The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

Had a wee glance thro the young boys wall chart (ok ive been fillin it in too lol) and i think it was Germany then Spain who royally fxuked things up overall for that side of the draw.

I agree the 4 best teams are all in the other side

tiempo

Quote from: lenny on July 05, 2018, 08:40:32 AM
The world cup needs some kind of more robust seeding because this year the final will totally be devalued with a very weak team in it. One of england, sweden, croatia or russia will make the final. On the other side of the draw there are 4 very strong teams all of whom would be worthy fianlists. It would've been great to see a final of Brazil/belgium v Uruguay/France.
England in this tournament have reached the qf and the only teams they have beaten are tunisia and panama. I can see their game v sweden going to pens but if they come through that they will most likely be beaten by croatia who are technically far superior.

Bullsh1t on so many levels

NAG1

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 05, 2018, 09:38:55 AM
Had a wee glance thro the young boys wall chart (ok ive been fillin it in too lol) and i think it was Germany then Spain who royally fxuked things up overall for that side of the draw.

The draw is what it is, if they seeded teams as in Germany and Spain had not gone out you would have had them and England on the other side which would have been another 3 strong teams to match the other side.

I think it is great to see different teams making it through, Germany were rubbish and Spain were off colour after the incident with their manager. So alls fair.

thewobbler

The world cup needs some kind of more robust seeding because this year the final will totally be devalued with a very weak team in it. One of england, sweden, croatia or russia will make the final. On the other side of the draw there are 4 very strong teams all of whom would be worthy fianlists. It would've been great to see a final of Brazil/belgium v Uruguay/France.
England in this tournament have reached the qf and the only teams they have beaten are tunisia and panama. I can see their game v sweden going to pens but if they come through that they will most likely be beaten by croatia who are technically far superior.

Sure why bother with a World Cup at all?

Should just get Brazil to play France and whoever wins is given the cup.

ziggy90

Plus you have the added factor of Russia being at home. Home countries have a good track record in the WC and it wouldn't surprise me to see them in the semis.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

seafoid

Quote from: NAG1 on July 05, 2018, 09:50:06 AM

The draw is what it is, if they seeded teams as in Germany and Spain had not gone out you would have had them and England on the other side which would have been another 3 strong teams to match the other side.

I think it is great to see different teams making it through, Germany were rubbish and Spain were off colour after the incident with their manager. So alls fair.

Germany and Spain were highly fancied before the tournament.
A lot of the big teams flopped this time. That is sport.
England deserve a bit of luck anyway.
I think Croatia were very nervous the last day. There is probably a lot of pressure on them from home

What is really interesting is the difference in the last 20 years between Croatia and Serbia. They both contributed to the great Yugoslavia team that should have won the 92 Euros and to the legendary Red Star who won the 91 European Cup but Serbia have been operating at a lower level recently. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on July 05, 2018, 10:19:48 AM

I think Croatia were very nervous the last day. There is probably a lot of pressure on them from home

What is really interesting is the difference in the last 20 years between Croatia and Serbia. They both contributed to the great Yugoslavia team that should have won the 92 Euros and to the legendary Red Star who won the 91 European Cup but Serbia have been operating at a lower level recently.

Just think how great an All Ireland team would be............ ::)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armamike

If the 'big' teams aren't good enough so be it. That's sport.  Any team that makes it through the final fully deserves their chance.  I remember Germany getting through to the 2002 final with a poor enough side.  The big countries can have ropey teams too.

That's just, like your opinion man.

Syferus

This might be the worst post on this WC that I've seen, if it's actually serious.

This is easily the most exciting WC in my lifetime.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: seafoid on July 05, 2018, 10:19:48 AM

That's cos the Croats are taigs  8)

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on July 05, 2018, 05:30:45 PM

This might be the worst post on this WC that I've seen, if it's actually serious.

But that's not very long !

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/05/rescuers-draining-thai-cave-in-hope-football-team-can-walk-out-before-rains

One Thai navy Seal member who spent time with the boys said they "were always asking about the World Cup. I told them that all the big teams had gone home.

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on July 05, 2018, 06:18:56 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 05, 2018, 05:30:45 PM

But that's not very long !

Long enough to have seen the USSR fall.

gallsman

This world cup has been entertaining, that's for sure. Has it even been better than 2014 though? Not in my book.

sid waddell

Quote from: gallsman on July 05, 2018, 09:41:43 PM
This world cup has been entertaining, that's for sure. Has it even been better than 2014 though? Not in my book.
Comparing it to the same stage of the 2014 tournament, it definitely has been.

And from the quarter-finals onwards, the 2014 tournament was very poor.

Brazil-Germany was obviously memorable but that was because it was a total freak show which showcased a hapless incompetence never before seen from a team seen as a World Cup contender, not because of it being a classic match, which it wasn't.