Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Yeah seen that although sligo have nothing to play for other than championship places

bannside

Limerick are away from home, after losing two on the trot. A fifty fifty game which could go either way. Yesterday was a disaster from an Antrim point of view, but whilst all is still mathematically possible we should get behind the management and players. Not sure what the reason was for such a flat display, but if Sligo can do us a big favour we can still have a smile on our face this time next week. Plenty of time for post mortems....this week is about getting things mentally back on track.

Milltown Row2

Just watching the Kildare team v Cavan....

The stand out thing is physically they are a massive unit..

Height strength and power, I've ref'd a right few games over the years so have seen our lot, we don't have that many big players, why is that?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BrendanAntrim

A draw between Wexford and Wicklow and a win for us leaves us all on 9. Then it comes down to score difference which is where yesterday's mailing really screw us. Need Limerick to lose to Sligo. Who knows? But it shouldn't have come to this.

bannside

As long as Sligo beat Limerick and we beat Waterford Brendan it dosent matter who wins between Wicklow and Wexford....as long as its not a draw! Admittedly, thats a lot of ifs.

I understand why people want to let off steam against the management, but Lenny/Brendan/Fintan werent playing and neither was Roy Mc Larnon. The players need to take a lot of responsibility for a performance like that. That isn't acceptable in a Saffron jersey, and only they can respond in a manner that takes responsibility for it.

If we had lost by two or three I'd be searching for the analysis why we lost. But when its a margin of this size, its the players who have to put their hands up highest. Jesus man - there was hardly a proper tackle put in all day. Boys carrying balls into tackles and getting dispossessed. Players taking three or four hand to toes and bounces before moving the ball. Juvenile stuff. Now thats something the management can change.

ciaran1988

Hearing that good few players only left for Wicklow at 5am on day of the game. Surely if true this wouldn't have helped their performance. Still have a chance next week so need to row in behind them, won't help next weeks cause everyone getting on their backs. Surely we see a big reaction next week and hopefully Sligo can do us a favour

Calm Down

After a few days and reading a lot of the posts on here I have reflected and I think for me the problem is that too many of our players were still playing 'club' football i.e. seeking too much time on the ball, running into tackles whilst in possession, giving the opposition attack too much space etc etc.

Whilst the Antrim Championship is competitive and great entertainment I think using the lack of progress in Ulster of any Antrim Champions in the last 7-10 years as a yard stick I think we can all agree that Antrim football is in a developmental period, we are a Div 4 team at present for a reason i.e. we deserve to be there, why did so many think that we had a divine right to stroll down on Saturday and collect the points? Is this a mentality which has crept into the players minds? Has the chat made them believe that the job was done before boarding the coach? Some of the chat here about Wicklow has been at best disrespectful, maybe this is the wake up call fans and players a like needed.

Our Hurlers have been plodding away all year without the Superstar status and look what they have achieved, I think it is time for our footballers to have a good, long hard look at them selves and assess their own mentality. As for those calling for the management to go, as MR2 said there were so many on heralding their work earlier in the year and saying how we should have the more experienced players back for the last push over the line.................stop making fools out of yourselves lads by now spouting other nonsense.

Hopefully Saturday was the wake up call and the players get back to base camp ready to knuckle down and with a bit of luck we can be looking forward to Div 3 football next year

On a good news point I see two of our younger referees are making the step up referee in the Ulster Minor Championship this weekend, good luck Conall Roberts and Cathel McDermott

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Calm Down on October 19, 2020, 11:10:16 AM
After a few days and reading a lot of the posts on here I have reflected and I think for me the problem is that too many of our players were still playing 'club' football i.e. seeking too much time on the ball, running into tackles whilst in possession, giving the opposition attack too much space etc etc.

Whilst the Antrim Championship is competitive and great entertainment I think using the lack of progress in Ulster of any Antrim Champions in the last 7-10 years as a yard stick I think we can all agree that Antrim football is in a developmental period, we are a Div 4 team at present for a reason i.e. we deserve to be there, why did so many think that we had a divine right to stroll down on Saturday and collect the points? Is this a mentality which has crept into the players minds? Has the chat made them believe that the job was done before boarding the coach? Some of the chat here about Wicklow has been at best disrespectful, maybe this is the wake up call fans and players a like needed.

Our Hurlers have been plodding away all year without the Superstar status and look what they have achieved, I think it is time for our footballers to have a good, long hard look at them selves and assess their own mentality. As for those calling for the management to go, as MR2 said there were so many on heralding their work earlier in the year and saying how we should have the more experienced players back for the last push over the line.................stop making fools out of yourselves lads by now spouting other nonsense.

Hopefully Saturday was the wake up call and the players get back to base camp ready to knuckle down and with a bit of luck we can be looking forward to Div 3 football next year

On a good news point I see two of our younger referees are making the step up referee in the Ulster Minor Championship this weekend, good luck Conall Roberts and Cathel McDermott

Quite possible one of the best posts I've seen on this and one that i fully agree with.

