Hurling Championship 2017

Started by seafoid, May 19, 2017, 10:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilkevan

Carlow 1-8 Laois 0-9 half time, Laois down to 14 men.

Kilkevan

Laois 2-14 Carlow 1-16, full time. According to the KCLR commentary, Carlow had it there for the taking but threw it away.

clonadmad

Hurling qualifier pots complete. Limerick,Tipp,Waterford & Laois in one pot. Westmeath,Offaly,Kilkenny & Dublin in other pot. Draw tomorrow at 8:35am

Laois and Westmeath can't be drawn against each other

Kilkevan

Quote from: clonadmad on June 25, 2017, 05:16:37 PM
Hurling qualifier pots complete. Limerick,Tipp,Waterford & Laois in one pot. Westmeath,Offaly,Kilkenny & Dublin in other pot. Draw tomorrow at 8:35am

Laois and Westmeath can't be drawn against each other

I put the teams and their pots into a tool I have for deciding cup fixtures and this is what came out (home team first):

Waterford v Dublin
Westmeath v Limerick
Kilkenny v Laois
Tipperary v Offaly

What I noticed was there is a strong possibility of four one-sided matches coming out.

AZOffaly

Jesus I hope not Tipp and Offaly.  They played a challenge match before Offaly played Galway and Tipp scored 8 22.

Rossie11

Dublin v Laois

Kilkenny v Limerick

Offaly v Waterford

Tipperary v Westmeath

laoislad

Quote from: Rossie11 on June 26, 2017, 08:46:26 AM
Dublin v Laois

Kilkenny v Limerick

Offaly v Waterford

Tipperary v Westmeath
Fix!!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Kilkevan

Best draw Kilkenny could have hoped for. Waterford or Tipperary could easily put them out altogether and they'd be unlikely to learn anything from Laois. Limerick whilst being unexpected to beat Kilkenny, especially at Nowlan Park, will surely give them a good rattle and from that you can learn more about where you are.

AZOffaly

Tipp will be happy with that, but it's probably going to make for a dinger of a second round. Tipperary, Kilkenny (although I wouldn't write off Limerick if Kilkenny are not at it), Dublin/Laois and Waterford would make for some tasty games.

Milltown Row2

Not the worst draw, Kilkenny wont get it all their own way, Dubs should just have enough to beat Laois, but Laois should be on a high after winning at the weekend and the extra game will have done them no harm...

Tipp will win by as many as they want and Waterford shouldn't have too many problems v Offaly, even with it being an away fixture, Offaly do the odd shock every now and again but have just lost all confidence in themselves of late

is a re draw again after that for the next round?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 26, 2017, 10:41:31 AM
Tipp will be happy with that, but it's probably going to make for a dinger of a second round. Tipperary, Kilkenny (although I wouldn't write off Limerick if Kilkenny are not at it), Dublin/Laois and Waterford would make for some tasty games.

Laois will fancy a rattle at the Dubs I'd have thought and if that's in Parnell the tighter confines might suit Laois better than Dublin, this one might be a bit closer than a lot of people might think, although Laois did seem to make hard work of Carlow although they were a man down for a good bit of it. They'll need to raise their game bit Dublin are no big shakes either.

Limerick are a strange crowd and maybe after reading a few articles (in TJ Ryan's tenure in all fairness) about this high tech backroom team with all the bells and whistles, they've maybe lost sight that you still need to go out and play the game in front of you. Seamus Hickey's head seems to have returned to planet earth and had a good game in the loss to Clare and they're a big, physical unit, especially a lot of their young forwards and need to get about Kilkenny like the Wexford lads did. Kilkenny will want a good start and in Nowlan park where the fans are fattened on victories if Limerick can upset that I can see the crowd get on the back of the Kilkenny players whose confidence can only be but fragile. Big games are needed from Richie Hogan, Paul Murphy, TJ Reid and Colin Fennelly to steady the ship.
Still think we'll see Kilkenny survive, but you'd hope Limerick open up the shoulders and go for it.

