Div 1 Mayo v Down Official Thread

Started by Barney, January 30, 2011, 07:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

So the real stuff gets underway for James Horan.

A good FBD League and the 50ish players involved to date will have to be culled. I think there will be trial and error involved in getting the best team out and this is a 2/3 year project now. I like what I see so far though even if Div 1 survival will be tough.

Home games are going to be crucial and we have 4 so lets hope that helps us.

A guess at team? Its impossible to know. From talking to a few players it is definitely a case of thinking towards Summer rather than short term goals like the last few years.

Farrandeelin

Maybe I'm too negative, but I think that the first three games (against Down, Kerry and Galway)will decide our league this year and I have a genuine fear that we could end up with nothing from any of them.

However, the lads could also be 'up for it' especially as we face the All-Ireland finalists from last year and Horan's first league game in charge, let's hope so anyway. I still think Down will win, I hope I'm wrong obviously but it's going to be impossible to call a starting 15 for Mayo this early.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

SHEEDY

we have 4 away games all as tough as they come. mayo, the dubs, kerry and cork all away. we'll prob need to get a result in 1 of those to stay in div 1. so heres hoping for a win next wk to get the season of to a great start. any good watering holes in castlebar?
nil satis nisi optimum

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: SHEEDY on January 30, 2011, 08:34:36 PM
we have 4 away games all as tough as they come. mayo, the dubs, kerry and cork all away. we'll prob need to get a result in 1 of those to stay in div 1. so heres hoping for a win next wk to get the season of to a great start. any good watering holes in castlebar?

Loads of them SHEEDY, stick around Linenhall Street, Rush Street and up as far as Byrnes on Main Street and you won't go far wrong. Head down to Johnny's on Newantrim Street as well if you have time, its at the same end of town which is the easy end for getting up to the ground.

As Barney said without even knowing a panel to choose from its impossible to pick a Mayo 15 that Horan would be likely to go with. I'd like to see him mix a bit of the old and new - in these seven league games as far as I'm concerned he has nothing to lose anyway.

Here is the kind of 15 I would like to see out (obviously not a prediction of what might be picked):

Clarke

Hallinan      Killeen    Higgins

Barrett    Cafferkey  McLoughlin

Gibbons      McGarrity

Campbell  C Freeman  Dillon

A Moran  A Freeman  Ronaldson

...in other words a fair injection of freshness to the lineup from the JOM days but with experience in every line of the pitch as well to bring them on. If there is a panel of 30 picked later this week it will give us a better idea of Horan's mindset for the league campaign at least.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

RedandGreenSniper

I can't see Chris Barrett or David Killeen starting just yet. Very hard team to pick.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Head to Ballina for the watering Sheedy.

Couldn't make the game in Ballinamore unfortunately and I would have liked a look at few players again. I like Cosmo Kramer's team but I d tweak it a biteen. Clarkey unlikely to feature -injured- as well.I m assuming the 2 O Sés not ready for this either as well as others like Parsons.  We don't know what the management have in mind (and we can be sure they have something definite in mind) but I would welcome a largely 'breath of fresh air' team like this.
O Malley, Hallinan, R Feeney, McLoughlin, Higgins, Cafferkey, Burke, B.Moran, R McGarrity, Campbell, C. Freeman, Dillon, Varley, Freeman, Ronaldson.

We all know what the Andys and Trevors and Peadars have to offer at this stage and they should have the experience to knit in when and if they are needed.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on January 30, 2011, 10:51:33 PM

Couldn't make the game in Ballinamore unfortunately and I would have liked a look at few players again. I like Cosmo Kramer's team but I d tweak it a biteen. Clarkey unlikely to feature -injured- as well.I m assuming the 2 O Sés not ready for this either as well as others like Parsons.  We don't know what the management have in mind (and we can be sure they have something definite in mind) but I would welcome a largely 'breath of fresh air' team like this.
O Malley, Hallinan, R Feeney, McLoughlin, Higgins, Cafferkey, Burke, B.Moran, R McGarrity, Campbell, C. Freeman, Dillon, Varley, Freeman, Ronaldson.

We all know what the Andys and Trevors and Peadars have to offer at this stage and they should have the experience to knit in when and if they are needed.

