Roscommon v Mayo Connacht final 2011

Started by ross4life, June 24, 2011, 07:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Only two days before the big two collide head on it's time to remind Mayo/Galway fans no silverware will be given out on Sunday & the real Connacht final is on July 17th.

So Mayo it is.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

seafoid

Quote from: ross4life on June 24, 2011, 07:23:17 PM
Only two days before the big two collide head on it's time to remind Mayo/Galway fans no silverware will be given out on Sunday & the real Connacht final is on July 17th.

Yeah, the arrogance of the Mayo fans these last few weeks has been incredible.
All that stuff about the freetakers and all. 

ross matt

Yeah I too cant believe how cocky Mayo are this week. Today especially.

ross4life

The likes of PJ,Bergin,Moran,Dillion etc have played in loads of Senior All Ireland finals & the young players on both sides have won multiple Connacht Minor,U21 & All Ireland titles. I don't buy the poor mouth from the Galway/Mayo fans here for one second!
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

Nor do I.
They believe that if they win tomorrow the 17th will be just a formality.
All I can say is - keep thinking that way buckeens  ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Does your name have to start with Ross if you are from Roscommon ?
Honestly you make me laugh talking up Galway and Mayo. Mayo are like Hugh Hefner at this stage.
Have some respect ! The man/team are a pale shadow of their former selves. 

ross4life

Quote from: seafoid on June 25, 2011, 03:56:35 PM
Does your name have to start with Ross if you are from Roscommon ?
Honestly you make me laugh talking up Galway and Mayo. Mayo are like Hugh Hefner at this stage.
Have some respect ! The man/team are a pale shadow of their former selves.

Have you just suddenly realised alot of Roscommon fans here have Ross in their usernames? short answer no. & do you remember Mayo from 1996?

Tubberman

Jesus ye Rossies really are giddy with excitement  :D
Can't even wait until the other semi is played before ye start a thread on the final.
Ye took over the Mayo v Galway thread as well for a while  :D
Don't worry, ye will get the attention ye so badly crave once tomorrow's match is out of the way.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ross4life

Quote from: Tubberman on June 25, 2011, 04:40:48 PM
Jesus ye Rossies really are giddy with excitement  :D
Can't even wait until the other semi is played before ye start a thread on the final.
Ye took over the Mayo v Galway thread as well for a while  :D
Don't worry, ye will get the attention ye so badly crave once tomorrow's match is out of the way.

If Mayo were in the final already this thread would have been started 3 weeks ago & no doubt if Mayo win tomorrow this thread will be taken over by ye  ;)

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ross matt on June 24, 2011, 08:40:49 PM

So you think we are cocky on this board, do you?
You might go pay a visit to hoganstand then if you want to know what the Mayo heads over there have to say about the game. It was a case of firsts all the way when I checked the Mayo forum today.
It was my first time to do this and this is what I found in the first post in the first topic I clicked on:

"Mayo will bring the shooting boots for this game but ya can't score unless ya don't have the ball."

How's that for a spot of insightful analysis? ;D
A Íosa Críost na bhFlaitheas! Here was me in me innocence, thinking our bucks found it hard enough to score when they had the ball and this genius figures we'll be better off without a ball at all.
That was bad enough but not one of the twenty or so who followed him picked up on it. Maybe they know something over there that we don't.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Shrewdness

All knowledgeable Gaa people in Roscommon are certainly not getting carried away about this final. Maybe a lot of the younger supporters are getting a bit giddy with hope and excitement, but where's the harm in it.
My main concern for Ros is that Mayo are going to be a step up in standard compared to every team we've faced since Cork last year.
How far we have really progressed during the past 12 months will be revealed on July 17.
With Ros, they're either impressive or poor. There never seems to be a middle ground. Impressive wins v New York and Leitrim were proceeded by a very poor display against Longford in Croke Park.

I still believe that the bookies won't take any chances, and will price Mayo up as favourites, which is understandable given that they are consistently playing a higher level of opposition than Ros.

ross matt

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 25, 2011, 11:56:21 PM
Quote from: ross matt on June 24, 2011, 08:40:49 PM

So you think we are cocky on this board, do you?You might go pay a visit to hoganstand then if you want to know what the Mayo heads over there have to say about the game. It was a case of firsts all the way when I checked the Mayo forum today.
It was my first time to do this and this is what I found in the first post in the first topic I clicked on:

"Mayo will bring the shooting boots for this game but ya can't score unless ya don't have the ball."

How's that for a spot of insightful analysis? ;D
A Íosa Críost na bhFlaitheas! Here was me in me innocence, thinking our bucks found it hard enough to score when they had the ball and this genius figures we'll be better off without a ball at all.
That was bad enough but not one of the twenty or so who followed him picked up on it. Maybe they know something over there that we don't.

No Lar. I was being sarcastic. Never heard such beal bocht from ye in all my life. However that'll all cease now with the chance to rub the Rossie noses in it again in the Hyde.  ;)

ross matt

Now its a Mayo/Rossie Connacht final. The concern for Ross is that Mayo will continue to improve. As Seafoid mentioned in his post the London match now needs to be put in perspective in light of them beating Fermanagh. In other words Mayo have been playing badly but winning plus crucially improving with each win. Sign of mental toughness. Not something normally associated with Mayo football so Horan must be doing something right. I'm bothered by how good their midfield looked today and also how fresh Mcgarrity looked. I've always rated Ronan highly. Midfield in an area that Ross have done very well in over the last 2 seasons but Mayo will be a big test here. Dillon will never waste so much ball again and Moran is invaluable. Their full forwardline looked like they could score goals if given early ball.

The plus for us is that our midfield will be better than Galway and as has been ruthlessly demonstrated in the Leitrim match Fergie has the Ross defenders hassling opponents without giving away soft frees. This again in contrast to Galway. Inside Shine and Kilbride are big enough to win their own ball and its unlikely they will both be stopped. Cregg then brings a different dimension to the attack in terms of hard driving runs so there will be variety. Finally O'gara will be available and he is on form as good as shine or kilbride.

Its a nice run in for Mayo. I think they will go in as even stevens or even with Ross being favourites. Despite all the underage success this will be a new aspect to deal with mentally for us. We will have to bring our A game because Mayo will definitely be up for this and will fancy themselves quietly to nail us in the manner we did Sligo in last years final. It promises to be a great match. We definitely CAN win but just now I'm unsure as to be able to say we Will win

Blowitupref

No disrespect to the Mayo fans but it would be better to see the underdog Roscommon win this, the joyful scene in front of the Hyde park crowd would be something else however TBH i really can't see Mayo beaten.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Ros haven't had a decent team that could win Connacht consistently since the Dermot Earley /McManus crowd that got to the all-Ireland in 1980 . Yes there was a flash in 91 but nothing else. So this is a once in a generation chance for Ros to get their shit together. Mayo and Galway are not on top form and there is nothing surer but that they will rise again. It is a lot easier to win Connacht when things are in such a state of flux.  So for Ros this is the match to lose.