Hard to see anything other than Tipp and Waterford wins in the other two.
Westmeath will come up well short (as will most teams when Tipp get going) and they deserve to be there but we'll end up with the normal conundrum of how do the likes of Westmeath, Laois, Carlow, Antrim and even Offaly close that gap on the bigger counties when the resources are much less. Dublin kinda got themselves in the mix, but even they're struggling to maintain the work required at underage that needs to be sustained to properly develop.

AZOffaly

There's a fabulous new development in Kilcormac for Offaly teams now. Faithful Fields it's called. In and of itself it's not going to make Offaly better, but it will help a lot. There are footballers and hurlers in Offaly, but we are not prepared well, are not focussed, and are not able to afford big name managers. It's going to take time, and it's going to take a lot of hard work.

Kilkevan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 26, 2017, 11:01:37 AM
Not the worst draw, Kilkenny wont get it all their own way, Dubs should just have enough to beat Laois, but Laois should be on a high after winning at the weekend and the extra game will have done them no harm...

Tipp will win by as many as they want and Waterford shouldn't have too many problems v Offaly, even with it being an away fixture, Offaly do the odd shock every now and again but have just lost all confidence in themselves of late

is a re draw again after that for the next round?

Yes, it's a redraw for the next round. I think it's an open draw too, unless by a miracle both Laois and Westmeath get through. There almost certainly will be a clash of the big guns in the second phase - Kilkenny/Waterford/Tipperary v Waterford/Tipperary/Kilkenny.

Quote from: johnneycool on June 26, 2017, 11:01:37 AM

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 26, 2017, 11:01:37 AM

Laois will fancy a rattle at the Dubs I'd have thought and if that's in Parnell the tighter confines might suit Laois better than Dublin, this one might be a bit closer than a lot of people might think, although Laois did seem to make hard work of Carlow although they were a man down for a good bit of it. They'll need to raise their game bit Dublin are no big shakes either.

Limerick are a strange crowd and maybe after reading a few articles (in TJ Ryan's tenure in all fairness) about this high tech backroom team with all the bells and whistles, they've maybe lost sight that you still need to go out and play the game in front of you. Seamus Hickey's head seems to have returned to planet earth and had a good game in the loss to Clare and they're a big, physical unit, especially a lot of their young forwards and need to get about Kilkenny like the Wexford lads did. Kilkenny will want a good start and in Nowlan park where the fans are fattened on victories if Limerick can upset that I can see the crowd get on the back of the Kilkenny players whose confidence can only be but fragile. Big games are needed from Richie Hogan, Paul Murphy, TJ Reid and Colin Fennelly to steady the ship.
Still think we'll see Kilkenny survive, but you'd hope Limerick open up the shoulders and go for it.

Westmeath will come up well short (as will most teams when Tipp get going) and they deserve to be there but we'll end up with the normal conundrum of how do the likes of Westmeath, Laois, Carlow, Antrim and even Offaly close that gap on the bigger counties when the resources are much less. Dublin kinda got themselves in the mix, but even they're struggling to maintain the work required at underage that needs to be sustained to properly develop.

Quote from: johnneycool on June 26, 2017, 11:14:41 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 26, 2017, 10:41:31 AM

Limerick can beat Kilkenny. No doubt about that. I think it being in Nowlan Park will mean it's almost beyond their reach, I'd have given them a much better chance at home, but Kilkenny are not motoring and if Limerick put it up to them until close to the end I think the players that are there now could find it too much.

GalwayBayBoy

After all the hype the draw turned out to be a right anti-climax in the end. KK v Limerick the only half interesting tie. Just about. Although the next round can't help but have at least two big guns against each other now.

laoislad

So Laois hurling and football senior teams playing on Saturday and they decide to play the games in different venues.
f**king joke.
Sure it would make too much sense to play both in Portlaoise.
Muppets.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.