I'd go along with that team nearly in its entirety. But would sway towards Hennelly in goal with Jason Gibbons at midfield with Barry Moran as I would lump McGarrity into the same category as the Andys and Peadars. Would agree to trying Higgins at five but with certain reservations. Wouldn't be too disappointed to see Killeen at full-back either with Richie Feeney in the corner.

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 30, 2011, 10:55:50 PM

I'd go along with that team nearly in its entirety. But would sway towards Hennelly in goal with Jason Gibbons at midfield with Barry Moran as I would lump McGarrity into the same category as the Andys and Peadars. Would agree to trying Higgins at five but with certain reservations. Wouldn't be too disappointed to see Killeen at full-back either with Richie Feeney in the corner.

Yeah. Killeen looked promising and I think Feeney should start. I d start McGarrity because I still think he is probably best midfielder we have to get a grip around the middle. We need to keep the core strong with likes of Higgins, Dillon,  McGar in the team. I think we need to be very competitive around the middle for this team to take off. I like Gibbons and he ll come along. But it is unbelievable that we find ourselves in such a lurch with such a small core to call on.
  Down might not be the worst team to start off with. I expect us to be hungry while Down are too cool and successful to be hungry in February. We ll wait and see what team Down put out ( and ourselves for that matter) before we talk about match-ups and tactics and stuff. Really looking forward to this game I have to say.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on January 30, 2011, 11:16:48 PM

Yeah. Killeen looked promising and I think Feeney should start. I d start McGarrity because I still think he is probably best midfielder we have to get a grip around the middle. We need to keep the core strong with likes of Higgins, Dillon,  McGar in the team. I think we need to be very competitive around the middle for this team to take off. I like Gibbons and he ll come along. But it is unbelievable that we find ourselves in such a lurch with such a small core to call on.
  Down might not be the worst team to start off with. I expect us to be hungry while Down are too cool and successful to be hungry in February. We ll wait and see what team Down put out ( and ourselves for that matter) before we talk about match-ups and tactics and stuff. Really looking forward to this game I have to say.

Problem is Ronan is hardly likely to kill himself with effort in February either, although he ought to do so with a glance over his shoulder to the competition. But maybe he might work better with Gibbons than Moran and Gibbons. We'll see. Yeah incredible to see how few key men we have. While there are maybe five lads who willl probably start in championship that we could name now (Clarke, Higgins, Cafferkey, McGarrity and Dillon), Dillon is the only one I could say is a nailed on certainty. That's no bad thing in terms of competition for places but just goes to show how much tatters this side was left in.

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 30, 2011, 11:54:21 PM
Quote from: moysider on January 30, 2011, 11:16:48 PM

Problem is Ronan is hardly likely to kill himself with effort in February either, although he ought to do so with a glance over his shoulder to the competition. But maybe he might work better with Gibbons than Moran and Gibbons. We'll see. Yeah incredible to see how few key men we have. While there are maybe five lads who willl probably start in championship that we could name now (Clarke, Higgins, Cafferkey, McGarrity and Dillon), Dillon is the only one I could say is a nailed on certainty. That's no bad thing in terms of competition for places but just goes to show how much tatters this side was left in.

Indeed. Ronaldson is a go to player in this squad now without ever being a regular. Ok, its early days and we have to wait for a panel, never mind a starting 15 for next Saturday but we might find that this management has done more team building and worked on team ethic in a few months than the previous did in ..... well if they were there for ever. Wish I was in Ballinamore to see, because no matter what anybody says, to get a result like that with a team playing together for the first time is good going.

Banana Man

honestly don't know what to expect of this game, read the sunday world division 1 review yesterday and they reckon Down will be lucky to stay in the top flight, avoiding relegation on the last day, couldn't really argue with that tbh

AbbeySider

There is a lot of talk about K Higgins on the thread; im not sure if he is even in contention to start. He was very shaky against Roscommon, looked rusty and not in great shape. Whereas he may feature later in the league or in the championship, im not sure will he start at the weekend.

My teams would be shaping up as follows:

O Malley (Clarke defo inj ??)

