The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Rossfan on July 20, 2020, 11:57:14 PM
The people voted for the GFA which says that the 6 Cos remains in the "UK" unless a majority there vote differently.
The GFA was supported by Political parties who represent what % of voters?
You refer to "every Irish man and wonan" who make up 90% of the population.
Who are the 10% who arent Irish?
Wrong. The GFA was not a 'referendum' on the constitutional status of the 6 counties. I've already pointed that out to you before.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on July 21, 2020, 12:05:12 AM
The people voted for the GFA which says that the 6 Cos remains in the "UK" unless a majority there vote differently.
Wrong. The GFA was not a 'referendum' on the constitutional status of the 6 counties. I've already pointed that out to you before.
Hair splitting. The GFA was a referendum on the principle of consent, and it was adopted by voters north and south. And since Articles 2&3 were given up, the constitutional status of the north very much WAS part of what the people voted on.

sid waddell

Quote from: Gold on July 20, 2020, 11:46:47 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 20, 2020, 11:28:50 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on July 20, 2020, 09:06:30 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 20, 2020, 08:50:44 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on July 20, 2020, 08:38:32 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 20, 2020, 06:00:31 PM
Chanting "Border Poll Now" hasn't done the trick.

Tethering your dying party to a FF leader who seems not so much disinterested as downright opposed to reunification should bring instant results alright.
As opposed to Sinn Féin who will give us a UI ...
Next week?
Next month?
Next year?
Maybe ye need to chant louder :D
SF have done more than chant though. They've held countless forums on the topic. Holding such a forum is unchartered territory for the SDLP who are now tethered to the coat tails of a Taoiseach who seems bitterly opposed to the very notion of unity.
Genuine question...
Who attended the SF forums on Unity?

Do you want Unity?

Genuine question...why isnt every Irish man and woman,  north and South, disgusted that part of our Island is ruled by Britain in the 21st century?

We make up 90percent of the population of Ireland. Why do we let colonial masters set the goalposts? The "i'm all right Jack" mentally is nauseating
I used to care deeply about this, and then I woke up and saw the damage toxic nationalism, and it's rare there is any other kind, does around the world.

Territorial matters are forever destined to cause conflict for the simple reason that different people who live in the same place want that place to be governed by different people in different places.

But what really matters is whether a society is fair and just rather than the flag or anthem you live under. People are people.

The North is by no means perfect on that score but its a damn sight better than it was 30 years ago, and the people who don't want Dublin to be their capital are not going away.

So its best you learn to live with them, no matter what jurisdiction you're under.

A united Ireland will come when it's ready to come.

Evil Genius

Genuine question...why isnt every Irish man and woman,  north and South, disgusted that part of our Island is ruled by Britain in the 21st century?
This Irishman is quite happy to be part of the UK, for a whole host of reasons.

And as people regularly tell me, I'm one in a million.  ;)

We make up 90percent of the population of Ireland. Why do we let colonial masters set the goalposts? The "i'm all right Jack" mentally is nauseating
Where do you get your 90%?

There are a million avowed Unionists in NI.

And as every opinion poll demonstrates, of the other one million people in NI, whilst "Nationalist" in outlook, a significant proportion would either not vote in a UI referendum, or even vote to stay in  the UK.

Meanwhile, a very large proportion of the population of the Irish Republic either respect the principle enshrined in the GFA that NI will not leave the UK until/unless a majority in NI votes for it, and/or don't actually care much about unification either way.

So instead of expressing "disgust" at my/our/their preference, why don't you make an effort to understand us?

After all, this must surely be the first step towards persuading us to become disgusted at ourselves er, see things your way.

Which itself must be the second step towards your winning a referendum.

I mean, after 99 years of failing to murder/intimidate/browbeat/insult us into seeing things your way, why not try a different tack?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

marty34

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 20, 2020, 10:14:00 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 10, 2020, 12:01:13 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 10, 2020, 10:30:47 AM
Someone asked for my opinion on the FST motion. It was wrong and the SDLP councillors shouldn't have supported it. Colum Eastwood intervened and told them to reverse their position which last I checked I understand they have. Sometimes holding your hands up and admitting you got it wrong is the right thing to do. I think people will respect them for doing that.

Has he stopped Brexit yet? (sorry I had to get it in before someone else)

Moaning Mary certainly didn't stop it.

Eastwood said, if election, he'd stop Brexit.  That's the point.  Nothing to do with MLMD.

