Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

he'll get his extension yet. another few articles in irish new and he is home and dry.

BennyHarp

That was never a square ball!!

Fuzzman

Jaysus lads, he's only answering questions being asked by a BBC reporter. What should he say "Naw I don't want to answer that". Relax.

On another note, how can you see Tyrone approach the new mark rule.
With big Colm Cav showing the last few years how he can win clean ball around the middle should we try to use that the odd time if a team is pushing up on our short kickouts or should we stay away from them?
Colm wouldn't be known for his shooting unlike Sean or Mattie.

On the note of Ronan O'Neill from the previous page and why we never got to see McCurry, McAliskey and Ronan in the FF line, I think it's simply because we never play with 3 in our FF line any more. Ronan started last season well and no doubt it a talented player but often he was up there totally on his own with several defenders around him like v Donegal. Even PTG would struggle with tactics like that but I think if big Sean, Mark Bradley and McAliskey were to  stay in there most of the time then it would greatly enhance our attacking style. That would be my main wish for 2017 to play a 3 man FF line and allow the half forward line to come back to defend. At least it means if we do get the ball into a man in the FF line he has 2 men in support rather than be stripped of the ball right away.

southtyronegael

id love 2 see us keep 3 in full forward line but it wont matter cause we wont kick in into them. our game is all about running the ball at pace so they will have to carry it rite up and lay it off to attackers by which time the other team will have plenty of men back. it simply wont work. our gameplan will need to change fundamentaly to challenge the top teams.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Fuzzman on December 01, 2016, 11:09:39 AM
Jaysus lads, he's only answering questions being asked by a BBC reporter. What should he say "Naw I don't want to answer that". Relax.

On another note, how can you see Tyrone approach the new mark rule.
With big Colm Cav showing the last few years how he can win clean ball around the middle should we try to use that the odd time if a team is pushing up on our short kickouts or should we stay away from them?
Colm wouldn't be known for his shooting unlike Sean or Mattie.

On the note of Ronan O'Neill from the previous page and why we never got to see McCurry, McAliskey and Ronan in the FF line, I think it's simply because we never play with 3 in our FF line any more. Ronan started last season well and no doubt it a talented player but often he was up there totally on his own with several defenders around him like v Donegal. Even PTG would struggle with tactics like that but I think if big Sean, Mark Bradley and McAliskey were to  stay in there most of the time then it would greatly enhance our attacking style. That would be my main wish for 2017 to play a 3 man FF line and allow the half forward line to come back to defend. At least it means if we do get the ball into a man in the FF line he has 2 men in support rather than be stripped of the ball right away.

What purpose would kicking the ball into 3 small forwards playing against packed defences serve?

southtyronegael

i think he said one big full forward and 2 smaller. if the ball is moved forward fast enough with the kick then defences wont have time to get packed.

redzone

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 02, 2016, 08:46:22 PM
i think he said one big full forward and 2 smaller. if the ball is moved forward fast enough with the kick then defences wont have time to get packed.
The last part is true alright. But when playing a defensive screen (our defenders aren't good enough to go man to man ) we won't have the players in the half forward line to kick to. Who is this big forward, or we're is he going to come from. We don't have a geaney or a brogan

southtyronegael

sean cavanagh is the man next year. after that mattie donnelly.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 02, 2016, 08:46:22 PM

Didn't see big full forward there but in that interest, who is the big full forward? Niall McKenna, Cahir McCullagh? Cavanagh is not comfortable in there and will always end up dropping out the pitch, guys like McShane and the Donnellys are not full forwards and better utilised elsewhere.

I agree with having a big target man in there, it allows us to play with a bit more variety and let it in from time to time and as a result we're not as predictable and one dimensional but I just don't really see a natural solution for that role. Cavanagh doesn't work in there and he will always end up drifting out the pitch where he can influence the game.

southtyronegael

cavanagh won an all star in full forward in 08'. i remember mattie donnelly playin full forward in a league game against mayo few years ago and i think he scored 4 or 5 points from play. he was outstanding. he was moved to centre half back 2 games later but there ya go.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 02, 2016, 09:33:56 PM
sean cavanagh is the man next year. after that mattie donnelly.

Donnelly and Peter Harte are the beating heart of this side, everything goes through them. Putting Donnelly on the edge of the square where he could be a peripheral figure in games would be a daft move, IMO.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 02, 2016, 10:07:44 PM
cavanagh won an all star in full forward in 08'. i remember mattie donnelly playin full forward in a league game against mayo few years ago and i think he scored 4 or 5 points from play. he was outstanding. he was moved to centre half back 2 games later but there ya go.

Mattie Donnelly has won two all stars at midfield, why move him out of there on the basis of a league game?

Cavanagh has played at the edge of the square for two years, he ends up dropping out the pitch as he gets frustrated at not being able to influence the game in there as it passes him by. He came out the field and won us the Ulster final against Donegal this year. They're both key men and they're both much more important to us out the pitch. Whoever plays that role must be a natural at it, the only one I think we have in that mould is Niall McKenna, he has the size and mobility and it's his best position.

southtyronegael

everyone knows niall mc kenna will never play for tyrone while mickey harte is in charge. i agree he would be man for the job, great hands and natural ability plus his is bred for the job. polictics at play here unfortunately

Club boi

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 02, 2016, 10:12:10 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on December 02, 2016, 10:07:44 PM

Mattie Donnelly has won two all stars at midfield, why move him out of there on the basis of a league game?

Cavanagh has played at the edge of the square for two years, he ends up dropping out the pitch as he gets frustrated at not being able to influence the game in there as it passes him by. He came out the field and won us the Ulster final against Donegal this year. They're both key men and they're both much more important to us out the pitch. Whoever plays that role must be a natural at it, the only one I think we have in that mould is Niall McKenna, he has the size and mobility and it's his best position.

I don't know what I have missed or what some of you have seen but I can't remember Mc Kenna ever being outstanding at Full Forward