Hallinan     Alan Feeney/Killeen     Richie Feeney
Gardiner     Cafferkey     McLoughlin

Or he may choose Cafferkey in the full back line as its a little in experienced so it could be

Hallinan     Cafferkey     Richie Feeney
Gardiner     Cunneffe/Howley     McLoughlin

Midfield, judging on performances so far:

Gibbons      McGarrity

Forwards, again going by performances:

Campbell     Dillon     A Moran

Aidan O Shea     A Freeman     Ronaldson

Id say Douglas, Varley and Doherty are all in contention too. Its so hard to call

rosnarun

s an almost impossible team to pick. HOE
rAN HAS usd so amnt player an so mant plaers are still with their colleges you nearly forget about all of them .
so i think what ever team is out it will be experimental. a mixture some guys in last chance saloon like cafferkey AOM kieren conroy  a selection of the new guys and hopefuly backboned by  expeience.
its important to give peole a fair chance but its time decisions were made and the squad cut a manageable size.
im loding trasck of all the names being bandied about now
like who is Duggan where from where does he play?.
my team for the crack
o malley
C barret K keane Higgins
Gardiner Howley Mcloughlin
Gibbons      McGarrity
campbell  ronaldson a o SE
a freeman B moran a moran
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tubberman

Quote from: rosnarun on January 31, 2011, 10:45:20 PM
s an almost impossible team to pick. HOE
rAN HAS usd so amnt player an so mant plaers are still with their colleges you nearly forget about all of them .
so i think what ever team is out it will be experimental. a mixture some guys in last chance saloon like cafferkey AOM kieren conroy  a selection of the new guys and hopefuly backboned by  expeience.
its important to give peole a fair chance but its time decisions were made and the squad cut a manageable size.
im loding trasck of all the names being bandied about now
my team for the crack
o malley
C barret K keane Higgins
Gardiner Howley Mcloughlin
Gibbons      McGarrity
campbell  ronaldson a o SE
a freeman B moran a moran

Took a fair bit of effort to make sense of the some of those sentences  :D
No idea who Duggan is - think Abbeysider got the name mixed up.

On the team you named, I wouldn't have either Barrett or Higgins in the corners - Hallinan and Richie Feeney would be my picks.
I think Kevin Keane could do well at FB alright, but it's a long time since I saw him play there so can't say that with much confidence.
I don't know why you think Cafferkey would be in the last chance saloon?? He has been our best performer at FB since Heaney, even though I don't think he's entirely convincing there.

The half-back isn't bad but I'd have Higgins on one wing, Vaughan if fit on another wing (or possibly CHB) and Howley.
Agree on the midfield, Gibbons is an excellent kick passer, if he can perform consistently he'll be a real asset. Bit of a concern himself and McGarrity might be a bit similar, neither a grafter type really. But would like to see them tried anyway.

I wouldn't put Ronaldson as CHF, primarily due to his size, but also because he's been scoring heavily inside so may as well leave him in there. I'dagree on Campbell, always liked his physicality and he's not lacking in scoring ability either.
Would have my doubts about AOS on the wing - doesn't really have the pace for that. I think he needs to be in a central position - either CHF or more likely FF.
I'd have Dillon and Cathal Freeman in the half forward line along with Campbell. Dillon is proven, Freeman to see how he gets on.
FF line, I'd have Varley, A Freeman and Ronnie. Andy Moran is a great worker but is not a heavy scorer and i don't think he's ever played well in the corner - he's half forward or not in starting line-up IMO.
I saw Varley against the Rossies in Ballyhaunis and he was excellent. He was always making himself available, if the ball is sent in early and fast, he'll win more than his fair share.
I think himself and Ronnie would thrive off ball put in fast to the wings, or won by A Freeman.

Won't be at the Down match - have something else on that weekend. Raging I'll miss it.
Hope to find a pub in Doolin with Setanta Sports 1!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

Quote from: rosnarun on January 31, 2011, 11:09:52 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on January 31, 2011, 11:09:52 PM
Took a fair bit of effort to make sense of the some of those sentences  :D

Typo, meant Neil Douglas who is doing well with NIUG ;)  :P

BTW Ros are you taking the piss a bit with your team?