The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boy Wonder

I'm not sure if "A Shared Home Place" (the story of Seamus Mallon RIP) has been mentioned earlier on this thread.
It's well worth a read given that he was a central figure in Nationalist politics for so long.

His views on a Border Poll are summarised here:
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/seamus-mallon-warns-against-premature-border-poll-1.3894881

marty34

Quote from: LeoMc on July 23, 2020, 01:54:05 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 23, 2020, 01:29:29 PM
Quote from: Taylor on July 23, 2020, 11:41:12 AM
Quote from: marty34 on July 23, 2020, 11:36:56 AM
Quote from: Taylor on July 23, 2020, 11:29:56 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 23, 2020, 11:05:39 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 23, 2020, 10:58:41 AM
They were conned.

Something that nobody seems very annoyed about, no heads rolled in the DUP, there has been no reflection on the issue at all.
Mind you, the likes of Simon Hamilton left and the DUP haven't a great profile among the younger voters.

Armaghniac - no one is annoyed yet because nothing has really changed yet.

Just wait until January when they start to see changes and more importantly less money in their pockets.

The majority of people in NI care more about putting bread on the table than a political party - if you are hit in your pocket things change very quickly

It will make no difference.

Check out the stories about the pogroms in the shipyards in the 1920's - it's all about being more british than the british.  The mentality is always no, no, no.  Will never change.

Unionists have only the DUP now.  It's back to a one party outfit for them.  The UUP have been swallowed up. 

It really is a head count now.  All boils down to the numbers game.

I take your point but back then most people only ever knew poverty and tough times.

There is a new generation of people who have had disposable income for a long time - if that starts to change expect a major shift and God forbid an independent party who is not about the green or orange...........I thought Alliance were that party but they cant keep from getting caught up in the mire of the hatred

Alliance are ok until you ask the important question: where do they stand on the union etc.?

All well being 'neutral' but no good when the elephant is in the room.  Only thing is that when their voters realise what will happen after Brexit, then they might think twice.
On a day to day basis it is not the important question. Day to day most people are more concerned about whether their bins will be lifted and roads fixed than they are about who the leisure centre or play park is named after.

Bins will be collected regardless of who is in charge - roads will be fixed etc.

As time goes on, it's about the big question.  That's clear, especially since Brexit.  All about the numbers game.

johnnycool

Quote from: five points on July 23, 2020, 09:55:10 AM
Quote from: Main Street on July 23, 2020, 09:37:01 AM
The EU stood solid in support of the GFA,  in fact George Mitchell claimed recently that there would have been no GFA but for the EU. 

Mitchell is talking through his behind sadly. The EU barely lifted a finger to assist the cause of peace and in its predecessor EC & EEC forms tolerated 20 years of the Troubles and did nothing in response.

All that EU peace fund money buys some amount of "community" workers..

The treat of that money being pulled softened to cough of a good few of them when there was a bit of agitation going on.

Sportacus

Colm is almost always angry. A wee bit of humour and charm would help him come across better.

Chief

Quote from: Sportacus on September 17, 2020, 11:17:08 PM
Colm is almost always angry. A wee bit of humour and charm would help him come across better.

I think he needs to be that way so SF can't paint him as 'soft'.

I actually think he is the most capable of all the leaders of the main parties at present.

Windmill abu

Quote from: Chief on September 17, 2020, 11:27:40 PM

I actually think he is the most capable of all the leaders of the main parties at present.

What has he done to justify your opinion that he is the most capable leader, other than to sell out the basic principles of the SDLP and form an alliance with a right wing capitalist party in the south?
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Chief

Quote from: Windmill abu on September 17, 2020, 11:37:13 PM

What has he done to justify your opinion that he is the most capable leader, other than to sell out the basic principles of the SDLP and form an alliance with a right wing capitalist party in the south?

Fianna Fáil? It's incorrect to put them as anything other than centrists - they are chameleons of the centre - they move left and right depending on what will get them elected. 

Capable - because he's stopped the rot of the electoral forces of the the SDLP when they were in danger of extinction.

Capable -  because he is much more articulate on Brexit than any other leader, but most importantly much more articulate than the leader of his main electoral rival SF.

Capable - because he can brush away his failures quite swiftly and quietly. Remember the "vote for Mike and you'll get Colum" bollocks...

Capable - because he can pivot from the above position to an alliance with a Republican Party of government in the 26 counties, whilst at the same time criticise the DUP for doing the same with the Tories.

Capable - because he is the most articulate opposition voice (amongst the main leaders) to dissident violence. He contains neither the hypocrisy of SF, or the back stiffening double speak of unionist parties.

Capable - because his opinion is the one that makes unionism most uncomfortable when he pipes up about a border poll - because he is credible and appealing to fence sitters.

Just my opinion, not gospel

Angelo

Quote from: Chief on September 17, 2020, 11:52:00 PM

Fianna Fáil? It's incorrect to put them as anything other than centrists - they are chameleons of the centre - they move left and right depending on what will get them elected. 

Capable - because he's stopped the rot of the electoral forces of the the SDLP when they were in danger of extinction.

Capable -  because he is much more articulate on Brexit than any other leader, but most importantly much more articulate than the leader of his main electoral rival SF.

Capable - because he can brush away his failures quite swiftly and quietly. Remember the "vote for Mike and you'll get Colum" bollocks...

Capable - because he can pivot from the above position to an alliance with a Republican Party of government in the 26 counties, whilst at the same time criticise the DUP for doing the same with the Tories.

Capable - because he is the most articulate opposition voice (amongst the main leaders) to dissident violence. He contains neither the hypocrisy of SF, or the back stiffening double speak of unionist parties.

Capable - because his opinion is the one that makes unionism most uncomfortable when he pipes up about a border poll - because he is credible and appealing to fence sitters.

Hold on, did you refer to FF as a republican party?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Chief

Quote from: Angelo on September 18, 2020, 08:27:50 AM
Quote from: Chief on September 17, 2020, 11:52:00 PM

Hold on, did you refer to FF as a republican party?

I guess in name if not in deed

Rossfan

Since when did FF want a Monarchy?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Angelo

Quote from: Rossfan on September 18, 2020, 09:35:01 AM

As they are a partionist party who try to undermine a United Ireland and are happy for a monarchy to rule the 6 counties.

FF are anti-republican and Michael Martin is a vile a free state establishment quisling as you could unearth.

Rossfan

Quote from: Angelo on September 18, 2020, 11:57:09 AM

partionist party
undermine a United Ireland

anti-republican vile a free state establishment quisling

That sort if sh1te will certainly undermine a UI .
Who would vote to join with mindsets like that.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

Quote from: Rossfan on September 18, 2020, 12:56:08 PM

partionist party

No what undermines a United Ireland is the likes of FF and their rotten gravy train Free State that they have whored off to billionaires for personal gain.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Rossfan on September 18, 2020, 12:56:08 PM

partionist party

It's fairly well established on this board that you have no interest in a UI anyway.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit