Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rodger Mona on January 06, 2020, 09:57:00 AM
Great win for Saffs yesterday. We would of taken a draw after watching that 1st half. Points on the board though i think that league has alot of twists and turns to go yet.

Analysing that game, we played 2nd fiddle for long periods. Fermanagh were alot sharper, moved the ball quicker and were more physical. Thought they were getting caught up trying to be the type of players their manager once was, with all the off the ball antics instead of  concentrating on the scoreboard and i was glad they got their medicine at the end

Still think we need to strengthen in some areas. Thought GK was ropey enough with kickouts, think we have found out Rice isnt a Corner Back and is better out the pitch, still think we could do with a bit of presence in and around the middle. Inside forward line could do with a ball winner to allow us to be a bit more expansive when running the ball isnt on. Saying all that, a positive which was the grit to stay within touching distance and give ourselves a chance which we took is a trait i hope we can keep in each game, even if the quality isnt always there that mentality is a key asset.

Delargy and Ricky definately gave us a better platform though i thought Scott was very wasteful when he came on, giving the ball away on several occasions. Though we cant fault the lads effort.

MR2 looking at some of your most recent comments and especially the ones directed to myself and others who have had a different perspective to your own, i have picked up you come out with some rash comments to try and have the upper hand in your arguments. What is wrong with your man asking questions of Donnelly, or letting people scrutinise referees, or having an opinion on the current antrim team/ management? They should be able to do so on this forum without being called names or patronised when you come out with nonsense statements like "most volunteers do 20 hours a week"!

Most club volunteers do not do 20 hours or near it, you are talking on average 9/10. The fact you were factoring in pints as volunteering was hilarious reading... so how about in 2020 we let people have their say, challenge them and lets keep the childish/ farcical comments to a minimum.

Most clubmen/women like committee members put in a awful lot of work that you or others may not see but take it for granted, some may put in more than 20 like the poster on here who is concerned about the Gaelfast plan, as for the pints I was taking the piss, I doubt very much anyone would have taken that one seriously.

As for your scrutinising referees/management/players that's fine knock yourself out, like you I'll have an opinion and if I disagree with yours or others I'll post it. You've posted plenty of rash comments also
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NatSoSaff

We had some good spells of play yesterday. Nice to see us break out of the ultra defensive mould that has been so tough to stomach in recent years. That being said, I'd be worried that we were very fortunate to beat a young fermanagh side that were extremely experimental, with up to 12 usual starters missing - if the fermanagh gentleman beside me was to be believed. We also were so untidy with our passing & finishing yesterday. The main positives were I thought Lynch and Healy were excellent at wing back, duffin and jordan done well against a physical midfield. Big mCcann showed well in full forward and mcBride was very sharp. Surely this team is capable of winning division 4. It was great to see T mcann, murray, cunningham all on the line watching on, exciting to see those guys back but we need them on the pitch as soon as can be.

bannside

It's all about Wexford on 26th in Glenavy, that's the only show in town really and then a trip to Sligo the week after. If we can get points from those games we have a great chance of going up. Thats what this year is 99% about. Anything after that a bonus. Tomas will still be out and now Paddy C too who picked up a knock last week so it's up to other forwards in particular to step up to the plate. Conor Murrays return a massive boost.

Rodger Mona

Your right there BS. Two crucial games. Though surely with a performanceon wednesday we could go in to the first game of the league with huge confidence. Hopefully lenny can give a few men game time that may have not featured last game. Id like to see Kerr give a chance to see what he is like as i dont think wev had anyone thats filled kerrs boots since he has gone. Also would like that FB line to get strengthened though without weakening our half back line. Wouldnt go with the lad mcauley at CHB either, need a bit more prsence in there if we have it. Perhaps Dermot McAleese or Niall Delargy both good on the ball and very effective with breaks.

bannside

So far things seem to be going well and the mood in the camp is good. The Mc Kenna Cup is really for trying things out, as much as Ulster Council will protest because it brings them in a few quid, really these matches are just glorified friendlies before the NFL starts. Lenny has gone with a much larger squad this year which no doubt will trim itself down in due course, but he can't be accused of not throwing the net out a good bit wider this year. You mention Dermot Mc Aleese and Niall Delargy....theyve both been out for a spell, Dermot with knee injury that required surgery and Niall took a few months out to sort out a recurring tendonitis problem, but they're both back up and at it now although Dermot is still a week or two behind. Lenny has proper options this year but probably his biggest challenge is to replace Paddy Mc Cormack who is on a years work placement. Really good corner backs arnt easy to find and often putting a half back in there dosent work, but all in all the panel is shaping up well. A fit Tomas, Paddy C and Conor Murray will give Lenny plenty of selection problems of the right kind!

Belfast GAA man

Goalkeeper does seem to a problem though I don't know if Kerr is the answer. LD, PG1 and Cargin didn't have great keeperS IMO in the latter stages of the championship. Maybe the options are in Div 2/3 teamS....

Rodger Mona

Where is  your lad from last year Nugent? If there are better keepers elsewhere then why not. Its a pity Flood, Kerr and  O'Neill were all in around the same age. 3 good keepers IMO. Would easily make this current antrim team.

Few rumours circulating that Brendan Herron is back playing with Lamh Dearg after a recent spell in Derry with Baile Na Screen. Also can anyone on here that can confirm the following have retired....

-M.Dougan
-M.Magill
-K.Close
-Aidso
-Healy
-Kelly
-K.McGourty
-S.McVeigh

if so they would be huge losses to the club scene in antrim as they have been great servants to their clubs. Though iv heard they have all called it a day as work, families, injuries all being factors

imtommygunn

Are you sure that is the same Brendan Herron?

Nugent is St. John's.

Can't answer whether those guys have retired. Would be a pity though. Close definitely had a big influence on county final this year but he has always been cursed by injury. A few of them would still have a bit left in the tank. McGourty must be the oldest there -39 /40 I think.

Rodger Mona

Yes same Brendan Herron. Brother of Micko. He definitely has left Baile Na Screen so id be interested to hear if he will give LD another year. That man deserved a cship medal.

Unless someone can enlighten us we will have to wait and see, though i agree. few of them regardless of age have still plenty to offer.

imtommygunn

Ah I know Ballinascreen have a Benny Herron who's a completely different one which was why I asked. He played for Derry for a good few years. Didn't realise they had two.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rodger Mona on January 08, 2020, 08:45:24 AM
Yes same Brendan Herron. Brother of Micko. He definitely has left Baile Na Screen so id be interested to hear if he will give LD another year. That man deserved a cship medal.

Unless someone can enlighten us we will have to wait and see, though i agree. few of them regardless of age have still plenty to offer.

Brendan would be older than Micko,
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rodger Mona

Milltown what about that Galls contingency? Is that a load of gossip or any element of truth in it?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rodger Mona on January 08, 2020, 10:08:13 AM
Milltown what about that Galls contingency? Is that a load of gossip or any element of truth in it?

Not sure, new management in place now former player looking after us in Paddy Murray, he knows the players well so I'd say we'll know on the first session who's making themselves available. We'd be hampered for sure losing so many experienced heads, but they owe the club nothing, they have, on both fronts, knocked their pan in for the club, and if they retire they'll be on the training ground with our kids

belfastsaff

any one at the game last night to give a review ?

Rodger Mona

Not much to say on the game last night. Down were just the superior team from the get go. Our lads just may put that game down as a learning curve. 7 points down at half time the game was over, only lost the 2nd half by a point which was a bit of improvement but overall were never really in it