Id said once before on here about our club football not being strong - within Antrim its competitive but outside of that its not.

We haven't an Ulster club title since 2009 and haven't won a game in ulster since 2012. Our record in the County is of a poor standard as well with the max of two games a year the norm for ourselves now.

Antrim are literally where they need to be in terms of our football and the lowest tier isn't an insult to us.

Our hurling thought itself better than it was for years and until we caught on that we are where we deserved to be it was only then that they could start building again to try to get to the top league. Sunday past was a culmination of a lot of hard work and Div. 1 status has been hard earned by Antrim.

I asked the question a few pages back about any of our lads in the football development squads. I mean if a club our size that fields at every grade in football in Antrim hasn't got anyone involved in the County then you have to wonder what's been done to get the best players into the set ups when a club as big as ours and with the fatalities isn't even involved with the county at underage level at any great level?

A great debate got started by a Loughgiel hurler at the weekend online about the possibility of a football team in their club. Loughgiel is one of the largest Clubs in the county so something like this should be a real good thing for Antrim if it could be got going. They have more hurlers and camogiers than most clubs in Antrim do so how could it not be a great thing to have more footballers produced. The same applies with Ballycastle who do have a senior team but are trying to produce underage teams now as well. This is the untapped resources that need investing in.

Its not just about us but its more to do with what's being done to improve the game in the County when clearly we've been going no where for a long long time.

We seem to be doing the same thing and its broken. It needs repaired, not another band aid stuck over it.
hurl like f**k boi!

imtommygunn

Loughgiel had a team in the 80s did they not? I noticed in lockdown curly had photos on of a team of theirs playing a glenravel team (though maybe it was a friendly).

Na Glinntí Glasa

yeah it was just a charity game they had
hurl like f**k boi!

EOC1923

Fair points there DR, but why aren't players from your club going to the development squads etc? Just enquiring. Coming from a solely football club here I know but when it comes round to putting names forward for different age groups it does come down to the player themselves whether they go or not. There does seem to be more of an effort by Antrim this last 5-6 years with the development squads to be fair. Maybe that will have an impact who knows but they play in the same competitions as all the other counties at U14 / U15 / U17 level so not much else they can do bar improve the coaching.

Na Glinntí Glasa

To be honest EOC theres no interest for it in our players. I wont lie, I'm not sure if we do have any lads at the development squads - we could do, I might be wrong. I just cant understand the lack of interest in our players for the last 20 odd years towards the county teams and vise versa.

I've tried to do my part in the back ground with other posters on here to get some of our lads to go to the senior set up at the start of the year but it didn't go through which was a pity as they were more than good enough to fit into the panel.

Even when we won two minors in three years we never had a player in the county panel, something of which was noted within our club as a severe lack of respect towards the players and what was being done to develop them.

I know why they weren't there, it was down to the then management feeling they weren't good enough and !for every 'A.N Other' ( I wont use the lads name) we have 4 more of him better". I mean why would the players waste their time to go to a County team if their management think they are nothing more than bog standard.

I'd love to see more of our lads at the set ups but they all see hurling as a better option as they will have a chance to get somewhere whereas with football they wont get a look in.

The best players are not always from the top clubs - See Antrim hurlers - Stephen Rooney, St Pauls, Joe Maskey St Endas, Niall McKenna, Sarsfields all starting and holding regular places in the team despite playing at Junior, Intermediate and only out of intermediate level.
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

And our current captain DR, Conor McCann ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

DR, I can see how Dunloy felt bad about poor representation on football panels, we touched base about that a few times, but for some reason or other, the players wouldnt (or couldnt) commit. But youre right, the county managers of those particular age groups should have been making enquiries, not you and me! If they were at those matches they would have seen quite clearly that a few Dunloy lads were county standard.

Back when I was involved in dev squads etc I had at least three Dunloy lads in the panel, and they could all hold their own at that level. The managers and selectors need to fling their net far and wide to see whats available.

If there is anyone you think is being badly overlooked, pm me. Sometimes all it takes is a phone call and a bit of common sense to sort these things out.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on October 19, 2020, 06:32:16 PM
DR, I can see how Dunloy felt bad about poor representation on football panels, we touched base about that a few times, but for some reason or other, the players wouldnt (or couldnt) commit. But youre right, the county managers of those particular age groups should have been making enquiries, not you and me! If they were at those matches they would have seen quite clearly that a few Dunloy lads were county standard.

Back when I was involved in dev squads etc I had at least three Dunloy lads in the panel, and they could all hold their own at that level. The managers and selectors need to fling their net far and wide to see whats available.

If there is anyone you think is being badly overlooked, pm me. Sometimes all it takes is a phone call and a bit of common sense to sort these things out.

The clever thing is when a team such as Dunloy were dominating that age group and above you ask some of that Dunloy management to come on board as a selector, you don't leave the best players out, a great way to bring players on board is when there are friendly/familiar faces.