John Heslin 2-16

Started by Dinny Breen, September 29, 2013, 05:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Yeah he was with Richmond. For about 8/9 months in total. Cited homesickness. I don't think he has the mobility for top level midfield. He is so hard marked at the edge of the square though. And his free taking is sublime.

rodney trotter

Plays midfield with UCD as well. It was just as well he came back from the AFL last year or Westmeath wouldn't be playing Div 1 next year.

nrico2006

2-16 appears brilliant but only 2-2 was from play.  You would have to question the sense of the defenders who kept giving away so many scoreable frees.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Croí na hÉireann

I doubt they were all "scorable" nrico, as shark said "crazy positions", Heslin has a savage range and would be very accurate outside the scoring zone.

I would agree he doesn't have the mobility or work rate for midfield. Would love to see what he could do at centre forward.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

nrico2006

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 01, 2013, 09:41:43 AM
I doubt they were all "scorable" nrico, as shark said "crazy positions", Heslin has a savage range and would be very accurate outside the scoring zone.

I would agree he doesn't have the mobility or work rate for midfield. Would love to see what he could do at centre forward.

Would the fact that he scored them not make them scoreable?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Zulu

For him yes, but not perhaps for the majority of free takers. You can question defenders for giving away frees in front of the posts but if a man is kicking frees from all angles and distances (as has been suggested) then there is less blame. I'd be more concerned that they conceded 5 goals and only got 3 points from other players.

Jinxy

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 01, 2013, 08:33:04 AM
2-16 appears brilliant but only 2-2 was from play.  You would have to question the sense of the defenders who kept giving away so many scoreable frees.

Here come the nordie 'Defence Nazis.'
If you were any use you'd be playing.

whiskeysteve

F me nrico, you couldn't have been impressed with maurice fitz' sidelines etc by that logic.

2-16 is a brilliant haul for a 1-point tight SFC semi v Garrycastle
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Wildweasel74

he has the making of a special midfielder, along with Bredan murphy of Carlow, what way would these lads be talked about if they were midfield for Kerry or Dublin. Will probably slog on with their respect counites not getting the recognition for their ability that they would if on bigger teams, just like Seamus O`Hanlon (Louth), Seamie O`Neill (Roscommon) etc, John Galvin only came to light has he overshadowed Darragh O`Se in 2 munster finals even though Limerick were beat, now with the seeded draw he wouldn't even have been hear off.

Croí na hÉireann

Pic from Sun, class sign.

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Wildweasel74

that sign will be doing the rounds at westmeath nfl games next year lol