We need to talk about Kieran Donaghy

Started by kerryforsam2018, September 11, 2018, 10:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerryforsam2018

All the best in retirement Kieran. One of the greatest full forwards of time.

Statement from Kieran Donaghy

Today I wish to announce my retirement from the Kerry Senior Football team. The journey has been full of ups and downs but I never wanted it to end. It has surpassed even my wildest dreams, that a basketball kid from Tralee would end up playing 69 times in the championship over a 14 year period for the famous Green and Gold.

To every one of my Kerry teammates who I was lucky enough to have played with, I thank you for your patience, help and advice during those years. I'm blessed to have had the time of my life with you boys fighting on my back trying to win games for Kerry. We had some tough times, such is life but the wonderful stories and memories we shared will stick with me forever.

To get the opportunity to soldier with and against some of the greatest players of all time is something I will always treasure.

During my career I have been lucky enough to work with some great Kerry managers and their respective management teams. They took a chance on me, believed in me in massive high-pressure situations. They gave me the confidence to develop my game which allowed me to perform on the biggest of occasions for Kerry .

I would like to thank the Kerry County Board along with our sponsors Kerry Group, backroom staff and medical teams for their constant help and guidance throughout my career. Your unbelievable work is not seen by many but it's massively appreciated by the team and by me.

A huge thank you to the loyal Kerry fans who traveled far and wide to watch and support us. We love football in this county and while there is a pressure to perform we always embrace it. We need to get behind this young team we will have next year, so get the flags out and get to the games to support the boys.

I would also like to thank all the supporters who live abroad but continue their love and support of Kerry.

I would like to thank my club Austin Stacks, everything I achieved is a direct result of the help and guidance ye gave me from an early age. To represent this great club is always a massive privilege and our county championship win in 2014 gave me the ultimate honour the following season. To be captain of a county like Kerry is something I'm extremely proud to have accomplished.

To my family, without you none of this would have been possible. Mom, I am forever grateful to you for believing in me and showing me how to be a good person first and foremost.

To my wife Hilary, you're all that I could ask for, thank you so much for always putting me first during my career , we have had so many wonderful experiences together throughout this journey and made life long friends along the way I can't wait to start the next exciting chapter together with Lola-Rose & Indie.

To the rest of my family, thank you for your support and always having my back.

I'm a proud Kerry man and to have represented this county meant absolutely everything to me. As the great John B Keane once said, 'I'm one lucky hoor!'

shawshank

Kieran was a class act, loved his attitude, competitive as hell, but more importantly love his footballing ability, had a brilliant footballing brain. His style was unique, I think most loved his and Kerrys way of using him by  making the beautiful game simple.

Dinny Breen

He will be missed, an interesting character on and off the field, maximised his talent. He will be a good media presence, met him in his current work role, a very positive man. Best of luck!
#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Shamrock Shore

Made his name against Longford in 2006 in Killarney when he was tried in at full forward to see how he'd get on.

Destroyed us that day and Star was born.

Wish him well...........

Taylor

Not everyone's cup of tea due to his verbals and attempted intimidation of referees but was a superb player and one many teams would have liked on their side

rrhf

One of the greatest Kerry footballers of the last 30 years. Brilliant competitor and very dangerous. Enjoy

Orchard park

Won't be the last we will hear of him. Happy retirement and an example to loads of players how to maximise the gifts you have and of the need to slog it out. He arguably could have had cause to retire every year since 2013.

I brought him in to speak to TY students last year and the word back from everyone was that his enthusiasm  was infectious

Jinxy

I'll miss the sense of anticipation as a long diagonal ball goes into him knowing there's a good chance he'll either catch it or break it to a teammate.
Sure, he did plenty of talking on the field but he backed it up.
Anytime I heard him speaking he came across as a very genuine & honest chap who didn't take himself too seriously.
The game will miss him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

All he did to back it up was catch the ball and be on a good team. There's players up and down the country who could have done what he did if given the same opportunities. Limited footballer and unlimited gob.

I'm not going to pretend I like or respect him because he's retiring.

GetOverTheBar

Always been a big fan of Donaghy. Massive player in every sense - really enjoyed his book also if any of you haven't read it give it a go, you'll find a new found respect for a legend of the game.

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on September 11, 2018, 11:23:32 AM
All he did to back it up was catch the ball and be on a good team. There's players up and down the country who could have done what he did I'd give the same opportunities. Limited footballer and unlimited gob.

Would you think Kerry would have won 2006 or 2014 without him .

He wasn't whier than white and never pretended yo be but very few backs could ever manage him which is s fair testament to ability.

And he is seriously good company off field in my limited exposure......

brokencrossbar1

One of the finest exponents of the old style full forward play I have ever seen. As someone who played that position most of my career it was great to see how he was able to play the game and make the players around him better by his unselfish team play and simplicity of his game. He was always 2-3 seconds faster in his head then the man marking him and when you're like that it looks like you actually don't do much but he had the ball won and simple pass away before the Full back even knew. A lot of that came too from his work on the basketball court and I remember speaking to a basketball coach friend of mine who did regular 1-1 work with him and he said he was always looking for the extra edge in both games.

Enjoy the time off Star....don't think it will be long till you're back in somewhere!

Snapchap

Quote from: Syferus on September 11, 2018, 11:23:32 AM

I'd say he's gutted now.

stephenite

Good player - good luck to him

That poem he wrote was an awful load of auld shite though