Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Only you would think that
Careful now

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on December 22, 2019, 03:34:52 PM

You much prefer one way traffic? I don't agree with some of his views but hes put plenty back in their box
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 22, 2019, 03:02:25 AM
Quote from: seafoid on December 21, 2019, 09:05:42 PM
Bourdieu defined doxa as a realm of unquestioned orthodoxy in which things cannot be thought or said.
In the DUP the doxa is that NI is British and that anything Irish is the enemy.
Once more, just because the DUP may gain the most votes of any party from those Unionists who bother to vote at all, does not mean they speak for every Unionist on this topic any more than they do eg on gay rights or Brexit.

Ditto SF on the Nationalist side.
Unionism's identity is more fragile because the power it is based on is changing. It's really weird driving through Loyalist areas in NI because identity is so in your face. What if the Queen doesn't care?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

playwiththewind1st

She has more important things to think of. Prince Of Greece is in hospital & she needs to find young filly for Andrew, before Wednesday.

Rossfan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 22, 2019, 02:31:36 PM
On another note good to see EG back!
You'd miss th'oul hoor right enough. ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on December 22, 2019, 04:48:38 PM
She has more important things to think of. Prince Of Greece is in hospital & she needs to find young filly for Andrew, before Wednesday.
She will sign off Brexit

The UK Constitution is broken

God Save the Queen second verse

« 2. O Lord our God arise,

Scatter her enemies

And make them fall;

Confound their politics,

Frustrate their knavish tricks,

On Thee our hopes we fix,

God save us all! . »

God doesn't seem interested
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Denn Forever

It's only Banter....
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 22, 2019, 12:49:43 PM
It was the brits that tried to ban it back in the 1300's first, before we had unionists, it died after the famine and was only used in poor rural areas in the west of Ireland.

Since partition the unionist have tried their best to eradicate Irish culture in the north but it's not going away, and it's in a far better place than before, so continuing as it is, surely it will grow organically and develop?

When was this famine that you speak off?

marty34

Anyone who is against an ILa (standalone) at this time is a bigot in my opinion. 

People are pushing it as an ILA or health, or an ILA or education etc.  It can be and should be the two together etc. instead of one over the other. 

I read someone on here saying we'll sort health first, then down the line we'll sort the ILA. Fantasy stuff - health will never be sorted properly!! Wait to the yanks in comes and we'll see what happens.

Others say it's an hobby...a f##king hobby!!!

Applesisapples

Speaking Irish or not does not define your Irishness. SF like the GAA and many other organisations that are culturally Irish encourage the use of Irish in everyday situations and to me that is to be lauded. Languages die with out use. Even a few words spoken in Irish helps the growth in the language what is so wrong with that. An ILA is a separate proposition which in my view needs careful thought. It should be their to facilitate and promote the language but should not bestow on Irish speakers any advantage over the general population, ie no quota for jobs etc... I have stated it many times on this board and it remains true that Irish is opposed by hard core Unionism in much the same way as the GAA or any semblance of Irish culture purely on the basis that it dilutes their Union and by extension their Britishness and is a sure path to a UI. I would actually contend the opposite. Had they embraced equality and made the NI state more reflective of both nationalities the Union would not be in question. But the old Boer mentality and fear of the natives still fuels everything they do.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 22, 2019, 03:44:13 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on December 22, 2019, 03:34:52 PM

You much prefer one way traffic? I don't agree with some of his views but hes put plenty back in their box
+1 ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

screenexile

Quote from: marty34 on December 23, 2019, 01:53:14 PM
Anyone who is against an ILa (standalone) at this time is a bigot in my opinion. 

People are pushing it as an ILA or health, or an ILA or education etc.  It can be and should be the two together etc. instead of one over the other. 

I read someone on here saying we'll sort health first, then down the line we'll sort the ILA. Fantasy stuff - health will never be sorted properly!! Wait to the yanks in comes and we'll see what happens.

Absolute Drivel!!

Anyone against an Irish Language Act is a bigot. . . I think you need to check the definition of what a bigot is.

Take a poll of everyone in the North and see how many want a standalone Irish Language Act yet you want to do it in tandem with fixing the Health Service??

Like many in the Irish language lobby... fanatics!!

People are free to speak Irish if they want and councils that have Nationalist majorities are free to have bilingual signs. There is absolutely ZERO need for it to be legislated for as a standalone act!

armaghniac

Quote from: screenexile on December 23, 2019, 04:08:05 PM

People are free to speak Irish if they want and councils that have Nationalist majorities are free to have bilingual signs. There is absolutely ZERO need for it to be legislated for as a standalone act!

Yes there is, not everyone lives in an area with a nationalist majority. Irish people should be able to use Irish in all parts of their own country.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

smelmoth

An exhibition of weapons grade stupidity at work there.

Probably the stupidest thing ever posted on this site

marty34

Quote from: screenexile on December 23, 2019, 04:08:05 PM

Absolute Drivel!!

Anyone against an Irish Language Act is a bigot. . . I think you need to check the definition of what a bigot is.

Take a poll of everyone in the North and see how many want a standalone Irish Language Act yet you want to do it in tandem with fixing the Health Service??

Like many in the Irish language lobby... fanatics!!

The latest statement from the TUV in regatds to the Irish language.

Chsnge your name to Draperstown Exile.....