Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Over the Bar on May 19, 2019, 12:22:25 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on May 15, 2019, 08:18:35 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 15, 2019, 06:05:11 PM
The state of her  ;D
https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/motherofone-caught-trying-to-sell-90000-of-stolen-gold-court-hears-38115390.html

Good to see she dressed appropriately for the occasion. :P

Looks like one of the  Liverpool office staff that Brendy was knocking off.
Quote from: Over the Bar on May 18, 2019, 11:47:49 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 18, 2019, 09:08:02 PM
City fans becoming as obbsessed with Liverpool as their noisy neighbours are.
https://t.co/mz2mm8J27n

Why would anyone be obsessed with a team who haven't won the league in 30 years?

Puckoon

Squash is all the buzz in Spain

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48348431

A squash championship in northern Spain has sparked a debate about sexism in sport after female participants were awarded a vibrator, wax and a kit to remove foot calluses.

The top women players of the Asturias championship wrote to the local squash federation to complain about the incident.

It prompted resignations at the club that organised the event.

Contest winner Elisabet Sadó told the BBC that "things have to change".

Ms Sadó was awarded a trophy and a vibrator for getting the top spot in the competition.

The women in second, third and fourth places won an electronic foot file or hair removal wax.

"We were very surprised, very shocked. We think it's very sexist," Ms Sadó said.

How much sexism do women in rugby face?
Why politics is toxic for Australia's women
"We wanted to explain it to everybody because we think... there's a lot of discrimination... [against women in sport] and things have to change."

The women sent the prizes to the local squash federation along with a letter of complaint. The federation has helped them to take action.

Rudi

Maria Bailey FG Politics. 60k for falling off an unsupervised swing whilist holding items in both her hands. Insurance costs are soaring, small businesses are failing due to these exorbitant insurance costs, yet someone who should be seen as a role model is making a claim like this. Sense of entitlement from this yoke is disgusting.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Rudi on May 24, 2019, 12:04:53 PM
Maria Bailey FG Politics. 60k for falling off an unsupervised swing whilist holding items in both her hands. Insurance costs are soaring, small businesses are failing due to these exorbitant insurance costs, yet someone who should be seen as a role model is making a claim like this. Sense of entitlement from this yoke is disgusting.

First things first,  we do not know the full extent of why she is taking her case so to make assumptions about the whole case on a single excerpt from the proceedings is wrong.  We don't know how she fell and we do not know the extent of her injuries and there is political capital being made out of this without full facts.

Secondly she is not claiming for €60k and this is a f**king real bug bear of mine.  She has issued her case in the Circuit Court which has a range from €15k to €60k.  Even at the best case scenario most cases that are issued within this bracket settle or are awarded in the €15-30k mark.  There is an agenda being driven at the minute that there are exorbitant damages being paid out but that is categorically wrong.  The damages being paid out are generally in line with the Book of Quantum that was drafted by the Government and therefore the legal profession are simply following what the industry standard in the country has been for years! 

Thirdly, I work as a litigation solicitor in Personal Injury.  I can count on 2 hands the amount of what would be deemed fraudulent cases I have seen in my whole career.  I have dealt with hundreds, maybe thousands of cases.  My professional colleagues would have the same experience.  It would seem, if the insurance industry are to be believed, through their Blue Shirt media mouthpiece The Independent, that every second case that is being litigated on is fraud.  It is not.  The integrity of the legal profession is being undermined constantly without any real cogent evidence to back it up. 

Fourthly,  the amount of claims per head of capita are actually reducing!  The Injuries Board released figures last year which showed that the amount of claims are reducing in comparison to how many people live in the country.  The amount of claims has increased but as a stand alone statistic that does not allow for the increase in the population over the last 20 years,  it has increased by over 1m.  Also, we hve a much more affluent country therefore the amount of cars on the road have increased significantly which obviously has a knock on effect of more road traffic accidents.  Thirdly,  with the building boom and economic boom in general with more factories etc in teh country, there has been a significant increase in work place accidents.  These types of factors are never thrown out whenever people discuss the idea of the 'claim culture'.

Finally the insurance companies are complicit in the whole issue of carteling and price fixing.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/price-fixing-probe-into-motor-insurance-companies-454045.html

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/insurance-pricefix-inquiries-set-to-drag-on-37866267.html

It is not inconsequential that there is a serious blame game being driven against the Legal profession to deflect from the fact that the insurance companies have been ripping us off to our faces for years.  A simple example is the question of the soft play areas that have had difficulty getting insurance and had to get together and go to England.  In the last 5 years they have paid,  as a group, to Irish insurance companies a total of €5m in premiums,  increasing on a year by year basis.  During that time the total amount of compensation paid out to all plaintiffs for accidents in these soft play areas was just over €200k....that does not compute in my book. 

