Marty Clarke to make debut

Started by zoyler, June 22, 2007, 10:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenyears

just a thought lads, and by no means am i sugesting that it should be the case.....but with the GAA being non pay for play should the likes of professionals like marty clarke or any irish league/league of ireland players be allowed to play club or county football on the basis they are professional athletes.....that would be extended to anyone making a wage through a sport.....

amallon

There is a rule like this in Scor.  If you are a prefessional musician you can't take part in the ballad group or insturmental music compeitions.

I wouldn't be in favour of bringing a rule like this into our games as I don't see it to be a major problem.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Leo

Quote from: amallon on October 29, 2007, 08:29:41 PM
There is a rule like this in Scor.  If you are a prefessional musician you can't take part in the ballad group or insturmental music compeitions.

I wouldn't be in favour of bringing a rule like this into our games as I don't see it to be a major problem.

Professioanl musicians not allowed to play GAA? Bit drastic. Poor old Dermot O'Brien (RIP) might have to forfeit his All-Ireland medal with Louth. Good job Jacko, Beggy & Barney only took to the boards recently although their total lack of music might excuse them. Anyway Clarke is the all-singing all-dancing hero at the moment. The moment wont last - treasure it.
Fierce tame altogether

Bensars

Quote from: goldenyears on October 29, 2007, 05:51:22 PM
just a thought lads, and by no means am i sugesting that it should be the case.....but with the GAA being non pay for play should the likes of professionals like marty clarke or any irish league/league of ireland players be allowed to play club or county football on the basis they are professional athletes.....that would be extended to anyone making a wage through a sport.....

It has has happened for years that some guys who where professional soccer players used to come home in the summer and play for their clubs.

Gerry mc Elhinney (derry)
Devine ( donemana now Clan Na Gael, Tyrone)
If memory serves me Neil Lennon came back and played for Armagh Minors in 88 ( i could be wrong on that one )

and im sure theres countless more

whiskeysteve

Is marty not away to Australia yet? Thought I seen him in the Holylands there last night, cheering on a friend who was running down Fitzroy, fly-kicking lamp posts!!
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Balboa

Anyone see the programme tonight on the dastardly BBC? Surely there was some discreet anti-GAA slant........

darbyo

Is it being repeated or is it possible to see it on a weblink?

Jinxy

Very enjoyable programme. it was heartening to hear him talk at the end about how the club meant more to him than Collingwood. Seems like a top notch young fella. Well done season ticket!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

clarshack

Mentalman

I just finished watching the season ticket programme on Martin Clarke on BBC1. While BBC are often rightly criticised on here for their coverage of all things GAA in the six counties, it's maybe no harm to praise them when they do something right as was mentioned above. Really nice programme about Martin tonight, his year down under, his family and his return to An Ríocht. Given some of the things we've seen over the last few weeks it's good to be reminded that not only are there good role models out there, but that decent folks like that are more the rule than the exception. The lad is a credit to himself, his family, his club and his community. Good on him.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

darbyo

Ya just checked it out 5Times, I'll miss it tomorrow again so I hope it will be put up online as I was really looking forward to seeing it. Thanks anyway.

time ticking away

Great programme about a great footballer. Saw him play for St. Louis against St. Colmans in a Mc Rory semi final a couple of years ago and i thought he was the best college player i had ever seen. And he has certainly bulked up since then.
A huge loss to Down. Glad he wont be playing in Omagh in May :)
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

corn02

BBC get a GAA show right for once. Excellent show in my opinion , maybe a bit short. Seeemed to finish when it was getting into the swing of things. Superb insight into the Professionalism of Collingwood and shows how far GAA Counties are behind.

ykickamoocow

I live in Australia so if anyone could provide me with a link so i could watch this documentary. Any assistance would be appreciated.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: corn02 on November 01, 2007, 12:45:12 AM
BBC get a GAA show right for once. Excellent show in my opinion , maybe a bit short. Seeemed to finish when it was getting into the swing of things. Superb insight into the Professionalism of Collingwood and shows how far GAA Counties are behind.

Pro v amateur though...

Agree that the BBC did a great job. Clarke seems like a nice lad so fair play to him and hope he gets even better. Glad to see he still prefers Gaelic football with his home club!

However, the BBC seemed to miss out a bit in the programme - I mean, where was the comparison of clarke to david healey  ::) :D