Hurling Championship 2017

Started by seafoid, May 19, 2017, 10:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on July 26, 2017, 03:51:10 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 26, 2017, 03:27:55 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 26, 2017, 03:26:31 PM
It look like he won't be hurling for Tipp again this year

Looks that way. Not a surprise. It might be better for TIpp in the long term too.
What's the story with him? I only know that he is a good hurler....

Not fair to be spreading hearsay and rumour on here, so I won't, but just say Mick Ryan felt he was not adhering to standards required. He's a brilliant, All Star calibre hurler, but Tipp have had others of that ilk who never really fulfilled their potential so for him to make this sort of decision might help Cathal and other Tipp players to understand that they need to look after themselves properly too.

seafoid

Pat Nolan‏ @pat_nolan · Jul 23 

For the first time in the history of the All-Ireland SHC, there will be no Leinster county in the last four. #GAA

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Richie Power on RTE is going for Tipp. The teams have played each other 13 times since 87 with Tipp winning 7 and Galway 6.

johnneycool

IMO Tipp haven't been at the same level as they were last year and even then they struggled for long enough to put Galway away until Tuohy and Canning went off the field, meaning Coen had to revert to defence when he was getting on a lot of ball in the middle of the field.
Galway have been reasonably comfortable to date and the questions will be whether they can raise their game up to a higher level on Sunday. I think they will as its Tipp they're facing and there will be no complacency from Galway when facing their old foes. They look a more rounded team with more forwards offering a scoring threat and some of their lads looked in better physical condition than they have in a while, Joseph Cooney the obvious example of this.
On the back of this Tipp have struggled to put away Clare who were within a few points down for most of the second half before Tipp kicked on, but they were coughing up goals and other goal chances that Clare failed to take. Galway will need to play as much of the game in the Tipp full back line as possible and be ruthless in going for goal with a new keeper, new fullback and the previous fullback who I rated highly now in the corner and not having a good year to date.

Power and Co are backing Tipp solely for the reason that they're the current AI champions and have a few more gears in them and that's fine, but they didn't find those gears when Cork were motoring through them and there's been little since to suggest those issues have been ironed out.

Roll on Sunday all the same, I think it'll be another good contest with the winners favourites to win the AI.

AZOffaly

The problem Tipp have with Galway is that they are phsyically very strong, and can hurl. Teams that are strong but can't hurl, Tipp can deal with them. Teams that can hurl, but are not strong, Tipp can deal with them. But a phsyically strong team, that can also hurl, is a very tough proposition.

Tipps problem traditionally, in games like that, is the belly for the fight when the game is in the melting pot. I think they showed a bit of what's needed against Clare, and they've become better at that. Also with the likes of Dan McCormack and Michael Breen they are a bit bigger themselves now. Tipp are no small team. Their hurling is top class when on form, but if they take a backward step from Galway they are done.

Galway's problems, if they have any, would be in the mental department. The ruthlessness to push on when the game was there for them. To be honest though, that was never really the case v Tipp, they are just 2 very well matched teams.

On the basis of form this year though, and the problems in the Tipp full back line (which were there even when Cathal Barrett was playing), you'd have to go for Galway.

macdanger2

Did Waterford appeal de Búrca's sending off?

Edit just saw this, seems to be ongoing

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0803/894918-de-buirca/

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 03, 2017, 09:27:23 AM
The problem Tipp have with Galway is that they are phsyically very strong, and can hurl. Teams that are strong but can't hurl, Tipp can deal with them. Teams that can hurl, but are not strong, Tipp can deal with them. But a phsyically strong team, that can also hurl, is a very tough proposition.

Tipps problem traditionally, in games like that, is the belly for the fight when the game is in the melting pot. I think they showed a bit of what's needed against Clare, and they've become better at that. Also with the likes of Dan McCormack and Michael Breen they are a bit bigger themselves now. Tipp are no small team. Their hurling is top class when on form, but if they take a backward step from Galway they are done.

Galway's problems, if they have any, would be in the mental department. The ruthlessness to push on when the game was there for them. To be honest though, that was never really the case v Tipp, they are just 2 very well matched teams.

