00 AM
Pearse Stadium is a disaster, wind is a huge problem for most games, and the traffic afterwards is always chaotic. Any moves to restore Tuam Stadium as the primary venue for Galway football would be welcomed by most people
Traffic is never an issue for league games  :P.  Tuam is definitely a better venue for the championship matches as it copes with the traffic a hell of a lot better than Salthill.  Anyway Stephenite, if we end up meetin yer lads this year, its Castlebar for the day out. 

GaillimhIarthair

This may of interest to some...................................

SPORTTRACKER ROADSHOWS

SportTracker which has received the official endorsement of the Gaelic Athletic Association is holding a series of FREE 'road shows' throughout Ireland to highlight the importance of the TRACKER DIARY and its benefits for team managers and players at every level.

The Fifth 'road show' takes place in the Clayton Hotel Ballybrit Galway on February 11 2008 at 7.30pm, when Tyrone's All-Ireland winning manager Mickey Harte, Kilkenny's Brian Cody will present the Tracker Diary to club managers and will then be available for questions and answers with the audience.

The SportTracker range of analysis and statistics books will also be introduced, by the company's Technical Director and former successful Down and Ireland manager, Pete McGrath.

This is the first time ever a roadshow of this calibre has ever taken place in Ireland, and SportTracker is inviting all managers of all grades of football, hurling and camogie (men, women and underage) to attend on the night.

SportTracker's aim is to partner all GAA teams, managers, players and administrators, through its range of products.

Prior to Christmas, SportTracker launched the unique Tracker Player Diary' which is  a 200-page book in which double All-Ireland winning manager Mickey Harte provides his guidance and services to Gaelic footballers, hurlers and camogie players – focusing on club players  - throughout the country. The diary was officially launched by GAA president, Nickey Brennan in Croke Park. Technical Directors for Sporttracker are Brian Cody Hurling, Pete Mc Grath and Mickey Harte Football. Also in attendance will be Galway Manager Liam Sammon and Connaught Development officer John Tobin.

SportTracker is also delighted to have been so enthusiastically welcomed by the GAA and its development coaches throughout each province.  Company chairman, Peter Quinn has stated his belief that SportTracker can help transform the lives and performances of sports people in Ireland. "Those who are household names, and sports people throughout the country who love participating and have a desire to be the best they can possibly be, can benefit by being introduced to the SportTracker products, he emphasises"

MaroonAndWhite

GALWAY SEEKING POSTPONEMENT
By Martin Breheny

February 06 2008

GALWAY are seeking a postponement of their NFL clash with Kildare on Sunday week because two of the squad will be involved in the All-Ireland Intermediate Club football final in Croke Park on the same day.

Galway have written to GAA HQ pointing out that Moycullen pair, Mark Lydon and Gareth Bradshaw, are committed to the club football final against Fingal Ravens.

Ironically, Bradshaw, who came on as a sub against Laois last Sunday, has a club suspension and won't be cleared to play against Fingal unless his appeal, due to be heard tomorrow night, is upheld. However, even if he is ineligible to play for Moycullen, he will remain with his club colleagues, rather than joining up with the county team.

Galway manager Liam Sammon said he couldn't understand why the All-Ireland intermediate and junior club finals were fixed for the same weekend as a round of the NFL is due to be played.

Galway will be without Nicky Joyce for some weeks after undergoing an injury on a troublesome groin yesterday. Kieran Fitzgerald, who went off against Laois on Sunday, underwent an scan yesterday to assess the extent of an injury.

- Not a chance in hell of this request being granted Id say. Apparently you have to be from Cork for the whole GAA world to stop turning cos you have problems  ;)

mouview

Nor should there be a postponement either. That's what you have squads for. If the GAA are serious in adhering to a fixtures calendar then this issue should not be entertained. I notice that the hurlers aren't  looking for postponements despite being without the Portumna contingent.

Speaking of which, I see Loughnane had named his team for Sunday's opener v. Clare in good time. Good to see such as Damien Joyce and Andrew Keary getting a run again; I bet the team that's named really will start, barring injury!