Mayo v Kildare Unofficial Official Thread

Started by Barney, March 24, 2008, 10:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Huge game in Newbridge for both teams.

Kildare's thrashing in Derry puts them in trouble with score difference, and with Kerry still to be played this is a must win.

Mayo have recovered from the Donegal defeat (which is making things really difficult) and were much improved defensively against a weakened Kerry forward line. However the return of McGarrity, Heaney and Trevor Mortimer over the past two games has been the decisive factor in improving things.

Toss of a coin really but the Lillies are hard beaten in Newbridge.

dodo

30.03.08 (Sun) @ 2.30pm

Roinn I
Cill Dara v Maigh Eo

Bí ann.....bí linn

moysider

Heard Peadar Gardiner got a bad belt  - head clash - yesterday. May be a doubt for Kildare match.
Chris Barrett had a very good match v Leitrim as did Cunniffe. Barrett an option for Kildare. With James Burke also performing well the halfback line is the best part of the U21 team. Midfield also strong but the forwards and the fullback line would not inspire optimism based on Sat. Campbell is not playing his best yet either. Anybody know why Conroy not on U21 team? Can anybody confirm whether he s U21 or not?
Colm Boyle could be tried at corner back I think. He s not tall but he s a very good footballer. I would like to see management try the following line up for Sunday.
Clarke
Cuniffe
Conroy [ interesting to see how he copes against a different system]
Boyle/Heaney
Heaney/Barrett
Howley
Higgins
Mcgarrity
Parsons
Gill/Harte
Dillon
Trevor
Conor
Austy
Moran

What to do with Billy Joe?

RedandGreenSniper

Peadar Gardiner broke his jaw - accidental clash with John Brogan in Crossmolina's league game with Knockmore - and is out for the rest of the league.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Dinny Breen

A relegation 4 pointer, what odds the draw. Kildare aren't too focused on the league, Mayo will win by 2/3 points..
#newbridgeornowhere

IolarCoisCuain

Where's handy to park in Newbridge? Haven't been there in years, and all those new motorways frighten me.

Dinny Breen

QuoteWhere's handy to park in Newbridge?

What direction are you coming from? Parking really isn't an issue, loads of street parking plus a multi-storey car-park in the middle of the town....
#newbridgeornowhere

the Deel Rover

just wondering have they installed the wooden spoon detectors in newbridge yet ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

lynchbhoy

Quote from: the Deel Rover on March 27, 2008, 02:26:17 PM
just wondering have they installed the wooden spoon detectors in newbridge yet ;)

LOL  :D

Dinny - the flour bags were fairly focussed on the league when playing Tyroneies etc - until as Barney puts it 'the thrasing' that Derry gave them !

Just mind the horses tied up outside the saloons in newbridge main street when yer parking lads. ;)

Dinny Breen

Jaysus Lynchbhoy, that's some set of balls your swinging there especially since it's 10 years since Derrys last Ulster and 15 years since there one and only All-Ireland.  :o

Considering McGeeney hasn't fielded anything close to a proabable 1st 15, I can safely assume that Division 1 survival is not his aim but I'm sure he was as disappointed with the arse stabbing that Derry give us as much as any Kildare supporter....

It's all about the bigger picture, no All-irelands are won in March  ;)
#newbridgeornowhere

WJP11

Mayo team for Sunday: David Clarke; Tom Cunniffe, Kieran Conroy, Colm Boyle; David Heaney, Trevor Howley, Keith Higgins; Ronan McGarritty, Tom Parsons; James Gill, Alan Dillon, Trevor Mortimor; Conor Mortimor, Austin O'Malley, Andy Moran.

See http://mayogaablog.com/ for more.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on March 24, 2008, 04:28:10 PM
Heard Peadar Gardiner got a bad belt  - head clash - yesterday. May be a doubt for Kildare match.
Chris Barrett had a very good match v Leitrim as did Cunniffe. Barrett an option for Kildare. With James Burke also performing well the halfback line is the best part of the U21 team. Midfield also strong but the forwards and the fullback line would not inspire optimism based on Sat. Campbell is not playing his best yet either. Anybody know why Conroy not on U21 team? Can anybody confirm whether he s U21 or not?
Colm Boyle could be tried at corner back I think. He s not tall but he s a very good footballer. I would like to see management try the following line up for Sunday.
Clarke
Cuniffe
Conroy [ interesting to see how he copes against a different system]
Boyle/Heaney
Heaney/Barrett
Howley
Higgins
Mcgarrity
Parsons
Gill/Harte
Dillon
Trevor
Conor
Austy
Moran

What to do with Billy Joe?

Quote from: WJP11 on March 28, 2008, 12:05:13 AM
Mayo team for Sunday: David Clarke; Tom Cunniffe, Kieran Conroy, Colm Boyle; David Heaney, Trevor Howley, Keith Higgins; Ronan McGarritty, Tom Parsons; James Gill, Alan Dillon, Trevor Mortimor; Conor Mortimor, Austin O'Malley, Andy Moran.

See http://mayogaablog.com/ for more.

Come on Moysider, tell us which member of management are you! Are you Tommy Lyons in disguise?!
Be interesting to see how Boyle gets on in the corner - wouldn't be his natural position like but then we're full of half backs and struggling in the full-back line . . .
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 27, 2008, 05:26:36 PM
Jaysus Lynchbhoy, that's some set of balls your swinging there especially since it's 10 years since Derrys last Ulster and 15 years since there one and only All-Ireland.  :o

Considering McGeeney hasn't fielded anything close to a proabable 1st 15, I can safely assume that Division 1 survival is not his aim but I'm sure he was as disappointed with the arse stabbing that Derry give us as much as any Kildare supporter....

It's all about the bigger picture, no All-irelands are won in March  ;)
thats a bit ironic/rich coming from a lilly - as they county still sighs whenever the name of larry stanley is uttered and comparisons are still made with the 'great 1928' team ! :D

Anyhow theres no point in talking about Derry or Kildare AI winning teams, anything before 2003 apparantly doesnt count - as football was only invented then  :D

plus you know I believe that our 15 years will become 16 years after 2008's championship...
McGeeney doesnt know his best 15 yet, but is falling into the same old trap of previous kildare managers - too many south kildaremen on the side! ;)

Lar Naparka

The Mayo side selected looks as settled as one could possibly hope for.
Boyle and Parsons are the only lads who haven't had an extended run on the senior side yet. I know you could add in Conroy but he seems to have strong claims on the no. 3 shirt already.
Parsons seems to be on form but I do wonder if himself and McGarrity are too close together in build and in their style of play – you'd need a grafter in there to pick up broken balls and lay into the opposition. Anyway, best of luck to them.
BTW, anyone knows if the game is being televised anywhere on the day. I can't get to games at the moment.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 28, 2008, 12:05:18 PM
The Mayo side selected looks as settled as one could possibly hope for.
Boyle and Parsons are the only lads who haven’t had an extended run on the senior side yet. I know you could add in Conroy but he seems to have strong claims on the no. 3 shirt already.
Parsons seems to be on form but I do wonder if himself and McGarrity are too close together in build and in their style of play – you’d need a grafter in there to pick up broken balls and lay into the opposition. Anyway, best of luck to them.
BTW, anyone knows if the game is being televised anywhere on the day. I can’t get to games at the moment.

Parsons has bulked up a lot since his spell in the US last year LNP, i have been very impressed with him especially when we played them last year in the club championship he was awesome that day and some of his high fielding was a joy to behold personally i think he will be well able to do the grafting. I think tg4 are showing the galway derry match do you will have to listen to it on mwr
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001