Derry
Fermanagh
Longford
Offaly
Sligo
Westmeath
Wexford

Patrick-Armagh

Who does Conor Macken play for? Can't say I've heard of him before and can't recall seeing his name on a match day panel.

tonto1888

Quote from: Patrick-Armagh on April 03, 2018, 02:13:04 PM
Who does Conor Macken play for? Can't say I've heard of him before and can't recall seeing his name on a match day panel.

Same club as McCabe I read somewhere.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 03, 2018, 09:29:50 AM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 03, 2018, 09:17:16 AM
Did anyone, other than Jim McCorry, notice Down falling into Division 3 as Armagh stepped up to Division 2?

Hard not to smile.

It's great working with Down people who are tying themselves up in knots over eamon burns. Really don't rate him!!

Problem is their arrogance prevents them from rating anyone taking the senior county team while the real problem is the general malaise in football across such a highly populated county.

yellowcard

Down got rid of McCorry too hastily after one season after he over achieved by getting them promoted to division 1. He had one bad defeat to Wexford I think but I could never understand the logic of replacing a manager like McCorry who a good track record with a manager who to the best of my knowledge, had no history of success. That said he simply doesn't have the players.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: yellowcard on April 03, 2018, 07:06:17 PM
Down got rid of McCorry too hastily after one season after he over achieved by getting them promoted to division 1. He had one bad defeat to Wexford I think but I could never understand the logic of replacing a manager like McCorry who a good track record with a manager who to the best of my knowledge, had no history of success. That said he simply doesn't have the players.

Sheer parochialism overtook logic when they refused to recognise how far football had deteriorated since 1994.

imtommygunn

To be fair they were in the ai final 2010 and only lost by a point.

Unlaoised

God did armagh bring anyone to croker...??
LAOIS ABÚ

bennydorano

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 03, 2018, 10:10:07 PM
To be really fair the luck was hanging out of them in 2010 & Clarke was fit and interested.

imtommygunn

Ripped kerry apart.

With clarke pulling strings they had boys in forwards who could rip teams apart.

The wee fella mccuminskey from dundrum was a massive loss.

They were very lucky against kildare but not sure on the rest. I think had kildare beat down they'd have won the ai but that is another story.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 04, 2018, 07:01:44 PMThey were very lucky against kildare but not sure on the rest. I think had kildare beat down they'd have won the ai but that is another story.
Always thought the same, Kildare had great momentum that year and might well have done it had the officials done their job right in the semi. Rarely has a team deserved an All Ireland less than that Cork team in 2010, it was handed to them.

Rufus T Firefly

I still shake my head in disbelief at that and my blood runs cold at how easily they could have won that. Armagh had a very indifferent team that year and still gave Down a sound beating in the Division 2 League Final.

macdanger2

Quote from: Owenmoresider on April 04, 2018, 07:27:53 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 04, 2018, 07:01:44 PMThey were very lucky against kildare but not sure on the rest. I think had kildare beat down they'd have won the ai but that is another story.
Always thought the same, Kildare had great momentum that year and might well have done it had the officials done their job right in the semi. Rarely has a team deserved an All Ireland less than that Cork team in 2010, it was handed to them.

They probably didn't deserve the AI based on the performances of that year but they had been consistently good in the previous 3 years (bar games played in CP against Kerry) - more "deserving" of an AI than either Kildare or Down imo

Owen Brannigan

It's still brings a smile that the 'aristocrats' are following Derry down the divisions and relieved that Armagh are escaping Division 3.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 05, 2018, 12:49:22 AM

They probably didn't deserve the AI based on the performances of that year but they had been consistently good in the previous 3 years (bar games played in CP against Kerry) - more "deserving" of an AI than either Kildare or Down imo
Maybe but the way Kildare were playing that year (albeit after being upended by Louth) I felt they were the better team that year, Cork had their usual loss to Kerry and got the handiest possible draw going almost every time after that, and a Dublin team in the semi that was undergoing serious carthasis after the Kerry and Meath drubbings before becoming the team they are now, but they still could have won but for McConnell late on giving away a penalty and later getting the line, and a Down team in the final that came almost out of nowhere and went back there almost as quickly. Always regarded them as a fine example of flat track bullies as leading football teams go, they'd flatten any disjointed shambles of a team no bother but even if an average team were well organised and put it up to them they struggled to get through.

shark

Quote from: Owenmoresider on April 05, 2018, 02:36:02 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on April 05, 2018, 12:49:22 AM

Maybe but the way Kildare were playing that year (albeit after being upended by Louth) I felt they were the better team that year, Cork had their usual loss to Kerry and got the handiest possible draw going almost every time after that, and a Dublin team in the semi that was undergoing serious carthasis after the Kerry and Meath drubbings before becoming the team they are now, but they still could have won but for McConnell late on giving away a penalty and later getting the line, and a Down team in the final that came almost out of nowhere and went back there almost as quickly. Always regarded them as a fine example of flat track bullies as leading football teams go, they'd flatten any disjointed shambles of a team no bother but even if an average team were well organised and put it up to them they struggled to get through.

Usual loss to Kerry hardly applied at that time, when referring to Munster championship which you are doing here. They beat Kerry in 2006, 2008 and 2009. That Cork team deserved their All-Ireland. 3 finals and 2 semi finals from 2006 to 2010. And in all that time they only lost to 1 team.