Ulster club senior football championship - 2015

Started by JoG2, August 27, 2015, 09:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cccc

Quote from: Lucifer on November 30, 2015, 01:43:23 PM
To clarify the cards issue and extra time;

Old Rule - A team returns to 15 players in extra time but cards carry over.

New Rule - A team returns to 15 players in extra time but cards are wiped clean.

The original rule didn't make sense but I always felt the correct change to make was to allow cards to carry over but to change the ruling on teams returning to 15 players. In other words, let all cards from the 60 minutes carry over into extra time, including players sent off.

What then is the rule for noting/tickings from normal time to extra time, do they carry over or not ?

seafoid

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 30, 2015, 12:06:06 PM
I watched the deferred coverage. I also watched the Clonmel Nemo game. The contrast in quality and styles was immense. The Ulster game had much more kick passing and was a more enjoyable game. Barry Cassidy was woeful. Scotstown got a lot of soft frees and there were a number of clean catches at midfield by Cross players who were tackled in a similar fashion to the Monaghan attackers but the free was given for over carrying. Cross lost there way when Hannratty came off and could have lost it. To come back in the fashion they did was testament to their spirit. Tony Kernan for me was by far the most outstanding player on the park. Morgan did well on Hughes and was unfairly penalised at times when Hughes was being cute, most refs give the benefit unfairly in my view to the forwards in these cases. All in all a good advertisement for Ulster football and hats off to Cross for never giving up.
You could barely see the Munster match with the rain on the cameras.

NAG1

Quote from: seafoid on November 30, 2015, 02:16:00 PM
I watched the deferred coverage. I also watched the Clonmel Nemo game. The contrast in quality and styles was immense. The Ulster game had much more kick passing and was a more enjoyable game. Barry Cassidy was woeful. Scotstown got a lot of soft frees and there were a number of clean catches at midfield by Cross players who were tackled in a similar fashion to the Monaghan attackers but the free was given for over carrying. Cross lost there way when Hannratty came off and could have lost it. To come back in the fashion they did was testament to their spirit. Tony Kernan for me was by far the most outstanding player on the park. Morgan did well on Hughes and was unfairly penalised at times when Hughes was being cute, most refs give the benefit unfairly in my view to the forwards in these cases. All in all a good advertisement for Ulster football and hats off to Cross for never giving up.

That was no bad thing, even with conditions as bad it was a woeful game.

Lucifer

Quote from: cccc on November 30, 2015, 02:01:06 PM
Quote from: Lucifer on November 30, 2015, 01:43:23 PM
To clarify the cards issue and extra time;

Old Rule - A team returns to 15 players in extra time but cards carry over.

New Rule - A team returns to 15 players in extra time but cards are wiped clean.

The original rule didn't make sense but I always felt the correct change to make was to allow cards to carry over but to change the ruling on teams returning to 15 players. In other words, let all cards from the 60 minutes carry over into extra time, including players sent off.

What then is the rule for noting/tickings from normal time to extra time, do they carry over or not ?

Clean slate for extra time.

Lucifer

Yes. New rules only came into effect this year pre inter county Championship.

Zulu

Quote from: NAG1 on November 30, 2015, 02:23:58 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 30, 2015, 02:16:00 PM

That was no bad thing, even with conditions as bad it was a woeful game.

First half was very good.

Throw ball

Cross have now won 7 Ulster titles in 10 years. The only teams beating them in championship football in that time in Ulster being Pearse Og Armagh in 2009 by 3 points, Kilcoo of Down in 2013 after a replay and 2 periods of extra time and Omagh of Tyrone last year by 2 points. None of the teams that beat them won Ulster. Although Cross people may not admit it the teams they fielded in 2013 and 2014 were not their strongest - Aaron Kernan was unable to start either game. Will the hoodoo they have over Armagh spread to Ulster.

twohands!!!

On the concussion thing, I was talking to a really connected rugby person and he was saying that the rugby authorities are absolutely petrified about the possibility of leaving themselves open to legal action down the road. He said that some of the main rugby schools in Ireland had been considering organising a medical study around the whole area of concussion on developing bodies and the potential damage it does but after talking to lawyers cancelled the study as the risks associated with the study returning negative effects were too high in terms of future injury payouts or having to change the game radically.

Even though the rates of concussion are lower in the GAA I'd really like to see Croke Park doing more to increase awareness, especially at underage level, given how much potential for damage their is to developing brains.

armaghniac

Quote from: Throw ball on December 01, 2015, 12:34:36 AM
Cross have now won 7 Ulster titles in 10 years. The only teams beating them in championship football in that time in Ulster being Pearse Og Armagh in 2009 by 3 points, Kilcoo of Down in 2013 after a replay and 2 periods of extra time and Omagh of Tyrone last year by 2 points. None of the teams that beat them won Ulster. Although Cross people may not admit it the teams they fielded in 2013 and 2014 were not their strongest - Aaron Kernan was unable to start either game. Will the hoodoo they have over Armagh spread to Ulster.

I think most people will accept that there were a lot missing against Kilcoo in 2013, although Cross didn't give in easily. In 2014 I think Cross let it slip, notwithstanding some missing players. I suppose the hope for Armagh and Ulster is that in 5 or 6 years time Aaron won't be playing, but the danger is that he will be managing!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

On the extra time ruling, I think it is fair in an amateur sport that teams return to 15 at the start of ET. This is especially true in a final where no replay is provided for. All teams know the rules and no one is disadvantaged. I also think that yellow cards are too easy to get in football and refs to quick to dish them out.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 01, 2015, 11:12:30 AM
On the extra time ruling, I think it is fair in an amateur sport that teams return to 15 at the start of ET. This is especially true in a final where no replay is provided for. All teams know the rules and no one is disadvantaged. I also think that yellow cards are too easy to get in football and refs to quick to dish them out.

I don't agree with the first part in bold.
IMO it was very unfair for cross to return to 15 after a sending off while Scotstown where not able to.I cant understand the logic of allowing team to go back to 15 at all.

I agree with your last sentence though. Cards have become far to easy to pick up for very innocuous things.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

cccc

Pull a jersey twice and you can expect to recieve a yellow card , thats the rules of the game...

JoG2

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 01, 2015, 11:52:33 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 01, 2015, 11:12:30 AM

I don't agree with the first part in bold.
IMO it was very unfair for cross to return to 15 after a sending off while Scotstown where not able to.I cant understand the logic of allowing team to go back to 15 at all.

I agree with your last sentence though. Cards have become far to easy to pick up for very innocuous things.

agree. You get anyone sent off, and the game is scheduled to go to extra time, you take your oil (rule obviously has to be in place to this effect). This 'new game' malarky, absolute nonsense imo. Will the history books tell of Cross and Scotstown playing twice in the Ulster Final in 2015? Cross drawing 1 and winning the other, Scotstown drawing 1 and losing the other

general_lee

Quote from: armaghniac on December 01, 2015, 01:23:01 AM
Quote from: Throw ball on December 01, 2015, 12:34:36 AM

I think most people will accept that there were a lot missing against Kilcoo in 2013, although Cross didn't give in easily. In 2014 I think Cross let it slip, notwithstanding some missing players. I suppose the hope for Armagh and Ulster is that in 5 or 6 years time Aaron won't be playing, but the danger is that he will be managing!
Cross won't be going anywhere anytime soon with or without AK.

Very strong minor team coming through I understand who are favs to win St Paul's. Unless the likes of Cullyhanna, Clann Éireann etc can transform their underage success into senior then I can't see there being any hope, not in Armagh anyway.