Tax breaks for intercounty footballers

Started by Il Bomber Destro, January 06, 2018, 12:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Rossfan on January 07, 2018, 12:18:47 AM
A thread started by Bomber.
12 posts by Bomber in 2 pages
Last few are attacks on the "Free State Government "

Agenda or  what by one of the most narrow minded posters on GAABOARD.

The last thing I would consider myself is narrow minded. I've articulated why I think this is wrong, I have substantiated those claims. One line of response has been that the Free State government would not make decisions that were not in the national interest, all I've merely done is point how risible that point of view is when there are countless examples alone in the past year that contradict that.

I think it's ironic for you to call anyone narrow minded when you can't take any sort of relevant criticism.

Rossfan

You don't consider yourself narrow minded!!!!????
Was it Robbie Burns who longed for the gift to see ourselves as others see us 😀
You don't think it's right that grants/tax breaks should be given to elite GAA players.
Fair enough.
But then you go on a rant about a Government which you despise of a State you despise and I take it don't live in but want to join.
Your continuous "Free State" jibes and "Kerry FG yokel" comments betrays your one dimensional narrow view of the world.
Maybe you and Mr McElduff could do a double act sometime 😆😆
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

stew

Quote from: Rossfan on January 07, 2018, 10:54:52 AM
You don't think it's right that grants/tax breaks should be given to elite GAA players.
Fair enough.
But then you go on a rant about a Government which you despise of a State you despise and I take it don't live in but want to join.
Your continuous "Free State" jibes and "Kerry FG yokel" comments betrays your one dimensional narrow view of the world.

Who exactly are you to tell people they are narrow minded again?

You are clueless, as am I about Bombers mindset, I think I will take his word over yours on this thread, thanks.

If you are not a screaming liberal you are a bigot, racist arsehole! Is that about the height of it hi?

Tube.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Rossfan

Jasus Stew poor Bomber is in the halfpenny place compared to to Yankee right wing nut job Stew😁.
Just wondering where I was bigoted or racist?
And anyone calling someone an "arsehole"  ......enuf said about that individual.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Rossfan on January 07, 2018, 10:54:52 AM
Fair enough.

I don't, you're the one who can't accept any sort of valid and justifiable criticism. I have already pointed out that bringing the Free State Government's corruption and self serving nature only entered the debate when one poster defended the move by saying the Government would not make a decision unless it was in the interest of its people.

That's the bit you can't get your head around - valid and justifiable criticism.

Rossfan

Your very 1st post had "that FG yokel down in Kerry".

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Rossfan on January 07, 2018, 12:39:00 PM
Your very 1st post had "that FG yokel down in Kerry".

Yes, that's the person who is advocating tax breaks for GAA players?

Did you even read the article?

Rossfan

How about giving the man the respect of using his name and designation? Instead of the gratuitous insult.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Rossfan on January 07, 2018, 12:46:38 PM
How about giving the man the respect of using his name and designation? Instead of the gratuitous insult.

Why does he deserve respect? He's paid a monster salary in a dysfunctional Government and his proposal is to give the likes of people, who already do extremely well financially out of a hobby they pursue, who already have plenty of untaxed financial benefits and cash, even more breaks.

This is in the face of the state his party presides over having major social crises in housing and health, where poverty levels are rising and where wealth inequality is growing and growing.

So, no, I don't think he deserves any respect.

Itchy

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 06, 2018, 04:12:01 PM
Quote from: caprea on January 06, 2018, 03:26:40 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 06, 2018, 03:09:54 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on January 06, 2018, 02:04:58 PM
I have no issue with a certain tax band of say 15-20% for all inter-county lads. The player's grant would have to be taken off the table if it came in mind. That would be key. Then that money from the Govt could be used in other aspects of the GAA. It would sit better with me tbh than lads getting money for being a county player.
That is worse in my mind. Lads are getting money in their account for being a county player. The tax break way means they are keeping more of what they earn.

If you look at the amount of money the big matches bring to Dublin over the summer. If you look at the fact most villages have a defacto community centre in the form of a GAA clubhouse then why not?

NB
I would want the player's grant gone if that came in.

Playing for your county should not be about the money you can make from it and that is what it say.

Intercounty players have to make a lot of sacrifices but not really any more than any amateur sportsman. That they get preferential treatment does not sit well with me at all. I think it would be more apt for them to be taxed on their earnings, those lads with the sponsored cars should be paying tax on them, if you had it in a job it'd be taxed as a BIK. This myth that intercounty players, particularly with the big counties, are not well looked after is a bunch of nonsense.

It isn't, it's just a recognition of the value they have to the economy.

If GAA county games stopped it wouldn't just be a GAA issue it would be a national government issue as it would damage businesses and hence harm the economy.

Good man, you managed to contradict yourself there in a few words.

If it's not about earning money, it shouldn't be about earning money and that's exactly what tax breaks for players is about.  When the free state has such huge social issues in health and housing then it really does baffle the minfd that they are calling for lads in their early-mid 20s with free cars, university scolarships, no-show jobs, loads of untaxed earnings and freebies to get even more tax breaks.

What about the value club players bring to the economy or volunteers who ensure that games go ahead, what about the value the people who give up their own time free of charge to make sure underage teams and competitions can run their course, what about their value to the economy? The GAA would not exist without these people, neither would grassroots in other sports like football etc.

Why don't they evict working class families out of their homes and give them free houses while they're at it?