Don't believe all you read about insurance fraud etc.  It is part of an industry deflection to cover up their own sneaky and underhand behaviour for years.

five points

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 24, 2019, 12:40:36 PM

First things first,  we do not know the full extent of why she is taking her case so to make assumptions about the whole case on a single excerpt from the proceedings is wrong.  We don't know how she fell and we do not know the extent of her injuries and there is political capital being made out of this without full facts.

True, but her reported claim that the swing wasn't supervised, with the implication that every swing should be permanently supervised, is risible and, if true, fully warrants and deserves the contempt that the case publicity has attracted.

Rudi

Quote from: Rudi on May 24, 2019, 12:04:53 PM

Secondly she is not claiming for €60k and this is a f**king real bug bear of mine.  She has issued her case in the Circuit Court which has a range from €15k to €60k.  Even at the best case scenario most cases that are issued within this bracket settle or are awarded in the €15-30k mark.  There is an agenda being driven at the minute that there are exorbitant damages being paid out but that is categorically wrong.  The damages being paid out are generally in line with the Book of Quantum that was drafted by the Government and therefore the legal profession are simply following what the industry standard in the country has been for years! 

Thirdly, I work as a litigation solicitor in Personal Injury.  I can count on 2 hands the amount of what would be deemed fraudulent cases I have seen in my whole career.  I have dealt with hundreds, maybe thousands of cases.  My professional colleagues would have the same experience.  It would seem, if the insurance industry are to be believed, through their Blue Shirt media mouthpiece The Independent, that every second case that is being litigated on is fraud.  It is not.  The integrity of the legal profession is being undermined constantly without any real cogent evidence to back it up. 

Fourthly,  the amount of claims per head of capita are actually reducing!  The Injuries Board released figures last year which showed that the amount of claims are reducing in comparison to how many people live in the country.  The amount of claims has increased but as a stand alone statistic that does not allow for the increase in the population over the last 20 years,  it has increased by over 1m.  Also, we hve a much more affluent country therefore the amount of cars on the road have increased significantly which obviously has a knock on effect of more road traffic accidents.  Thirdly,  with the building boom and economic boom in general with more factories etc in teh country, there has been a significant increase in work place accidents.  These types of factors are never thrown out whenever people discuss the idea of the 'claim culture'.

Finally the insurance companies are complicit in the whole issue of carteling and price fixing.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/price-fixing-probe-into-motor-insurance-companies-454045.html

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/insurance-pricefix-inquiries-set-to-drag-on-37866267.html

It is not inconsequential that there is a serious blame game being driven against the Legal profession to deflect from the fact that the insurance companies have been ripping us off to our faces for years.  A simple example is the question of the soft play areas that have had difficulty getting insurance and had to get together and go to England.  In the last 5 years they have paid,  as a group, to Irish insurance companies a total of €5m in premiums,  increasing on a year by year basis.  During that time the total amount of compensation paid out to all plaintiffs for accidents in these soft play areas was just over €200k....that does not compute in my book. 

Don't believe all you read about insurance fraud etc.  It is part of an industry deflection to cover up their own sneaky and underhand behaviour for years.

All professionals within the legal trade act with intergrity and high moral code at all times too ;)

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: five points on May 24, 2019, 01:09:20 PM

True, but her reported claim that the swing wasn't supervised, with the implication that every swing should be permanently supervised, is risible and, if true, fully warrants and deserves the contempt that the case publicity has attracted.

This would be a statement that would make up part of the statements of negligence and would be one of maybe 15-16 statements.  The barrister would draft it and it would generally be a catch all type statement to ensure that no possible cause is left out.  What I would like to know is why have the rest of the statements not been released.....maybe because they are not so newsworthy and 'shocking'?  People are being played...

five points

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 24, 2019, 01:19:20 PM

This would be a statement that would make up part of the statements of negligence and would be one of maybe 15-16 statements.  The barrister would draft it and it would generally be a catch all type statement to ensure that no possible cause is left out.  What I would like to know is why have the rest of the statements not been released.....maybe because they are not so newsworthy and 'shocking'?  People are being played...

Still risible and still deserving of nothing but contempt. She's a TD for heaven's sake.

Rudi

Quote from: five points on May 24, 2019, 01:09:20 PM

People are being played all the time - based on an agenda to consume. Vaccines, recent referendums fall into this category.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: five points on May 24, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Still risible and still deserving of nothing but contempt. She's a TD for heaven's sake.

On the specific point I would agree with you but on the general issue of media reporting of PI claims I have serious issues about the cherry picking of the facts

five points

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 24, 2019, 01:36:57 PM
Quote from: five points on May 24, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

On the specific point I would agree with you but on the general issue of media reporting of PI claims I have serious issues about the cherry picking of the facts
Fair enough but facts will always be cherry picked. For that precise reason, people with reputations to protect tend to avoid litigation wherever possible.