Hurling Championship 2017

Started by seafoid, May 19, 2017, 10:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

del_carroll

Tipp starting to huff and puff a bit though, Clare not out of it yet... 3 points in it...

seafoid

Quote from: del_carroll on July 22, 2017, 04:21:40 PM
Tipp starting to huff and puff a bit though, Clare not out of it yet... 3 points in it...
Tipp only one ahead now
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kilkevan

After that it's well time that The Sunday Game panellists stop talking drivel about how good this year's championship is. The quality is scant this year if you ignore Cork who have brought something to the summer. Surely the All Ireland will between Cork and Galway who are the only teams capable of delivering fireworks in the finale, and at that Galway need to step it up because apart from the league final they've done nothing of note.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 22, 2017, 04:38:18 PM
After that it's well time that The Sunday Game panellists stop talking drivel about how good this year's championship is. The quality is scant this year if you ignore Cork who have brought something to the summer. Surely the All Ireland will between Cork and Galway who are the only teams capable of delivering fireworks in the finale, and at that Galway need to step it up because apart from the league final they've done nothing of note.
except win the Leinster championship?

Kilkevan

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 22, 2017, 05:37:47 PM
except win the Leinster championship?

Ah, the much sought after Leinster championship  :o! Brilliant  ???! And with a nonexistent Kilkenny team, superlative  ::)!

Galway haven't set the world alight since the league final and will have nothing but regrets if they don't lift themselves at least to league final form for the semis and potentially the final as it is theirs to lose (though Cork might have something to say about that). The Bob O'Keefe Cup isn't going to warm the cockles of any followers of the Tribe this winter if they don't go and add Liam to it.

seafoid

It''s not Galway's fault that Kilkenny were shite this year.

Kilkevan

Quote from: seafoid on July 22, 2017, 05:57:51 PM

Lol show me where I said it was. You have Kilkenny on the brain.

seafoid

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 22, 2017, 06:01:22 PM

I am sup posed to have Tyrone on the brain. Galway played the Dubs and Wexford this year. I wold have like a Leinster final with KK to see how good Galway are but it was not to be. I expect them to up the level in Aigust.

Kilkevan

Quote from: seafoid on July 22, 2017, 07:32:31 PM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 22, 2017, 06:01:22 PM

I am sup posed to have Tyrone on the brain. Galway played the Dubs and Wexford this year. I wold have like a Leinster final with KK to see how good Galway are but it was not to be. I expect them to up the level in Aigust.

Playing Kilkenny would have taught Galway nothing and would have displayed nothing to their fans. Kilkenny are pure muck at the moment. The only reason they got back into the game against Waterford was because Waterford had a bad dose of dysentery in the last ten minutes because they have gone through the mill against Kilkenny so many times over the years.

Galway weren't great against Dublin, by all accounts were poor against Offaly and weren't brilliant against Wexford. They haven't needed to be though and I think they've gone through the motions in second gear in those three matches, stepping it up for ten minutes or so if they've needed to, in order to be primed for August. I expect them to be firing in the semi but they need to be careful they don't fail to turn up like they have in the past as it really should be a Cork - Galway final going by what we've seen this year.

That, in terms of quality, it has been a poor year is something I stand by though. Kilkenny were woeful, Tipperary are not properly at the races, Clare, Limerick and Dublin were mediocre at best and added nothing to the championship. Cork have been exciting, the potential is there with Galway particularly if they can raise themselves up to, and I think over if they want to beat Cork, the league final performance. Other than Cork, the big news stories have been Wexford and Waterford but neither are especially good. Both barely got over the line against arguably the worst Kilkenny team in living memory whereas, this summer, Cork or Galway would likely have massacred the Cats. If I was a Yellowbelly or a Blaa I'd be concerned about my team's performance against the black and amber rather than elated by it. So yes, other than Cork, and at this stage excluding Galway because despite the potential they haven't shown their true hand yet in this championship, the quality has been poor this year. If Cork and Galway both perform in August there could be a cracking All Ireland in the waiting, if one of them slips up the final is likely to be lopsided and if both of them fall then the first Sunday in September is unlikely to be a memorable day for hurling purists.

seafoid

I agree about the quality. KK and Tipp are off the boil. The Déise are average. Wexford and Limerick are lacking in quality as are the Dubs.

Kilkevan

Quote from: seafoid on July 22, 2017, 08:05:28 PM
I agree about the quality. KK and Tipp are off the boil. The Déise are average. Wexford and Limerick are lacking in quality as are the Dubs.

The last year where the championship was wide open, 2013, was a much better championship in terms of quality. Clare, obviously as they won the All Ireland, were very good. Cork were strong. The Dubs had their best season in decades and the scoreline in their AI semi was unflattering to them. Limerick had a good summer but probably didn't ride the gap between the Munster final and the AI semi too well. The qualifiers produced some good battles whereas this year they were more of a damp squib. As I said, Kilkenny only came back into it against Waterford because of the state the Deise made of their underpants. Even Offaly pushed Kilkenny and Waterford to a certain extent in 2013. The only really memorable match this year was Cork - Tipp and I suspect Cork are a good bit further on than they were at that stage. This year isn't going to go down as vintage anyway but if the All Ireland isn't a Cork - Galway affair with those two producing fireworks, then it's going to be a year that's quickly forgotten.

Minder

Does semi final games depend on tomorrow's result ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Quote from: Minder on July 22, 2017, 10:49:25 PM

Yes. If Wexford win, Tipp will play Galway. If Waterford win, there will be a draw as both have played Cork.

mouview

Why are you picking on Galway as blame for a poor c'ship? They've only lost 1 competitive game all year and won their last 5 or so by an average of over 10 points. When KK were doing that everyone was drooling about them. You have Galway on the brain I think.

Kilkevan

Quote from: Minder on July 22, 2017, 10:49:25 PM

Yes. If Wexford win then they can't play Galway and Tipperary can't play Cork so the semis would be Galway v Tipperary and Cork v Wexford. However, if Waterford were to win then they can't play Cork either so the rule about not meeting a team twice before the All Ireland would have to go out of the window and it'd be a draw to see which provincial winner played which quarter final winner.