On the basis of form this year though, and the problems in the Tipp full back line (which were there even when Cathal Barrett was playing), you'd have to go for Galway.
Galway don't really have cover if one of the backs gets injured. That would be a worry.

north_antrim_hound

Tipp have gone into the last to games v Galway with one eye on Kilkenny in the final
This year they know this is the biggest challenge they will face
As said before Galway are big lads and Tipp  prefer a low contact shoot out
They are lovely stickmen after all
If they are going to win then they have to reach their form last year
They haven't done it yet but could on Sunday
You would expect them to score 30 points + but how much will they concede
I feel they need an on form barret to get over the line
Bar another Galway head stagger which isn't beyond the realms either
Does everyone agree who ever wins this game has the all Ireland title in their grasp
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on August 03, 2017, 08:47:39 PM
Tipp have gone into the last to games v Galway with one eye on Kilkenny in the final
Does everyone agree who ever wins this game has the all Ireland title in their grasp
No
Cork have looked very impressive

clonadmad

The winners of this Sunday's game will win the all ireland.

Milltown Row2

If Cork win their game I'm backing them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cyril Farrell fan

Quote from: clonadmad on August 03, 2017, 10:36:12 PM
Except if it's Galway, where we always manage to mess it up after a big semi final win.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Cyril Farrell fan on August 04, 2017, 11:33:29 AM
Quote from: clonadmad on August 03, 2017, 10:36:12 PM
Except if it's Galway, where we always manage to mess it up after a big semi final win.

Agreed
Always thought if Tipp and Galway avoided each other to final then Tipp  would win
But Galway in a semi is a different animal
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

mouview

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on August 03, 2017, 08:47:39 PM

Galway have never beaten Cork in a final or Waterford at all in c'ship. This will weigh on their minds a bit if they get over Sunday. Both would fancy their chances v Galway and would be less afraid of them than Tipp, I think. However, I can't see either being a tougher test than Tipp', different maybe but not harder, and the Tribesmen would start favourites.

Tipp would be strong favourites v Waterford as I feel they just have too much firepower and the Deise not enough. Tipp V Cork would be real interesting; Tipp going for 2-in-a-row and keen to avenge the Munster defeat, where they really weren't that far off anyway. Cork like to style themselves as traditionalists and would be very eager to bridge a 12-year gap since the last win. I just don't think they're quite good enough yet though.

As for Sunday, trying to look at it from a neutral perspective. Galway have lost only once all year and MOD has quite smoothly done something that has been beyond many recent Galway managers, namely fielding a largely settled team. Their options off the bench are perhaps better than is credited, their defence has been solid so far, midfield is strong and any named 6 starting forwards can make and take their own scores. Some say they've beaten no-one yet, but the point is that they've moved up a gear on the couple of times it's been required of them, (in the second halves v Dublin and Wexford). However, on Sunday they'll be meeting a team that won't play a sweeper but probably go man-on-man. This may test Galway's defence a lot more as no team likes to be ran at, something Tipp are capable of doing. Also, we don't know how Galway are fixed injury-wise; (I personally think we're not hearing the full story here). Gratifyingly, we're no longer relying on JC for scores, (since, oh about 2012 or before).

Hard to call Tipp'. Obvious weaknesses in the FB line and a dilemma about who to put in goal. Galway's forwards have prospered under the high ball played in, but this would suit the 2 Mahers in the HB line, who nevertheless look vulnerable when turned and ran at. Midfield uncertain. Unlike Galway, not all Tipp forwards are seen as 'scoring'. McCormack and Bonner are good workhorses, even though I think the latter in particular is very overrated; can often be caught in possession and (like Cyril Donnellan) can't always be trusted to do the right thing with the ball. Noel McGrath is hugely skillful but is not the hardest to put off his game if marked as tightly as possible. FF line lethal though; all 3 capable of racking up large individual tallies, as seen by last year's final. One alone could nearly beat a team by themselves and it's unlikely in the extreme that all 3 will have a collective off-day. Galway's 2 corner-backs aren't (yet) regarded as world-class, Daithi will have to be every bit as good as he was in the past and the line in general must not be isolated by the HB line outside it; this would be a recipe for disaster and something I'm sure that has been taxing the minds of the Galway mgmt every day.

"There's something different about Galway this year" has become a cliche at this stage, but it may be a bit true also. They're more settled and also more assured, as if they're confident they can move up the gears if necessary. They will need to on Sunday however and it's the team's acid test. How much the earlier season ripples have affected Tipp is still unknown, but they've dealt capably enough with all opponents since the Cork game, even if Clare (and an ordinary Clare at that) shudda really stretched them more. Have the squad really gelled properly since Barrett was dispatched? Is there a rift between the players and Ryan over the latter's disinclination to restore Barrett to the panel? Factors also I feel.

Sunday is forecast to be wet at this remove. It could suit the purportedly-stronger Galway team, or it could be a great leveler. All the above would make Galway favourites but I think there's a kick yet in a proud Tipp team with the 2-in-a-row motivation. Draw?