Started by Rossfan, December 16, 2018, 05:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: seafoid on December 17, 2018, 08:39:47 AM
Quote from: Orchard park on December 16, 2018, 07:20:43 PM
Fair dues to those involved. Whilst not condoning violence this should heighten the awareness of the scumbags hired by KBC to evict irish citizens...and of the complicit support of the state in facilitating the closure of public roads last Tuesday to evict decent  county families....

Shame on the senior Garda  who agreed to it.

And back to ballymoney to those enforcer thugs
The problem is the economic system is like the landlord system. Asset bubbles blow up
prices and when they collapse debt wants its money back. Politically this doesn't really work given economic history
Neoliberalism does not work in Strokestown or anywhere else
In America and most other neo-liberal countries, you'd be booted out of your house within months of going into arrears.
In Ireland people can stay in a property several years in a property without making repayments and the cost is absorbed by those making repayments.
A possible unexpected consequence of Fianna Fail demanding that banks reduce variable interest rates to be in line with European averages would be the speeding up of repossessions.

seafoid

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on December 17, 2018, 11:38:56 AM
Quote from: seafoid on December 17, 2018, 08:39:47 AM
Quote from: Orchard park on December 16, 2018, 07:20:43 PM
Fair dues to those involved. Whilst not condoning violence this should heighten the awareness of the scumbags hired by KBC to evict irish citizens...and of the complicit support of the state in facilitating the closure of public roads last Tuesday to evict decent  county families....

Shame on the senior Garda  who agreed to it.

And back to ballymoney to those enforcer thugs
The problem is the economic system is like the landlord system. Asset bubbles blow up
prices and when they collapse debt wants its money back. Politically this doesn't really work given economic history
Neoliberalism does not work in Strokestown or anywhere else
In America and most other neo-liberal countries, you'd be booted out of your house within months of going into arrears.
In Ireland people can stay in a property several years in a property without making repayments and the cost is absorbed by those making repayments.
A possible unexpected consequence of Fianna Fail demanding that banks reduce variable interest rates to be in line with European averages would be the speeding up of repossessions.
Yank mortgages are often recourse.
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/08/nonrecourse-loan-vs-recourse-loan.asp

Irish mortgages are not because of history
Asset bubbles always crash so in Ireland this sort of intractable shite is guaranteed.
Irish culture is not designed for the fallout from property bubbles.

The truth about the "bailouts" is that the true cost of bank losses was higher than what the sovereign paid. Next time will be even worse.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mayo4Sam

These being loyalist security men has really muddied the waters here.

It's being played out as three elderly people being evicted from their family home, they owed €400k to revenue from a settlement in 2009 for under paying VAT, that's 10 years ago. It's virtually impossible to evict someone in Ireland, these people have just ignored their responsibilities. It's ordinary tax payers who end up footing bills like this! The bank had a court order for the repossession, the tenants were aware of this. You owe money, you pay it back or you lose the asset that's security.

A massive faux pais by KBC though with their choice of security company, although it's probably hard to get people to do this kinda work.
The people who came and did this have achieved nothing, the house remains repossessed and they are wanted for assault etc.
It stinks of SF/IRA scumbags
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

TyroneOnlooker

I'd somewhat agree with the post above. In north and south it takes years, literally years to repossess a property like this. The owners would have been given every opportunity to repay before this happened.

You borrow money and don't pay it back then what do they expect.

Only criticism would be in the way the repossession was handled by the northern security firm. It's obvious difficult to get people to do this kind of work, certainly not locals and so it inevitably falls to 'outsiders' to do the dirty work. If anyone knows anything about these types of firms in the north then you wouldn't be too surprised that may have some ex-paramilitary or police/army on their books, depending on which side of the fence they come from.

Don't see why so many are so quick to laud a lawless vigilante group and condone their actions which have no place in any society.

general_lee

And I bet those guards that sat and watched civilians getting battered were fellow blue shirt voting west Brits from mayo...

sid waddell

What's the difference between these people in Roscommon and the O'Donnells of Vico Road?

