Greatest skill in hurling

Started by The Claw, December 13, 2006, 04:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Claw

Sure we might as well do hurling as well. THere should be more contenders for this one.
Contenders:
Sideline cut
Doubling on the ball in the air
Blocking
Soloing at full speed
High catching
First touch
Drop pucking

Mine would have to be doubling on the ball in the air but it is one that has faded out of the game since the 80's.

BenDover

Doubling in the air is definitely the hardest skill to master

The Claw

sideline cut is also hard to master. I thinks its amazing lads who are naturally brilliant at them.

belleaqua

i think ya can develop sideline cut technique easier than the overhead pull. even the slighest flick, close to goal is an amazing skill, serious ability and timing needed.

The Claw

Have you any tips for the sideline cut?

belleaqua

Quote from: The Claw on December 13, 2006, 04:46:49 PM
Have you any tips for the sideline cut?

Personally dont have the striking ability to score from one but they keep me away from that end of the field anyway!

When takin them, i take my time, very important to find the right place, never ever let yourself be rushed, no quick ones.

Always know where your putting it, from the second you step back from it.

And to be honest the easiest part and the one that is most messed up, bend the f**kin knees, always needed for following through!

Over the Bar

Not being a hurler could you explain wht an "overhead pull" and "doubling the ball in the air" both are?  ??? cheers

belleaqua

Quote from: Over the Bar on December 13, 2006, 04:52:07 PM
Not being a hurler could you explain wht an "overhead pull" and "doubling the ball in the air" both are?  ??? cheers

same thing really, connecting with the ball when its overhead, causing it to change direction or continue it the way its going.

Very hard to achieve with both hands on the hurl, easier to do one handed.

The Claw

They are both the same, except maybe the overhead pull is swingin o nthe ball when it is over your head and doubling on the ball in the air could mean waist height.
THe ball is coming in high, probably just above catching height, you swing the hurl and help the ball on the way its going. Another way would be to hit it back where it came from but keeping it going the same way requires expert hand-eye coordination and exact timing, very difficult to execute properly.

The Claw

youbetterbelieveit

I would have to go for first touch, the sharper you are the better and the tougher is is as the ground hardens. You see the likes of eoin kely and donal og cusack, its their first touch that stands them apart. how quick they can react to the movement of the ball, change direction wit one flick etc..

belleaqua

Personal farourite is the ability of some lads to consistently catch a puckout or dropping ball in a group of 3 or 4 and lads pulling all sides. Again its a skill of timing and co-ordination rather than having to possess great physical strength.

The Claw

With the catch, I think the key to catching the ball is what you do with your non catching hand. be it gaurding your hand, or on the more illegal side, playing the hurl, or even pushing lads out of the way, that would be my biggest tip to catching in a group of players.

youbetterbelieveit

Not at all, just make sure you wear an ashguard and just stick the paw up. that is one thing i excel at myself on the hurling field.

The Claw

Say a man is in front of you. You can stick the paw up all you like but the chances are that he will get his stick to it. All you have to do is when his stick goes up, clear it out of the way with yours and your airspace is free!