It was his kind of 'election pledge'.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 21, 2020, 12:14:01 AM
Hair splitting. The GFA was a referendum on the principle of consent, and it was adopted by voters north and south. And since Articles 2&3 were given up, the constitutional status of the north very much WAS part of what the people voted on.
No it WASN'T. Even if the GFA was voted against, the 6 counties would still have been under british rule, even more so.
Therefore it wasn't a one-off vote on the constitutional status of the 6 counties.

marty34

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 21, 2020, 12:22:37 AM

And as every opinion poll demonstrates, of the other one million people in NI, whilst "Nationalist" in outlook, a significant proportion would either not vote in a UI referendum, or even vote to stay in  the UK.

Meanwhile, a very large proportion of the population of the Irish Republic either respect the principle enshrined in the GFA that NI will not leave the UK until/unless a majority in NI votes for it, and/or don't actually care much about unification either way.

So instead of expressing "disgust" at my/our/their preference, why don't you make an effort to understand us?

After all, this must surely be the first step towards persuading us to become disgusted at ourselves er, see things your way.

I mean, after 99 years of failing to murder/intimidate/browbeat/insult us into seeing things your way, why not try a different tack?

Why are you talking about the artificial created statelet, one party rule, discrimination, inequality, sectarian deaths squads in collusion with the RUC and various state agencies?

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: marty34 on July 21, 2020, 12:32:12 AM

Why are you talking about the artificial created statelet, one party rule, discrimination, inequality, sectarian deaths squads in collusion with the RUC and various state agencies?
+1 he has a quare neck on him  ;D

Evil Genius

Amd the 2020 "Prize For Spectacularly Missing The Point" goes to... ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

sid waddell

All territorial entities are artificial.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on July 21, 2020, 12:23:36 AM
No it WASN'T. Even if the GFA was voted against, the 6 counties would still have been under british rule, even more so.
Therefore it wasn't a one-off vote on the constitutional status of the 6 counties.

Wasn't what? Wasn't a referendum on the principle of consent? Wasn't a referendum on Articles 2 & 3?

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 21, 2020, 12:55:09 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on July 21, 2020, 12:23:36 AM

Wasn't what? Wasn't a referendum on the principle of consent? Wasn't a referendum on Articles 2 & 3?
Wasn't a referendum on the constitutional status of the 6 counties.

Eamonnca1

armaghniac

Quote from: marty34 on July 21, 2020, 12:23:23 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 20, 2020, 10:14:00 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 10, 2020, 12:01:13 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 10, 2020, 10:30:47 AM
Someone asked for my opinion on the FST motion. It was wrong and the SDLP councillors shouldn't have supported it. Colum Eastwood intervened and told them to reverse their position which last I checked I understand they have. Sometimes holding your hands up and admitting you got it wrong is the right thing to do. I think people will respect them for doing that.

Has he stopped Brexit yet? (sorry I had to get it in before someone else)

Moaning Mary certainly didn't stop it.

Eastwood said, if election, he'd stop Brexit.  That's the point.  Nothing to do with MLMD.

It was his kind of 'election pledge'.

And likely he would have stopped it, if he has a majority.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on July 20, 2020, 11:28:50 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on July 20, 2020, 09:06:30 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 20, 2020, 08:50:44 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on July 20, 2020, 08:38:32 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 20, 2020, 06:00:31 PM
Chanting "Border Poll Now" hasn't done the trick.

Tethering your dying party to a FF leader who seems not so much disinterested as downright opposed to reunification should bring instant results alright.
As opposed to Sinn Féin who will give us a UI ...
Next week?
Next month?
Next year?
Maybe ye need to chant louder :D
SF have done more than chant though. They've held countless forums on the topic. Holding such a forum is unchartered territory for the SDLP who are now tethered to the coat tails of a Taoiseach who seems bitterly opposed to the very notion of unity.
Genuine question...
Who attended the SF forums on Unity?
Representatives from juat about every major political party in Ireland at various points. Cross commmunity academics/political commentators/civic leaders. British government figures.

They have been proactive more so than any party.

Good to see the SDLP finally taking an interest and all, but it's hard not to believe its just a smokescreen to reclaim lost ground among nationalists in the north. Hence why Colum Eastwood's pitch about his new "all inclusive" forum included some of his usual nasty SF bashing rhetoric. In reality, if they were remotely serious about reunification, they wouldn't have gone into a political partnership with Micheal Martin.