2019 Allianz Football League Division 3.

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, September 06, 2018, 12:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

At a time when we needed leaders, he was getting set off repeatedly.

Thanks but no thanks.

Unlaoised

Meaney would be a decent option when your getting cleaned out in the air in midfield
LAOIS ABÚ

Nameless

If a players attitude is wrong, he shouldn't be there. Simple as that. Doesn't matter what their name is. The days of players being able to act as they'd like, drink, not put in the effort etc and still get on the team are gone. I'm not referring to any specific player here by the way, just saying that if they're not getting selected, there's a reason for it.

Laoiseabu

Quote from: Countyminor on February 05, 2019, 07:02:58 PM
There seems to real hostility to change on this thread. Timmons, Donie, Begley, Meaney, O'Loughlin etc must have 50+ years of Laois combined between them and what have they to show for it? Give the young lads like Nerney, Tyrell, O'Flynn, Whelan, Byrne, Murphy etc a chance for god's sake. If it costs us Division 3 promotion so what, we aren't exactly destined for Division 1 anyways.
We might as well make the most of the older lads while we still have them cause they are all our better players . We should be fielding our strongest team and worry about replacing them when they do retire.

High Fielder

Quote from: Nameless on February 05, 2019, 09:37:24 PM
If a players attitude is wrong, he shouldn't be there. Simple as that. Doesn't matter what their name is. The days of players being able to act as they'd like, drink, not put in the effort etc and still get on the team are gone. I'm not referring to any specific player here by the way, just saying that if they're not getting selected, there's a reason for it.

Personally I'd rather go down with some sort of a fight. We have a very nice bunch of lads assembled. At times far too nice for my liking. I can't stand watching us get bullied

High Fielder

Quote from: Don Draper on February 05, 2019, 09:02:25 PM
At a time when we needed leaders, he was getting set off repeatedly.

Thanks but no thanks.

And that's fair enough too. Johnno and Lillis got tossed around on Saturday and Meaney doesn't really allow that to happen. He has his uses in my opinion but look, I'm not here to make the case for the defence. It's just an opinion

Giovanni

Wasn't at Louth match, but I personally would be happy with Lillis  and JOL on the basis of their consistent performances over several years. Both of them were outstanding against Down. I've rarely seen them "tossed around" in any game. I don't see that we're particularly short of aggression but we are a bit short of pace in that area.

I think Tyrell could be a very good footballer but he will need some time to grow into it and I think Sugrue is looking after him properly.

les Antiques

Kevin Meaney will be 34 this summer lads ,let's move on. In fairness he gave a good 10-12 years to Laois .
Midfield is definitely a worry going forward.

High Fielder

We have no target man and as On The Hop has been saying for a long time, that's ok if you have other ways of getting possession. The short kick out is our best friend and that's asking a lot of young inexperienced players. It also puts Brody under pressure

Laoiseabu

I stand corrected but I heard from a very reliable source that meaney didn't travel to Croker on Sunday on his own accord cause he wasn't on the 26 panel named. He was a decent ball winner something that we are badly lacking everywhere in our team at the moment . Tyrell will probably get the nod In place of Lillis but it still remains to be seen whether he will be good enough .Bracken from ods ,Eoin Dunne from Rosenallis and Daly from Joseph's were realeased from the panel after the O'Byrne cup . They were all being looked at for mid field .

on the hop

what ever about having a target man in midfield for kickouts, I just thought we should have had some sort of plan b when they pressed us. lumping it out when they had a clear height advantage is asking a lot of the two lads especially when at times they were moving backwards trying to field it. sean byrne was probably a loss as an option on the wing.  Dublin in the second game had a few basketball type moves where they bunched in the centre and then all broke to both sides, it reminded me of something Tully used to do with Ballyfin in the schools football. it was simple but very effective. With Lillis suspended I wonder who will start with the others it seems in the post above gone from the panel.

hopefully whoever does start doesn't fall into the lateral handpass that we often revert to when faced by a massed defense. A midfielder with pace that can break forward and long pass accurately is badly needed but there doesn't look to be too many of them around.

Tony

Meaney was a great servant to Laois over the years but he wasn't brilliant the last few seasons he was here. Just an observation. And Don is right to an extent in that, he was getting sent off when we were crying out for leaders to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. And from what i recall, they were clear sendings off, not just going for the ball too hard kind of sendings off. In that context, his attitude here seems off - in that, if he really wants his place back, he'll have to fight for it, just like everyone else. He can't just walk on the panel. Donie wasn't even allowed to do that last year and i commend the management team for taking that line. It commands respect and shows what kind of attitude is required. If Kevin wants to come back, let him fight for his place like everyone else. Simple as that. If he's upset that he was left out, that's nobody's fault but his own. Get better, don't moan and show everyone that you deserve your place, that's my advice. I have huge respect for anyone who does that.

PS Begley and JOL for midfield at the weekend, would be my pick. Give Piggott another go at number 6. Any update on Cahir? If we had Cahir and Timmons against Louth, for sure we wouldn't have concedes those goals, but, such is life.

les Antiques

I'd be worried about Healys pace particularly up against someone pacy in Croker.

High Fielder

Ah come on Tony. You know right well that some players get automatic places. Meaney had every right to look at the mess against Louth and ask the question. Sugrue obviously has some regard for him or else he would have released him. Lillis and O'Loghlin are two good players but unless they move a lot more, they will not win ball for us. And it's a massive achilles heel for us. Ball out and straight back at us. We have to get on and stay on the ball a lot more because our patience in possession improved so much last year. Saturday was a reminder, hopefully, that we need to work harder with each passing game. Players need to be tuned in and workmanlike from the throw in. The line too need to be more decisive when there are obvious issues. I'm confident that Sugrue will put plans in place to right the wrongs of Saturday

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on February 06, 2019, 11:26:03 AM
Ah come on Tony. You know right well that some players get automatic places. Meaney had every right to look at the mess against Louth and ask the question.
Had he not thrown the toys before the Louth game?