Martin O'Neill on what it means to be Irish

Started by Donagh, January 06, 2009, 11:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

An Uachtarán na hÉireann, Máire Pádraigín Bean Mhic Ghiolla Íosa, hosted a series of lectures in the Áras over Christmas on the topic of being Irish in modern Ireland. Broadcast on RTE radio last week, this is the first one by Martin O'Neill:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1231/martinoneillpresidentiallecture_av.html

baoithe

The second lecture was the best of them. Very interesting.

The third lecture by Padraig O Ceidigh was interesting and could  even be inspiring but it struck me that he was reciting a motivational talk that he often gives. Also, to my mind, he didn't answer the audience's questions adequately.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Thought MON's comments about being Irish in England and the attitudes shown to him, during the 70's was very interesting and corresponds to experiences suffered by members of my family over there in the 70's and 80's.
Tbc....

Donagh

Quote from: baoithe on January 06, 2009, 11:15:55 AM
The second lecture was the best of them. Very interesting.

The third lecture by Padraig O Ceidigh was interesting and could  even be inspiring but it struck me that he was reciting a motivational talk that he often gives. Also, to my mind, he didn't answer the audience's questions adequately.

Aye I heard the Louise Richardson one. It was interesting but I got the impression if she was answering the question on "what it means to be Irish to me", her answer would be "not a lot".

Clown

interesting comments from a man who went on record saying he wud hav loved the chance to manage england

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Clown on January 06, 2009, 11:36:43 AM
interesting comments from a man who went on record saying he wud hav loved the chance to manage england
I dont see a problem with that.
I'd manage england, take the £4million or so per year and get a very capable squad disciplined and ready to do a lot better than they have been doing and underachieving in recent years competitions

MON like any sane individual, doesnt hold anything against the English...most of us dont....

antigpa

I like O Neill and his sense of anything - a very grounded individual, very proud to be nationalist and a great contributor to both Nationalist and Unionist sporting folklore.  Very fair man.   

ziggysego

MON had a piece in the Irish News last week. He said he had to go to the "mainland" to play football as you couldn't in Ireland professionally. I added the quotes...
Testing Accessibility

Leo

Quote from: antigpa on January 06, 2009, 11:49:47 AM
I like O Neill and his sense of anything - a very grounded individual, very proud to be nationalist and a great contributor to both Nationalist and Unionist sporting folklore.  Very fair man.   

You sound like you know him. I do and am happy to confirm he is all of these things and more,  head and shoulders above some so-called "legends" of Irish soccer (from the opposite corner of the island!). He demonstrates what it is to be truly a good Irishman in an international context. All of his working life has been spent in Britain but he is proud to be Irish and we should be of him. His own children, although reared in England and Scotland, were brought up as Irish and consider themselves so.

His talk was honest, sometimes self-deprecating, and well received by his audience.
Fierce tame altogether

Donagh

Nice touch about bringing his daughters to the AI final in '03.

orangeman

Quote from: Clown on January 06, 2009, 11:36:43 AM

Really what he was saying was that it would have turned full circle - from being a Paddy to being King of the English game - that would have been some turnaround.

toiletroller

I think hes a legend. A spades a spade sorta bloke! Love watching him go nuts along the line and his goal celebrations!

Main Street

He told of the time that he was forbidden to play in the Ulster colleges final in Casement because of his soccer playing with Distillery.
Then he said that the Colleges contrived to have the game played in Tyrone where he was allowed to play. That was a strange one.

President McAleese comes across very well, more as a very positive educator/inspiration.

Leo

Quote from: Main Street on January 06, 2009, 01:05:52 PM
He told of the time that he was forbidden to play in the Ulster colleges final in Casement because of his soccer playing with Distillery.
Then he said that the Colleges contrived to have the game played in Tyrone where he was allowed to play. That was a strange one.

He was a high profile debutantsoccer player in his first season with Distillery. The Antrim  Co Board (well known for progress and tolerance) would not allow the Colleges final between two Belfast schools be played at Casement because of the sins of this one schoolboy footballer. Both teams and supporters had to travel to Coalisland.
Fierce tame altogether

saffron sam2

Quote from: Main Street on January 06, 2009, 01:05:52 PM

President McAleese comes across very well, more as a very positive educator/inspiration.

No that was the Antrim county board then, as now, populated by some of the greatest thinkers and administrators in the history of Gaelic Games.

It was just after the ban had been lifted (Antrim being one of two counties to oppose the lifting of the ban IIRC). The county board wouldn't release Casement for the final exactly for the reason outlined by Martin O'Neill. I think the final was played in Omagh, maybe even in the grounds of the CBS. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour by those involved in blocking Casement, but no surprise. The only surprise may be that the last remaining member of that board has only just left the Antrim county board.

Quote from: ziggysego on January 06, 2009, 11:53:23 AM
MON had a piece in the Irish News last week. He said he had to go to the "mainland" to play football as you couldn't in Ireland professionally. I added the quotes...

He did indeed. He is also reported as saying that he was booed when leading out the home team at Windsor Park (although no direct quote was given). We already know (courtesy of Evil Genius) that this was because a) he wasn't from Belfast, b) he wasn't playing for Manchester United or c) he wasn't from a famous 'footballing' family like the McCreerys.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet