Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Quote from: Angelo on July 01, 2020, 11:46:24 AM
An own goal for SF but they are held to higher standards than others as usual.

I wouldnt say higher standards Angelo - they are held to the standards they were pushing the public to follow?

Snapchap

I don't think anyone is suggesting two wrongs make a right, but you just have to laugh about the people making the most noise about this, and the very notion that their concern is for public health.

I didn't see one single complaint about the funeral distancing breaches at Garda Horkan's funeral, which included distancing breaches by at least one FG government minister. Another FG TD, Jennifer Carrol McNeill, was vocally critical on Twitter yesterday about breaches of Social Distancing at yesterday's funeral. This same woman was photographed on the front page of the paper during the week, sitting on a bench right next to another two FG TDs.

Anyone who said f#@k all about Garda Horkan's funeral, but who is jumping up and down about Bobby Storey's funeral, can go do one.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Snapchap on July 01, 2020, 12:26:18 PM
I don't think anyone is suggesting two wrongs make a right, but you just have to laugh about the people making the most noise about this, and the very notion that their concern is for public health.

I didn't see one single complaint about the funeral distancing breaches at Garda Horkan's funeral, which included distancing breaches by at least one FG government minister. Another FG TD, Jennifer Carrol McNeill, was vocally critical on Twitter yesterday about breaches of Social Distancing at yesterday's funeral. This same woman was photographed on the front page of the paper during the week, sitting on a bench right next to another two FG TDs.

Anyone who said f#@k all about Garda Horkan's funeral, but who is jumping up and down about Bobby Storey's funeral, can go do one.

+1 All should be called out and haven't been.

five points

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 01, 2020, 12:29:49 PM

There is a reason for that. The photos of the Garda funeral weren't as widely shared as the Storey one. I didn't see any until today.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: five points on July 01, 2020, 01:01:49 PM

There is a reason for that. The photos of the Garda funeral weren't as widely shared as the Storey one. I didn't see any until today.

Seriously!? You don't watch the news or flick through the papers. You probably did see pictures but didnt see an issue.

Snapchap

Quote from: five points on July 01, 2020, 01:01:49 PM

And why do you think that would be?

Rossfan

The deflecting whataboutry cavalry have been sent into action.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

yellowcard

It was a very poor judgement call from SF and Michelle O'Neill in particular given how they campaigned vigorously for schools closure (correctly imo) prior to any initial Covid lockdown. This just makes the decision even more bewildering since they were possibly the strongest advocates for locking down at the beginning. So what has changed, we know that the virus has not gone away. They have left themselves wide open for criticism.

Predictably as always in this place it has now turned into an us and them political football and a mud slinging contest ably assisted yet again by Stephen Nolan. It is a bit OTT to suggest that it is a resignation matter but it is a problem entirely of SF's doing and a former Health Minister, no less really should have known better. As a public figure she will have lost all credibility now if she is standing on a podium announcing new lockdown measures or restrictions.   

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on July 01, 2020, 01:20:37 PM

Deflecting? No.

Whataboutery? Absolutely.

When people pretend to be outraged as social distancing breaches involving SF, they 100% deserve to be called out for their silence on social distancing by FG.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Snapchap on July 01, 2020, 01:22:41 PM

Deflecting? No.

When people pretend to be outraged as social distancing breaches involving SF, they 100% deserve to be called out for their silence on social distancing by FG.
+1 The whataboutery defence is usually employed after bouts of selective outrage.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Snapchap

I see Neale Richmond has hopped on the bandwagon, and is making demands that Mary Lou and Pearse Doherty apologise to the Dáil for breaching social distancing at a funeral.

He has not asked his colleague Charlie Flanagan to apologise to the Dáil for breaching social distancing at another funeral.

Maybe he has seen some sort of new research indicating that the coronavirus can only infects people attending funeral of Sinn Féin members or something.

Either that, or he's just another hypocritical mouthpiece.

armaghniac

Garda Horkan's funeral was pretty effectively socially distanced, and SF definitely made an effort too. However, the difference was that Vardakar did not travel to Mayo while Mary-Lou and Pearse Doherty did go Belfast, so there was a difference of tone in the two events. SF needed to make a point here about public responsibility and they failed to do and even if Jennifer Carrol McNeil is a hypocrite that in no way justifies SF.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 01, 2020, 01:38:32 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on July 01, 2020, 01:22:41 PM

Deflecting? No.

+1 The whataboutery defence is usually employed after bouts of selective outrage.
Quote from: armaghniac on July 01, 2020, 02:16:49 PM

Garda Horkan's funeral was pretty effectively socially distanced, and SF definitely made an effort too. However, the difference was that Vardakar did not travel to Mayo while Mary-Lou and Pearse Doherty did go Belfast, so there was a difference of tone in the two events. SF needed to make a point here about public responsibility and they failed to do and even if Jennifer Carrol McNeil is a hypocrite that in no way justifies SF.

;D
You need to do a bit more of the research activity.

johnnycool

Quote from: hardstation on July 01, 2020, 02:19:30 PM
There are hypocrites on all sides of this. People calling for Cummings to resign but quiet on this, people backing Cummings but cracking up about this. Add in FG too and other episodes no doubt.

There are those who believe that it's a 2 finger salute to their dead relative who mustn't be important enough. To be honest, I don't think it's about their relative at all.
Then, there are those who have now decided that they aren't going to heed any of the guidelines because of this. Foolish, if you ask me.

However, SF fouled the ball here and deserve their turn at taking the pasting. I don't understand how they just walked themselves into this. It just seems so obvious, stupid and needless. I do think that they do take a bit of stick, unfairly at times, more so than other parties and I have defended them on certain things but they do come across as arrogant pricks at times.

The Shinners were totally in the wrong with what transpired at Storeys funeral, goes without saying and being in positions of power (and influence) need to be held to a higher standard than those out protesting with BLM or "minding" statues..

Tough time for everyone in showing their respects to our dead friends and family, but when the time is right their lives should be celebrated, but not now.

general_lee

I think the thinking from SF here is, what's more important, showing an example or giving our comrade a good send-off? Either way there was always going to be a big crowd lining the route so they clearly thought "fück it" and just went with the latter. As such all criticism is fully justified. I just can't stand selective criticism. Will the same be said of the people out attending that poor young fella's funeral? Unlikely.