Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Therealdonald

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on May 31, 2018, 05:38:05 PM
Quote from: WT4E on May 31, 2018, 04:30:28 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on May 31, 2018, 02:11:40 PM
Quote from: WT4E on May 31, 2018, 12:48:20 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on May 31, 2018, 12:11:34 PM
Was Sean's criticism not the lack of flexibility in the defensive system employed by Tyrone?  Tyrone only knew how to play one system and didn't have a plan B or have the ability to change it up?  I think Gavin Devlin has made a huge error for acknowledging Cavanagh's comments but then going further to question Sean's contribution to to panel during his time as captain.  As some posters already have said.  A penny for Colm Cavanagh's thoughts?  Our only real leader left on the panel has potentially been side-lined by inappropriate comments from Gavin Devlin his brother.  If anything had to be said I think Mickey had the right approach, Sean is entitled to his opinion and leave it at that.  They have a job to do with the current squad that his comments may have compromised.

Fixed that for you.  ;)

I'm not looking to take sides, both said things that were ill judged and badly timed.  I jst feel the management of Tyrone should be looking at the bigger picture and not looking for cheap shots in the media.  Everyone knows why Sean is speaking out to create a media profile for himself.  The response was ridiculous, regardless of comment Cavanagh is one of the greatest ever to pull on a county jersey.  Will we see a response to Owen Mulligan as well?

Hate this type of comment once you give an honest opinion on someone you get this "but sure he is an unbelievable footballer" - Its the same when you try to say maybe its time for Mickey to step down/get the road - "but sure he won us 3 all irelands!!!"

Sean Cavanagh made the comments and put his brother in this position had he not made the comments there was nothing to reply too - and to add to it after the game he tells us that Colm wasn't injured and didnt want to come off! Spare me the Cavanagh Fandom!

Mickey has been a great manager and delivered 3 all Ireland's, that's true and I'd never criticize him for that. But as older players lose their legs and can no longer sustain the pace I think the same of Mickey. The time is right for a new voice.

However my point was that the commentary by Devlin was unnecessary, is this personal opinion or is Gavin acting as Mickey's puppet? What is the opinion of the county board regarding this interview? Everything Cavanagh said is hard to argue with, Tyrone were locked in a defensive system with no back up plan.

I'd say this is Devlin making his case to be Mickey's assistant again next year, because we all know that when it goes belly-up, the assistant's get the cull.

southtyronegael

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 31, 2018, 10:10:47 AM
I suppose without putting Devlins comments into context makes it look bad and to be fair it doesn't look good. But Devlins point was that every previous captain would come and chat and contribute to team tactics, this is part of the process. They had many meetings with Sean regarding tactics and not once did he suggest he had any problems with the style of play or contribute to the team tactics. As soon as he leaves, he goes on a rant to RTE. I think that's a fair enough comment for Devlin to make. Canavan, Cormac and Dooher and did contribute in their role as captain - why didn't Sean if he felt so strongly about things? I don't like dirty linen being laundered in public but the media story can't all be one way traffic.
benny dont be talking shite about 'the process', we are not dublin, we do not have jim gavin as manager. there is no process. just a shambles. for what its worth i think cavanagh is right in what he said but i just wish he would have spoken up more while he was playing rather than wait til now. but nobody can  say he was not a good captain. he led on the pitch and dragged us through alot of games on his own.we surely wouldnt have won ulster final 2016 without him and many other games.

bigtogs

So the men who had Cavanagh as Captain for about 6 or 7 years now say he was a dung captain and thats why we never won an all ireland???

yellowcard

I'm certainly no fan of Mickey Harte but Cavanagh has been somewhat surprisingly critical of the Tyrone management since he left. Unless there was some sort of personal grievance that wasn't obvious whilst he was playing then it does seem peculiar. Either that or he is just trying to kick start his media career. I wouldn't be Cavanaghs biggest fan either since it always appeared to be all about the 'me' and not the team. It appears to me as though he has taken the populist approach and is playing to the gallery since there already exists plenty of anti Harte sentiment in Tyrone. However whether you like him or not, it has shown a fierce sense of disloyalty on Cavanaghs part and Harte will have been stung by his comments.

