10 Years Ago Today. Tyrone 0-12 Armagh 0-9.

Started by ONeill, September 28, 2013, 09:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Kerry have a claim to the team of the decade, as they were at the top right through. Tyrone didn't arrive until 2003 and Armagh faded towards the end. Galway are behind all 3 as they were only important for the first two years of the decade.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Quote from: armaghniac on October 06, 2013, 01:09:32 AM
Kerry have a claim to the team of the decade, as they were at the top right through. Tyrone didn't arrive until 2003 and Armagh faded towards the end. Galway are behind all 3 as they were only important for the first two years of the decade.

Jaysis, Armagh were only important for the same number of years as Galway by that logic.

armaghniac

In 2000, Kerry beat Armagh in extra time of a replay, they were as close to the top as Galway. In 2005 Armagh were similar, while Galway were long gone. In terms of that decade Armagh were well ahead of Galway.

Sidney

Yes, but Galway were a two All-Ireland team. One of those was in 1998, but their 2001 All-Ireland made them a two All-Ireland team, something Armagh never achieved.

armaghniac

Kerry have 36 titles, but it is their performance in the decade 2000-2009 that we are talking about.

Sidney

Quote from: armaghniac on October 06, 2013, 02:37:13 PM
Kerry have 36 titles, but it is their performance in the decade 2000-2009 that we are talking about.
Yes, but to the best of my knowledge they weren't achieved with the same team. The 1998 and 2001 Galway All-Irelands were achieved with largely the same group of players. That team won two All-Irelands to Armagh's one and thus has to be regarded as a better team.

Galway also beat Armagh when they met in 2001.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on October 05, 2013, 09:04:01 PM
I don't hate Tyrone people I just pity them. They have no footballing soul. You can just see the dead eyes in them as they play the game like a set of pre-defined drills.

Give me a few wireless receivers and cheap processor chip and a bad hairdo and I could build you a Tyrone footballer.

Were Paidí Ó Sé (RIP), Pat O'Shea & Jack O'Connor really that bad? Or are you just indulging your Tyrone Obsessive Compulsive Disorder yet again, to your own unbounded ridicule?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BennyCake

Quote from: BennyHarp on October 05, 2013, 04:39:30 PM
I can honestly say that I got over that Ulster final defeat the moment Peter pointed that free in the semi final. I suppose you have never had the closure that we have had.

By the way, I'd say, as good as Marsden was, he would hardly have the same influence on a game as BOTH Peter Canavan and Stevie O'Neill. Of course the AI semi defeat was of greater consequence, that's the point, you will obviously understand now why I discounted the ulster final as the better teams win when there is no second chances.  ;)

As you say, you got over the Ulster final when you beat us in the semi. That makes sense. I would have gladly taken an Ulster final defeat and a semi win, rather than what we got.

While I thought Canavan was probably harshly sent off that day (I've seen worse, and players not even booked), don't forget we went down to 14 as well, with Ciaran McKeever getting a red card. O'Neill did not deserve a red for sure. I can't really recall at what stage he went off and what bearing it had on the game. Nevertheless, had it been 15 v 15, you may have won, but we'll never know.

However, you were able to use that Ulster defeat to your advantage when meeting in the semi. And like I said before, even with Canavan/O'Neill being sent off, you were able to regroup and go on in the championship. That's something we were not afforded in 2003. The Marsden red card basically put an end to any hope of us regaining Sam. Marsden might not have been as influential as McConville or McDonnell, but he was still a very useful player. So, who knows.

So, you should understand how Armagh fans felt cheated that day. And it's nothing to do with being v Tyrone, it would've been the same had it happened v Kerry/Dublin or anyone. You obviously were hurting, and probably rightly so after the Ulster defeat, so you can understand Armagh fans unhappiness with a ref decision that ultimately lost us the biggest prize of all.

rrhf

Marsden threw a punch there was no cheating. He was stupid and gave the ref no option. Whether it was self defence or not is immaterial. Discipline let mars den down and the ref done the right thing. Tyrone were 5 points a better team and if anything Armagh raised their game after being putrid throughout.

Throw ball

Quote from: rrhf on October 06, 2013, 10:45:49 PM
Marsden threw a punch there was no cheating. He was stupid and gave the ref no option. Whether it was self defence or not is immaterial. Discipline let mars den down and the ref done the right thing. Tyrone were 5 points a better team and if anything Armagh raised their game after being putrid throughout.

I would challenge that Marsden raised his arms to defend himself as Jordan charged him down. I would challenge anyone not to do the same in his position. His red was overturned so in the rules hat makes the decision wrong. In any case this will go on for years. Armagh and Tyrone fans will never agree on it.

I could also add that Tyrone ones I talk to always mention that the pictures show that Marsden raised a fist. In the 2005 semi the final free was won by O'Neill. I have seen pictures showing O'Neill pulling McKeever's jersey. We could keep this argument going for another 20 pages.

Wildweasel74

Jordan lay down and got him sent off, was the case 10yrs ago, still the same now nothing changed, nearly as bad as the day wee pete ran in Mike McCarthy and lay down, the kerry man getting booked for nothing, Greg McCartan getting the same after Brian McGuigan lay down  from sniper fire after been hit by a ball, combine that with Ryan Mc  knee to John Mc, Paul Donnelly throwing James McC (boots lol) into the crowd, Gormley cheap shot into the stomach of Tomas OSe, is it a wonder Mike Sheedy and bennycake are giving Tyrone so much grief on here, outside of Dublin who i cold name a no of accidents in the minus box, no other team has brought the unsavory element out in the open, Tyrone were a great team but their manager should have come down hard on some repeat offenders on his team, instead of trying to get players off suspensions, cut out the diving and playacting and i think they would had country wide respect.

general_lee

Quote from: rrhf on October 06, 2013, 10:45:49 PM
He didn't throw a punch. Not a player that was ever known for indiscipline either. Jordan ran at him and he raised his hands. Jordan fell to the ground like a ginny ann as if he'd been ko'd.

If it was a clear cut strike/punch and there for all to see, as Tyrone men here like to claim, why on earth had he the audacity to go and (successfully) appeal it?

Jordan made a d1ck of himself and whatever about Tyrone's outstanding successes since 03, that one incident for me will forever epitomise how pathetic certain Tyrone players' behaviour was during that era (Wildweasel kindly highlights a few others).

BennyCake

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 07, 2013, 12:16:34 AM
Jordan lay down and got him sent off, was the case 10yrs ago, still the same now nothing changed, nearly as bad as the day wee pete ran in Mike McCarthy and lay down, the kerry man getting booked for nothing, Greg McCartan getting the same after Brian McGuigan lay down  from sniper fire after been hit by a ball, combine that with Ryan Mc  knee to John Mc, Paul Donnelly throwing James McC into the crowd, Gormley cheap shot into the stomach of Tomas OSe, is it a wonder Mike Sheedy and bennycake are giving Tyrone so much grief on here, outside of Dublin who i cold name a no of accidents in the minus box, no other team has brought the unsavory element out in the open, Tyrone were a great team but their manager should have come down hard on some repeat offenders on his team, instead of trying to get players off suspensions, cut out the diving and playacting and i think they would had country wide respect.

It was James McCartan's boot he threw into the crowd, but I like that image better  ;D

I've stated my opinion before on that last highlighted bit a few times recently. Somehow I think it would be a waste of my time doing so again.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: BennyCake on October 07, 2013, 01:03:39 AM
I've stated my opinion before on that last highlighted bit a few times recently. Somehow I think it would be a waste of my time doing so again.

Ah no, keep it up, you've no idea how supremely gratifying the moans hereon are for some of us!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BennyHarp

So, if someone runs over to you on a football pitch, the standard response is to raise your hand and punch him in the face?  What did Marsden think Jordan was going to do to him that warranted the self defence, if he thought he was going to be hit, Jordan would have been sent off and history may have been different. But he didn't, he struck Jordan and deservedly walked. As for someone bringing the "Marsdens a lovely bloke he wouldn't do something like that" argument into, grow up, ffs! Jordan's career isn't exactly littered with red cards but you are happy to assume he was on his way to assault Marsden.
That was never a square ball!!