Tax breaks are about incentives to areas that can improve the economy. Typically done if their is a return on investment. I've personally no propen with this.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Itchy on January 07, 2018, 02:50:32 PM
I have no issue with a certain tax band of say 15-20% for all inter-county lads. The player's grant would have to be taken off the table if it came in mind. That would be key. Then that money from the Govt could be used in other aspects of the GAA. It would sit better with me tbh than lads getting money for being a county player.
That is worse in my mind. Lads are getting money in their account for being a county player. The tax break way means they are keeping more of what they earn.

If you look at the amount of money the big matches bring to Dublin over the summer. If you look at the fact most villages have a defacto community centre in the form of a GAA clubhouse then why not?

NB

Playing for your county should not be about the money you can make from it and that is what it say.

Intercounty players have to make a lot of sacrifices but not really any more than any amateur sportsman. That they get preferential treatment does not sit well with me at all. I think it would be more apt for them to be taxed on their earnings, those lads with the sponsored cars should be paying tax on them, if you had it in a job it'd be taxed as a BIK. This myth that intercounty players, particularly with the big counties, are not well looked after is a bunch of nonsense.

If GAA county games stopped it wouldn't just be a GAA issue it would be a national government issue as it would damage businesses and hence harm the economy.

If it's not about earning money, it shouldn't be about earning money and that's exactly what tax breaks for players is about.  When the free state has such huge social issues in health and housing then it really does baffle the minfd that they are calling for lads in their early-mid 20s with free cars, university scolarships, no-show jobs, loads of untaxed earnings and freebies to get even more tax breaks.

What about the value club players bring to the economy or volunteers who ensure that games go ahead, what about the value the people who give up their own time free of charge to make sure underage teams and competitions can run their course, what about their value to the economy? The GAA would not exist without these people, neither would grassroots in other sports like football etc.

Why don't they evict working class families out of their homes and give them free houses while they're at it?

Tax breaks are about incentives to areas that can improve the economy. Typically done if their is a return on investment. I've personally no propen with this.

How does giving intercounty players tax breaks boost the economy?

Avondhu star

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 07, 2018, 03:01:15 PM

NB

Exactly. If people didnt spend money going to GAA matches they will spend it elsewhere.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

caprea

Quote from: Avondhu star on January 07, 2018, 09:50:38 PM

NB

Exactly. If people didnt spend money going to GAA matches they will spend it elsewhere.

Perhaps on a holiday in Spain or a Japanese made TV?

Itchy

NB

More players stay playing, better standard, bigger crowds, more money spent by supporters and by tv companies and advertisers, more tax taken in. Alternative money spent on something else, possibly not irish.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 06, 2018, 10:25:42 PM
Quote from: caprea on January 06, 2018, 09:51:38 PM
Be realistic, you can't offer a tax break for every volunteer, there are too many and the system would be abused.

If tax breaks were only of interest to the elite players they wouldn't get them. The reason they could is because it is in the interest of the government to have a strong GAA intercounty game because it generates millions to the bottom line of various different businesses around the country.

I explained it and gave examples, I can't draw you a picture, you don't want it explained, you just want to rant.

What you "explained" is pie in the sky stuff.

There is zero need to offer tax breaks. It's elitism, these lads with their no-show jobs, sponsored cars, sponsorship deals and endorsements already make enough out of their status as intercounty fooballers. They don't need further tax breaks but it's in line with the way the game is going, professionals in all but name. I'd imagine guys like Bernard Brogan, O'Shea and Joe Canning make more in a year than any professional League of Ireland player and probably as much as some rugby internationals.

You keep rabbitting on about it generating millions, you completely overstate the revenue the GAA makes for the economy, it probably drains more out of the state than it generates. How many times does Croke Park fill up a year? 5/6 times tops. You might get Thurles full once a year and Clones full once a year and that's really about the height of it.

The GAA are the benefactors of this, not the state.
What a monumental load of shite!
Who are the lads with the no-show jobs, sponsorship deals and endorsements?
How many intercounty players get any, never mind all, of these?  You can imagine what you like but your imagination is a bit overworked to put it mildly.
What Brogan, Canning, O'Shea etc. may get is not coming from the GAA or the government . They deliver bang for their bucks for their sponsors and they wouldn't be getting anything if the sponsors weren't profiting from the arrangement.
Ten of the Mayo panel live in Dublin; some work and others are at college. A round trip three times a week to Ballyhaunis or wherever the squad may be training will come to close on 1,000 km a week.
That involves waiting until work or lectures are finished, piling three or four into a car, booting down for training and arriving back at maybe three in the morning and then having to be bright-eyed and bushy tailed for the following day's work/study.
Is that the glamorous lifestyle you say they enjoy?
How the hell do you know what any Irish professional soccer player is earning? "Any" be a small words but a helluva big word in meaning. Just how many Gaelic players earn more than "any" of their soccer counterparts?
Probably as much as some rugby internationals, sez you. Where did you get the "probably" from?
So you think Gaelic intercounty players are part of an elite group and they can shag off if they are not prepared to play as you want them to? According to you, they can all clear off and there will be plenty more to take their places if they do.
Where will they come from? Is it a case of the next in line taking over and then getting the same abuse from you and others who think intercounty players live a life of luxury .
Jaysus, I've just made up my mind about a unification referendum, if there ever is one.
Keep yer shite north of the border, where it belongs.  ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi