Supposed GAA Ban on Bookmakers sponsorship

Started by LooseCannon, October 26, 2018, 03:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LooseCannon

I know that there's a few on here from Crossmaglen. Saw Aaron Kernan pictured outside a Bar One shop, with the Armagh senior club championship cup. I'm aware that Bar One is still displayed on their jerseys. Why haven't Crossmaglen been reprimanded yet?

angermanagement

lurganblue

Quote from: LooseCannon on October 26, 2018, 03:43:56 PM
I know that there's a few on here from Crossmaglen. Saw Aaron Kernan pictured outside a Bar One shop, with the Armagh senior club championship cup. I'm aware that Bar One is still displayed on their jerseys. Why haven't Crossmaglen been reprimanded yet?

Also is there not something in that if the club can prove an agreement was already in place for sponsorship over a number of years to come, that agreement would then stand? Have i made that up?

LooseCannon

Quote from: angermanagement on October 26, 2018, 03:55:03 PM
It doesn't come into effect until 2019.
I thought that it came into effect this year because I noticed that bookmakers' ad boards were taken down in numerous club grounds in OY.

Solo_run

I see why bookmakers are banned from advertising in GAA but in reality will it make much of a difference?

Milltown Row2

Will we lose the GAA betting thread?  :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kernan_is_King

Aaron was merely walking on the street with the cup and someone photographed him.
Sure someone from Cross has that cup most of the time.
Big Joe - Big Future!

LooseCannon

Quote from: Kernan_is_King on October 26, 2018, 06:53:36 PM

Aaron was merely walking on the street with the cup and someone photographed him.
Sure someone from Cross has that cup most of the time.

Apart from the fact that he mentioned that they sponsored Crossmaglen for 11 years, while they won 8 Armagh's, 5 Ulster's and 2 all-Ireland's.

Also I note that their race night is sponsored by Bar One.

BennyCake

Always thought it strange seein Oisin McConville wearing a cross Jersey with a betting company on it

Don Johnson

Quote from: lurganblue on October 26, 2018, 04:22:49 PM

Also is there not something in that if the club can prove an agreement was already in place for sponsorship over a number of years to come, that agreement would then stand? Have i made that up?

No that's 100%, in fact the Clans had just agreed a 100 year deal with Tommy French the week before the ruling came in.