Mayo County Secretary gets 2 More Years

Started by Barney, September 18, 2007, 10:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Especially for Stephenite from the Mayo News:

QuoteMAYO GAA Board Secretary Seán Feeney was unanimously ratified for a further two years in his position last night, taking him up until the end of 2009. The increase in Feeney's term will also see a change in his role from a voluntary official to that of a part-time paid position.
Feeney, together with County Board chairman, James Waldron, told Monday night's County Board delegates meeting that they felt it best for Feeney to continue in his position while redevelopment work on McHale Park was set to begin.
Feeney was keen to stress that while he would be remunerated, he would prefer if he could continue in a voluntary capacity. "Because I have already served over five years, if I am to continue it has to be in a paid capacity," he told The Mayo News.
"For me payment is a secondary reason for remaining on. We are in the middle of a big infrastructural project at McHale Park and it wouldn't be practical to pass all the responsibility to someone at this stage. But it won't be any longer than two years. I definitely will be calling it a day at the end of 2009 and someone else will be taking over."
The proposal to extend his term received unanimous backing and is now only subject to ratification by Croke Park.
Regarding the re-development of McHale Park, James Waldron told the meeting that he expects the contract to go to tender before the end of October. He also added that as Mayo have home championship matches next year, they did not want to be in the middle of renovation work for those games.
"What we intend to do is carry out as much of the work on the new stand off-site and then commence work on-site in July or so. We are looking at having it ready by the following May (2009)," explained Waldron.
County Board Treasurer JP Lambe told the meeting that gate receipts for club championship games are on course to at least match last year's tally. To date, €148,540 has been taken in, in advance of county finals.
County Board Vice-Chairman Paddy McNicholas said that, due to the FBD Final in New York between Sligo IT and New York, the final round of county league games were now back to the weekend of October 21.
It was also announced that the 2008 Convention would take place in the Broadhaven Bay Hotel in Belmullet on December 10 next. The 2008 Comortás Peil na Gaeltachta Maigh Éo will be hosted by CLG Acaill, the meeting was told

Pietas

While not wanting to cast aspersions on the man's capabilities:
Surely any paid position should be advertised?
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Pietas on September 18, 2007, 10:54:10 AM
While not wanting to cast aspersions on the man's capabilities:
Surely any paid position should be advertised?

I was thinking the same thing myself. Typical of mayo we can afford to pay the officials but the players come 2nd for e.g before the Cork league game the players drove down to Cork played them saturday evening and drove back that night rather than stay over in a hotel they then had to play club matches that sunday after a 12 hour bus journey.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Barney

At least they have the sense not to start rebuilding at McHale Park until after next Summer.

We have home advantage against any of the four teams we can draw.

MrB

County Board Vice-Chairman Paddy McNicholas said that, due to the FBD Final in New York between Sligo IT and New York, the final round of county league games were now back to the weekend of October 21.

Anyone any opinion on this quote? How many Mayo players are involved with Sligo IT. This is not good enough reason to push back the last round of the league

Barney

I'd say its suits travelling rather than players they are worried about

stephenite

At least it gives me two years of complaining about him every time he opens his mouth in the media re team selections,  player welfare, climate change etc.

stephenite

Not to mention is disgraceful attempts to change the county colours >:(

Farrandeelin

I remember that thing about the colours alright. I didn't know it was him who said anything though. And he is a right pr*ck regarding team selections and the likes. At least we have the home games next Summer though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

joemamas

spoke to a former manager of mayo during the summer, said that he was very difficult to get along with. bordered on parinoia when he thought his policies were being questioned.

same shit, different day. the same people have been running it for twenty years, and while i respect the time they put it, it appears to have become an power/control issue.

bottom line, the delegates are the ones to blame , their lack of balls/failure to rock boat is pathetic. did anybody question appointment.

stephenite

Quote from: joemamas on September 19, 2007, 12:56:08 AM
spoke to a former manager of mayo during the summer, said that he was very difficult to get along with. bordered on parinoia when he thought his policies were being questioned.

same shit, different day. the same people have been running it for twenty years, and while i respect the time they put it, it appears to have become an power/control issue.

bottom line, the delegates are the ones to blame , their lack of balls/failure to rock boat is pathetic. did anybody question appointment.

You've hit the nail on the head there Joe. Delegates should have acted and by all accounts there is a power base within the executive that nobody dares to try and usurp.

I know people who have been involved over the years, and they all say that he is fine on a personal level but harbours ambitions that are probably well above his limited abilities, it was the constant public comments that irked me, the embarrassment that was the Last Word interview prior to the Rule 42 congress etc. Not mention the furore he caused when deciding that he could dictate National GAA policy be declaring live on National radio that the GAA was a political as well as a Sporting association when he tried to disgracefully drag the GAA into the Padriac Nally affair, a public rebuke from HQ was all that saved us from that episode

That said, he's there for now and obviously wants to oversee the redevelopment - Sean Feeney Park anyone?

stephenite

thevoiceofreason

an absolute idiot on a power trip and nothing more its a shame spoke to MM after his sacking and he said now understood why mayo football hadnt achieved, he came to MM with a list of player that WERE to be brought onto the panel even before trials- buck stops with these idiots they are the only common denominator in all that has gone wrong over the past 20 years, it will be like winning an all ireland when we get rid of him and his cronies- incompetent is too good of a word to describe him, and to go on radio and defend murder well it just sums him up really