Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caesar

McKenna cup is about trying out new players which was reflected in the experimental teams. Wouldn't be too worried about the result.

How did some of the new faces do? Saw on the Saffron Gael that Niall Delargy lined out at midfield?

Sportacus

Big issue with fitness levels it seemed to me.  Down just changed gear when they needed to, especially up front.  Our defenders and midfielders struggled badly against their movement and speed when they stepped it up.
On a positive note if we keep working with the forwards they'll score plenty against a lot of teams, but I'd love to see the defenders being sharper and more aggressive, and coming out with the ball driving at the opposition, not just stopping on the half way line and passing it sideways.

JimStynes

Hard to judge anything in January but that was a very poor down team and beat Antrim quite easily. Antrim seemed physically smaller than down and the defence was very loose with their marking. Couple of positives with Ruairi McCann having a good game in full forward and gave Kevin McKernan a tough time.

bannside

Yea a couple of good games in a row from Ruairi. Maybe this is the year he steps up. Adam Loughran looked particularly sharp in the last quarter albeit the game may have fizzled out a bit af that stage. High hope's for this lad!

Both corner backs were debutants too and their men 13 and 15 didnt score at all despite the scoreline....that's another (small) plus too. Wouldnt panic, we should have a stronger and more settled look come 26th.

JimStynes

Adam is a class act and has it all but still very young. Hope there isn't too much expected of him at this stage.

bannside

All in its own time JS. But the material looks good!

Sportacus

His biggest asset is his attitude.  He'll not be there just for the craic, he'll be there to win things. 

Belfast GAA man

Can't quite make iT out on Twitter but is that a Gaelfast plan unveiled at Croke today ?

imtommygunn

Good to see a number of Antrim players playing Sigerson. Fyfe and Eastwood, at least, yesterday, and mcenhill and Quinn today. (Possibly McCabe LD too?).

Hopefully it will be good for the development.

Rodger Mona

Could anyone on here confirm if the Winter league is still a competition throughout ulster? If so is there any of our club teams involved? Couldnt find it anywhere on the web

imtommygunn

https://ulster.gaa.ie/2019/12/ulster-club-football-league-2020-applications-now-open/

Do you mean this? That is about all I could see and don't know any more myself. I know some south west teams have been in it in the past but can't recall seeing any belfast teams in it.

bannside

Portglenone entered. Starts Sunday 26th. Not sure of the draw yet though.

The Gs Man

Keep 'er lit

Caesar

The Antrim teams in the winter league this year are: Aghagallon, Portglenone, St Brigids & Cargin.

From Derry: Ballinascreen, Claudy, Ballinderry, Coleraine & Lavey.

From Tyrone: Killyclogher, Ardboe & Dungannon.

From Donegal: Kilcar.

From Down: Bryansford.

Not sure if the fixtures have been announced yet.

Rodger Mona

Yeah thats the competition. I remember seeing teams playing in it years ago and remember going and watching Portglenone playing a year they got to the final of it but that was going back a few years. Maybe BS can recall that time. Good to see it still going but it doesnt seem to get alot of interest. Serious bit of travelling for glorified friendlies though some clubs may find it useful