Devlin hitting back in some sort of tit for tat war isn't going to help unless he is very confident that Cavanagh hasn't been sowing seeds of disaffection among his former team mates with his comments. The fact that his brother is still a key part of the set up only adds to the intrigue. 

Localexpert

Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2018, 09:34:42 PM
I'm certainly no fan of Mickey Harte but Cavanagh has been somewhat surprisingly critical of the Tyrone management since he left. Unless there was some sort of personal grievance that wasn't obvious whilst he was playing then it does seem peculiar. Either that or he is just trying to kick start his media career. I wouldn't be Cavanaghs biggest fan either since it always appeared to be all about the 'me' and not the team. It appears to me as though he has taken the populist approach and is playing to the gallery since there already exists plenty of anti Harte sentiment in Tyrone. However whether you like him or not, it has shown a fierce sense of disloyalty on Cavanaghs part and Harte will have been stung by his comments.

Devlin hitting back in some sort of tit for tat war isn't going to help unless he is very confident that Cavanagh hasn't been sowing seeds of disaffection among his former team mates with his comments. The fact that his brother is still a key part of the set up only adds to the intrigue.

In fairness micky has had amicable relationships with players before when their family members were putting the boot in eg Frank mcguigans infamous article regarding Mark harte..... maybe shea mcguigan paying the price for that one now though  ::)

Jim Bob

Franks 'infamous' article was penned in 2005. 3 years later his son was scoring a goal for Tyrone in an All Ireland Final. Hardly suggests Harte had a grievance with clan  McGuigan.

redzone

Quote from: The Trap on May 31, 2018, 12:24:20 PM
Zidane leaves Real Madrid as one of the club's most successful managers having won three Champions Leagues, two Fifa Club World Cups and one La Liga title.

"I've taken the decision to not continue next year as Real Madrid coach," Zidane told reporters.

"This is the right moment for everyone, it might seem a bit strange, but it had to be done for the good of everyone, the players, the club, and myself. This team must keep winning, and it needs a change after three years, another voice, another method of working."

Will zidane ever have as great a compliment as to be compared to Harte. Fair play.

Thebigdog

Meath game live on Sky. Interesting to note, when they last met in 2013 big Sean Cavanagh was the difference between the two teams. A real captains role you could say. Larry and Moe on the sideline should bare that in mind come next week.

Localexpert

Quote from: Jim Bob on June 01, 2018, 12:26:01 AM
Franks 'infamous' article was penned in 2005. 3 years later his son was scoring a goal for Tyrone in an All Ireland Final. Hardly suggests Harte had a grievance with clan  McGuigan.

Don't think you understood what I was saying ol Han.  I agreed with you sure.

Under Lights

Ruairi Sludden has been drafted into the panel accoridng to my source. Skeet has picked up an injury as has Hampsey.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Localexpert on June 01, 2018, 10:58:58 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on June 01, 2018, 12:26:01 AM

Don't think you understood what I was saying ol Han.  I agreed with you sure.

We re on same wavelength ok. I just don't think Shea is out because of the article.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Under Lights on June 01, 2018, 11:30:13 AM
Ruairi Sludden has been drafted into the panel accoridng to my source. Skeet has picked up an injury as has Hampsey.

Jaysis, half the men on this board might get a call up at this stage!

Dire Ear

Quote from: Under Lights on June 01, 2018, 11:30:13 AM
You sure about those injuries ?

Tyrone Gaa

You'd be well pissed off if you're training since January, didn't make the 26 last day Sludden comes in and walks onto a panel. Strange bringing someone in at this stage
Living the dream!!!

BennyHarp

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on June 01, 2018, 03:10:57 PM
You'd be well pissed off if you're training since January, didn't make the 26 last day Sludden comes in and walks onto a panel. Strange bringing someone in at this stage

I'd say it's more to cover a few injuries, fairly sensible I'd say. If however, when he joins the panel he performs well enough then he shouldn't be treated any differently.
That was never a square ball!!