Orchard park

Revenue has nothing to do with this. A muddying of ythe waters by you. 2 of the evicted neither own  nor owe anything and were thrown  out of the only home they know in their 60s by hired criminals whose eligibility to work as security in  thus state is at best questionable...

This was Cabot as I understand it who bought the debt from BBC and refused to negotiate since they secured their court order....

Meanwhile Garda closed local roads to facilitate the eviction and observed s retired colleague getting hammered

No noticeverrved on of by Ros co co 're those closure of those roads

Orchard park

Quote from: sid waddell on December 17, 2018, 01:56:20 PM
What's the difference between these people in Roscommon and the O'Donnells of Vico Road?

About s billion euro

sid waddell

Quote from: Orchard park on December 17, 2018, 01:57:48 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 17, 2018, 01:56:20 PM

About s billion euro
Really?

Haven't the Roscommon crowd just done exactly the same thing as the O'Donnells?

You hear such bullshit over the issue of "evictions" in Ireland.

Eejits invoking comparisons to what happened in the 1880s when there is no comparison whatsoever in terms of circumstances.

These people are actually playing the system. They literally expect to pay nothing.

Yet you can bet your bottom dollar that many of the same gobshites who vilify genuinely homeless people support people like these and the O'Donnells who actually give a two fingers to the system, and give a two fingers to everybody else.

Actual freeloaders.

f**k them.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Orchard park on December 17, 2018, 01:56:25 PM
Revenue has nothing to do with this. A muddying of ythe waters by you. 2 of the evicted neither own  nor owe anything and were thrown  out of the only home they know in their 60s by hired criminals whose eligibility to work as security in  thus state is at best questionable...

This was Cabot as I understand it who bought the debt from BBC and refused to negotiate since they secured their court order....

Meanwhile Garda closed local roads to facilitate the eviction and observed s retired colleague getting hammered

Gardai closed local roads to see the law of the land being enforced, there was a court order and this was it being carried out. From the videos it looked very heavy handed, that's a separate matter.

Your point about the two tenants who didn't own the house is nonsense. The man who owned the house had it repossessed. By your logic I can borrow/owe whatever I like, not repay it and just because my wife and kids live there it can't be repossessed? Or just move in any random person and tell the courts it can't be repossessed because someone is living there?
You owe money, you can repay it or not but there's consequences. This money is owed for
10 years, they'll have had the chance to repay it
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

TabClear

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 17, 2018, 02:30:09 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on December 17, 2018, 01:56:25 PM

Gardai closed local roads to see the law of the land being enforced, there was a court order and this was it being carried out. From the videos it looked very heavy handed, that's a separate matter.

Your point about the two tenants who didn't own the house is nonsense. The man who owned the house had it repossessed. By your logic I can borrow/owe whatever I like, not repay it and just because my wife and kids live there it can't be repossessed? Or just move in any random person and tell the courts it can't be repossessed because someone is living there?
You owe money, you can repay it or not but there's consequences. This money is owed for
10 years, they'll have had the chance to repay it

Agree with this. I do not know the ins and outs of this specific case in terms of the money owed but if you borrow money and cant make the repayments then any security you put up is liable to be called in. Nobody forces people to sign these agreements, bottom line is if you meet your end of the contract (i.e. make payments when you said you will) there is nothing the banks can do. Obviously people's circumstances can change through no fault of their own but why should the party that kept their end of the bargain be the one to suffer loss?

That being said, the nature of the way the "security" company  enforced the security in this case seems way over the top (and borderline criminal) so in general I have no issue with thugs like that getting a taste of their own medicine. But this is separate from whether the repossession should have taken place at all.

GJL

Are there any videos of the 'security personnel' getting a good f**king kicking?   Asking for a friend.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/roscommon-eviction-varadkar-concerned-at-violent-vigilante-attack-1.3733986

Roscommon eviction: Varadkar concerned at 'violent vigilante attack'

Three men working for private security firm hospitalised after melee at repossessed house

Dozens of masked men confronted security guards occupying a repossessed home outside Strokestown, Co Roscommon early on Sunday.

