Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na Glinntí Glasa

with respect to them pair mentioned they are decent hurlers at Div 3 level. saying they could just go and compete with teams down south is a bit much esp if they are coming up against teams like limerick, Clare, Kerry etc

Massive step up from playing O'Donnells, Na Magha etc and then those counties.
hurl like f**k boi!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 18, 2015, 11:05:43 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 18, 2015, 09:55:34 AM
never seems to stop the other counties putting minors onto their panels and clubs in antrim playing them, but then again we know everything in antrim about a good county set up!

Bannside is correct in their post, these lads need looked after and filtered into the county set up. Their continued development at this level is important if we are hoping to keep them going into our county set up. That minor team were unlucky in the Dublin game, had they a full team out they might have beaten that dublin team. There wasnt much between the two teams.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 17, 2015, 01:59:23 PM
Quote from: fatheadpg1 on November 17, 2015, 01:47:01 PM
NAG1 what would you know about hurling coby is an excellent young hurler who starred for antrim minors and helped st Louis win a mageaan and played a significant part in the final scoring 1-4 from play... He would give any hurler the fill of it

Youth is great and dandy to have especially if they are gifted and strong... But have you seen the Carlow and Westmeath's lately ? big physical teams who have imposed their strength over us the last number of years as did Laois Kerry and the other middle tier teams... when down in that division you need a bitta steel.... let the lad develop at minor/under 21 before burning him out at senior.... No?

Hmmm  ::)  I think you'll find Bannside was repeating my post DR.... move on please nothing to see here  :P

:o didnt notice that, my bads  ;D
hurl like f**k boi!

fatheadpg1

dunloy r i see you point maybe a few years in division 2 might improve them as hurlers - would still have a few of those younger dunloy ones in about the panel in the next couple of years true hurlers

NAG1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 18, 2015, 12:10:29 PM
with respect to them pair mentioned they are decent hurlers at Div 3 level. saying they could just go and compete with teams down south is a bit much esp if they are coming up against teams like limerick, Clare, Kerry etc

DR -  I suspect a WUM

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: fatheadpg1 on November 18, 2015, 12:13:38 PM
dunloy r i see you point maybe a few years in division 2 might improve them as hurlers - would still have a few of those younger dunloy ones in about the panel in the next couple of years true hurlers

Its about getting the young lads into the development squads. Fellas from clubs like rasharkin etc and getting them committing to the dev squads will only improve them.
The clubs need to buy into this themselves and encourage the youngsters into the squads. That and improving the underage coaching is all vital for the youngsters.
hurl like f**k boi!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: NAG1 on November 18, 2015, 12:23:07 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 18, 2015, 12:10:29 PM

DR -  I suspect a WUM

;D we can only but answer with reasoned responses
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Someone has found their way from hoganstand .... is that discussion board still going?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

The best development squads we have - are called clubs.

Jesusjones

I agree. Getting the clubs playing regular matches is the best thing we could do to improve the county team. Get every level and age group playing regular matches. Time for players to play more matches and do less training. Introduce new competitions if needs be. Underage hurlers need matches. We often have young lads on club minor teams training two or three times a week for a month without getting a match. Senior teams often face this issue as well. Playing matches will improve your hurling far more than training, gym work, ice baths, standing in the fuckin sea, taking protein shakes, drinking powerade, following a diet or staying off the beer. Players should have a match for every 2 training sessions but no more than 2 training sessions and 1 match a week.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Jesusjones on November 18, 2015, 06:44:28 PM
I agree. Getting the clubs playing regular matches is the best thing we could do to improve the county team. Get every level and age group playing regular matches. Time for players to play more matches and do less training. Introduce new competitions if needs be. Underage hurlers need matches. We often have young lads on club minor teams training two or three times a week for a month without getting a match. Senior teams often face this issue as well. Playing matches will improve your hurling far more than training, gym work, ice baths, standing in the fuckin sea, taking protein shakes, drinking powerade, following a diet or staying off the beer. Players should have a match for every 2 training sessions but no more than 2 training sessions and 1 match a week.

Common sense - but where would this leave all the parasites taking endless sessions for different clubs to pay their mortgage.  ;)

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: btdtgtt on November 18, 2015, 06:12:44 PM
PJ has already said in several interviews that he's not going to interfere with the clubs. Players will always be available to their clubs, makes a refreshing change.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Sleeping giant

Quote from: Jesusjones on November 18, 2015, 06:44:28 PM
+1.  Spoken like a real old timer  ;D. But 100% correct.
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 18, 2015, 07:22:58 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on November 18, 2015, 06:12:44 PM
PJ has already said in several interviews that he's not going to interfere with the clubs. Players will always be available to their clubs, makes a refreshing change.

Great.
To be honest my point was aimed at the bigger picture.
Underage development squads.
I'm not against them.
But - if a club has say 20 under X aged hurlers.
5 go the county "development" squad.
2/3 unavailable for whatever genuine reason.
This means about a dozen hurlers fail to be developed!
Matches & training called off for young lads because of players away training with county development squads! It's really quite insane! And it happens often due to overlapping ages & codes.
Magnify this across all the clubs and you have a lot of ids falling through the net at a young age.
Our playing pool dwindles rather than - develops.
I question if at these younger ages what is done at the county development squads is any different let alone better than what young hurlers can get at their local clubs.
So yet again, the bigger picture falls down at the behest of the guys involved with the "development" squads.
But then are the guys with the Antrim track suits & ties worried about the long term or the bigger picture?
Often not.
Often their little empire.

So at underage and senior - we must look at broadening the player base - rising tide lifts all boats and all that.

delgany

Devemopment squads  didnt harm  dublin hurling  too badly

theskull1

If we have the right talent that learn they can compete well at juvenile level down south it will help them compete better come senior.

Not that many matches affected by dev squads. Clubs should train away regardless but I'd agree that dev squads should be reliant on clubs doing the lions share of the player development. There are some players on squads who look badly short on stickwork though I presume as a result of poor basic coaching in their clubs.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera