Thoughts please

Started by tyrone girl, September 10, 2015, 01:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone girl

This is a bit of a random one and may seem a bit stupid but anyway here goes.

I was driving to work this morning and few miles up the road from home this taxi driver on the side of the road waved me down, said he had flat tyre, no jack and could he use my phone to call his office. Of course i said yeah thats fine. Then he says oh i have a kid in the car will you take him to school. Without even thinking and although i was running late for work i said ok and he takes this little 4 year old child out of his taxi and puts him in the front of my car and off i go!!!!

It was only as i was driving the child down the road i thought what the actual hell!!! I could be anyone and that man asked me nothing just took a child and placed him in my car and let me drive off. Im half minded to call the taxi firm and tell them it was a disgrace but maybe thats being petty and silly.

Bingo

Crazy stuff.

I'm sure Mammy and Daddy will be doing that exact thing this evening when the child tells them what happened.

Or was the child the taxi mans anyway?

NAG1

TG I think this should have gone in the WTF thread

So many levels of what the actual f@#k in this I wouldnt know where to start  :-X

tyrone girl

Wasnt his child as i asked him was that your daddy or your granda and he said no. But he was only 4 so will he even tell the parents this evening? Will he have the sense to. I probably should have told him to.

general_lee

You must have a trustworthy look about you which is a a rare trait these days, especially for Tyronies  :P

Seriously though that's a bit nuts. I find it odd the taxi man had no radio to call his office???

AZOffaly

Sounds as odd as f*ck. Did you check your phone to see who he actually rang?

tyrone girl

He couldnt get through to anyone with my phone cos he couldnt get a signal (the o2 signal is crap) . I took the child and left him there but when i drove back past on my way back to work someone had stopped with him and was changing his tyre.

brokencrossbar1

In a normal world there's absolutely nothing wrong with what you did.  You did the Good Samaritan and took a young child to school for someone in a fix.  It's unfortunately not a normal world in many places and christ knows who is about.  Make sure and check in with the taxi firm because at the end of the day the taxi man was the person who had responsibility for the child.

If the parents did make an issue about it I would ask the question why the f**k are they sending their 4 year old unaccompanied to school in a taxi?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 10, 2015, 01:40:49 PM
In a normal world there's absolutely nothing wrong with what you did.  You did the Good Samaritan and took a young child to school for someone in a fix.  It's unfortunately not a normal world in many places and christ knows who is about.  Make sure and check in with the taxi firm because at the end of the day the taxi man was the person who had responsibility for the child.

If the parents did make an issue about it I would ask the question why the f**k are they sending their 4 year old unaccompanied to school in a taxi?
Loads of children go to school in taxis believe it or not.

The Bearded One

I would say you were absolutely wrong to take the child anywhere and were very naïve to do so. How do you know you weren't been set up and some allegation against you won't arise even though you were only trying to do the right thing?
It is what it is. Presumably.

gallsman

Unbelievably odd and I can't imagine the kid's parents would be to pleased, and rightly so. They need/deserve to know about this as the taxi driver has been completely reckless and irresponsible. I'd absolutely phone the firm.

snoopdog

i find it unbelieveable that the taxi driver handed over a kid to a total stranger. He obv didnt care who you were.
Secondly god forbid you had been in an accident the child would not have been strapped into thecar correctly and imagine explaining to the family and police why that child was in your car.
I have no doubt your a decent person but the taxi driver didnt know that.
Scenario police checkpoint stops you.
good morning sir, drivers licence?
why is your child not in a child seat?
Eh, Its not my child,
so whos child is he.
Well i dont really know who he belongs to?
handcuffs,  station

laoislad

I think you were foolish taking the child.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

It's a tough one though. Your natural instinct is to help out, but I know for sure I wouldn't take the child without being put in contact with the parents, and even then I wouldn't if I was on my own in the car. Child Protection policies kick in, and even in the GAA you are not supposed to put yourself in a position where you are alone with any child not your own. Lifts to matches etc.

Hard to see what you could do here, but I'd probably have offered to drive to the school and get a teacher to come back with you, especially if it was close by.

tyrone girl

Hmm ok well i didnt particularly post this to have myself battered. I didnt think at the time, i took the child and dropped him at school. I get what you are all saying but at the end of the day who was the next person who was gonna come along the side of the road? He would have handed the child over to the next willing person. In this day and age god knows who that might be! To be honest im glad i took the child.

My point was more should i report it.