During the incident three security guards were seriously injured, four vehicles were set alight and a dog was subsequently put down when masked raiders targeted them at the house on Sunday morning.

Mr Varadkar said the "use of violence" should be condemned "unreservedly".m
"I don't think anybody likes to see somebody being evicted or losing their property, especially in the run up to Christmas.
"But if it was done on the basis of a court order I can only assume the judge heard all sides of the story and made the decision that he did," Mr Varadkar said.

"Leaving aside the reasons for the eviction I think all of us have to condemn unreservedly the use of violence. In this instance, individuals being injured, an animal was killed, property destroyed. It would seem that it was very highly organised, highly violent vigilante attack. Gardaí will interview the eight security guards at the centre of the incident on Monday.
Gardaí have closed the area around the house and are now treating it as a crime scene. Photograph: Brian Farrell. Gardaí have closed the area around the house and are now treating it as a crime scene. Photograph: Brian Farrell.   
Cordoned off

The area around the house has been cordoned off by gardaí and is being as a crime scene. No arrests have been made.
Related TD calls for calm after eight security guards injured in eviction house attack 
Fitzmaurice says he did not incite Roscommon violence 

Online footage of the eviction of two brothers and a sister from their home near Strokestown last Tuesday showed security men dressed in black, forcibly removing the family from the house. Those evicted are aged in their 50s and 60s.

The eviction has sparked an angry response with many people objecting to the involvement of a private security firm, apparently from Northern Ireland.

One of  the security staff who is told on the video that he should be ashamed as an Irish man can be heard replying that he is British. The private firm had been occupying the house since the eviction.

In the early hours of Sunday morning, dozens of men arrived at the farmhouse and in the ensuing melee the security men were injured, and vehicles set alight.
Three of the security staff were hospitalised. A vet was later called to the scene to put down an injured dog.

Gardaí said they were investigating criminal damage and assault.
Minister for Justice Charlie Flanagan said on Monday the rules governing private security firms that enforce evictions will be examined after eight security staff occupying a repossessed house in Co Roscommon were injured during an attack by dozens of men.

Mr Flanagan also condemned the violence in Co Roscommon and said property disputes and evictions should be resolved according to the law.
He said there was a legal anomaly whereby private security firms involved in evictions are not regulated by the Private Security Authority (PSA) so the obligation to display identification does not arise.

The Minister said his officials had been examining regulations in the area and an interdepartmental group had been convened and was due to report to him in January.
Fianna Fáil's justice spokesperson Jim O'Callaghan he was concerned at the level of violence during the incident and said the lender involved had not handled the situation well, describing the eviction as "a heavy handed".

Roscommon Independent TD Michael Fitzmaurice said people had been infuriated at the sight of the family "being thrown out of the house where they have lived all their lives".
Mr Fitzmaurice said the Government needed to ensure there was mediation for people who found themselves in such situations.
"Nobody wants to see violence and I have always been a believer in peaceful protests," he added.

Fianna Fáil TD Eugene Murphy, who knows the family at the centre of the eviction row, appealed for calm.
The deputy who is based in Strokestown said he planned to contact the bank involved in the case to see if anything could be done to ease tensions.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 17, 2018, 01:46:22 PM
These being loyalist security men has really muddied the waters here.

It's being played out as three elderly people being evicted from their family home, they owed €400k to revenue from a settlement in 2009 for under paying VAT, that's 10 years ago. It's virtually impossible to evict someone in Ireland, these people have just ignored their responsibilities. It's ordinary tax payers who end up footing bills like this! The bank had a court order for the repossession, the tenants were aware of this. You owe money, you pay it back or you lose the asset that's security.

A massive faux pais by KBC though with their choice of security company, although it's probably hard to get people to do this kinda work.
The people who came and did this have achieved nothing, the house remains repossessed and they are wanted for assault etc.
It stinks of SF/IRA scumbags

FG voters done it I was told.