Connacht Club Championships 2016

Started by revsperminute, October 07, 2016, 01:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theyellowbus

This is a whole sorry mess and unfortunately the CC or the Roscommon CB are totally blameless.
I cannot understand why the first Junior and Intermediate finals were not played until the 09th of October while our Senior final was not played until last Sunday.
Roscommon were knocked out of an all ireland series back in July and we are playing finals in October??!!
Makes no sense.Its a lot of the reason why this Club player association is being formed and i can see it becoming a very divisive force within the organisation especially if it becomes militant in any shape or form.
Clubs and in particular club players are suffering because of the demands laid down by intercounty managers.

The Connacht Council have made a total c**k up here.As far as i am aware the next round from the winners of this game wasn't fixed until 05/06 November so surely this game could have been played under lights somewhere an evening this week to give the Kilmore lads a few days at least not ideal but a better outcome than having to play last Sunday.
In relation to the death of the gentleman and true gael Frank Dennehy it beggers belief that this game was not called off as a mark of respect.
This man coached teams at all levels in his beloved Kilmore and held id safely so most positions on their executive at some point in his life and as well as that was a great servant to Roscommon GAA and was secretary for as long as i can remember.I remember him presenting me with an underage medal donkeys years ago that's the type of man he was always ready oblige in the name of the GAA no matter what club and then this is the way his memory is treated and his family at this moment.
I was a the funeral yesterday evening and instead of the stories of yesteryear being spoken of from his days involved in GAA the only talk was about this sorry saga.
That's not right for his memory or his family.

Also while there is I'm sure numerous structures and officers in the Connacht Council there is only one person who calls the shots in that organisation and that is a very unhealthy situation.

westbound

A few people questioning why the final was so late when Roscommon were knocked out in july

there were 3 rounds of group games played in august,
2 knockout rounds played in September
final on 9th October.
Replay would have been on 16th October but Oran were playing the hurling final on 16th.

Ros Co. board suggested a midweek fixture for the replay but both Oran and Kilmore refused (rightly IMO).

In fairness, the fixtures were set out pretty well with 2 weeks between knockout games (to allow for replays) and there would not have been a problem if Oran were not also in the hurling final. (Oran are one of very few dual clubs in the county so the likelihood of them getting to both finals and there being a draw in both was small).

A few years ago, club championship fixtures in Roscommon were often fixed for June/july and depending how Roscommon were going in the qualifiers, championship games could be postponed or fixed with 1 weeks notice. This was not acceptable to the club players so the alternative was to fix club championship for August (some early rounds played in May). At least this way clubs and club players had a much better idea of when championship games would be played and could plan holidays etc.

I would often be critical of the Ros co. board, but I think they are not the ones to blame here.

The questions I would ask are:
1) Why was it possible to change the date of the senior club championship but not the intermediate?
2) What was wrong with using the free weekend (next weekend) for the fixture?
3) What is the justification for not granting a postponement due to the death of Frank Dennehy the Kilmore club president (and Roscommon GAA President).

Connacht council have all the answering to do (and our representatives to Connacht Council!)

macdanger2

Didn't realise that one club had a team in both finals and that the hurling went to a replay too. A postponement seems like a reasonable request then considering the circumstances

Cunny Funt

The Mayo senior and intermediate finals to be streamed live on this link later today.
http://livestream.com/accounts/15656115/events/6558103

Cunny Funt

That Mayo intermediate final was a poor fare. Westport the winners 0-10 to 0-4

Cunny Funt

Castlebar comfortable and leading 1-10 to 0-5. Paddy Durcan the stand out player with 1-3 from play but he went off there now with appears to be a hamstring injury.

Syferus

The old dogs for the hard road in Connacht. The last time one of Brigids, Corofin or Mitchels didn't win Connacht was 2007.

The last time one of Brigids or Corofin didn't feature in the Connacht final was 2004.

I expect another Brigids-Corofin final this year. That would be as nasty a club match as you're likely to find all year.

Cunny Funt

Castlebar 3-13 Knockmore 0-10 it finished.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 25, 2016, 09:05:13 AM
The Mayo and Roscommon hurling county finals both finished in draws the replays are due to played this weekend while the Connacht semi final between the Mayo and Roscommon champions was scheduled for bank holiday Monday. Will be interesting to see what the Connacht council do with this situation.

I see the Oran v Ballyhaunis Connacht semi final has been pushed back to Wednesday evening and the venue also changed from Athleague to COE in Bekan.

The switch made because the mother of one of the Oran players died last night.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

sligoman2

Tourlestrane v Mitchell's
David v Goliath
Town v  country

I think we can give Castlebar a decent battle and have good subs.  Hard to beat one of the best teams in the country but we can at least try...

What's the spread on this one?
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: sligoman2 on November 02, 2016, 04:22:43 PM
David v Goliath
Town v  country

I think we can give Castlebar a decent battle and have good subs.  Hard to beat one of the best teams in the country but we can at least try...

Anybody know if this game will be televised / streamed?
Am I right in saying it is in Markievicz Park Sat at 2?
Hasta la victoria siempre

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on November 03, 2016, 06:16:06 PM
David v Goliath
Town v  country

Not an TG4 anyway.

Ballyea v Thurles Sarsfields   beo
2-00pm

Oulart the Ballagh v St Rynaghs   iarbheo

MayoBuck

David v Goliath
Town v  country

It might be streamed live on localstreaming.club. They said they were going to try and show all of castlebar's games. 

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: MayoBuck on November 03, 2016, 07:00:31 PM
David v Goliath
Town v  country

It might be streamed live on localstreaming.club. They said they were going to try and show all of castlebar's games.

Thanks buck. Nothing on their twitter feed or website yet
Hasta la victoria siempre

Duine Eile

Tourlestrane 0-05 Castlebar Mitchels 1-10
So it's Castlebar versus Corofin next Sunday 13th November in McHale Park as expected.