All Ireland u21 football championship 2015

Started by giveballaghback, February 16, 2015, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

It's not just Tyrone who go on with this kind of sh*te, plenty of counties do it. For me, it's unsporting and not part of the game, any type of goading or being in someone's ear for the whole game.

sligoman

Quote from: Syferus on May 09, 2015, 12:35:56 AM
Quote from: Rodman on May 08, 2015, 11:33:33 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 08, 2015, 10:00:34 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 07, 2015, 07:37:38 PM
Have to say. We all love the under dog! When Meath beat Louth in the 2010 Leinster final we all felt for them. If the shoe was on the other foot. We'd have said wasn't it a good one Louth winning that way. Same rules would have applied if Tipperary had done a Tyrone to Tyrone. We'd all say they did the right thing to close out the game. But it's different when the so called traditional county achieves their goals by adverse means.

In fairness Bunker you're warping the issue most have. Lots of teams close out games by trying to shut up shop but lots of teams don't knee players in head, elbow them in the face or throw them at goal-posts. Tipp were guilty of a stamp in the final but Tyrone's rap sheet this year extends far beyond that and anyone who's trying to isolate the final without the context of the whole campaign is missing the bigger picture. I think this topic is more about player safety than it is about tactics.

Catch yourself on.  All teams are at it and always have been. Tyrone are no different to any other team. Have you never seen Kerrys golden years - the best footballing team ever and each one of them would have taken your life given half a chance.
And your silence to Sligomans posts directed at you about the Roscommon thugs of yesteryear speaks volumes.

Some you Tyrone lads are fairly desperate to deflect from this topic if you're clinging onto the words of an alt account made for the express purpose of responding to a single user's posts to validate your point-of-view.

I'm not an alternative account, I have been there first hand throughout the intercounty careers of Grehan, Dolan, Curran and O'Neill - four of your best players who backboned your team for a good 10 years and every one of them behaved like vermin on the pitch, without doubt you were the most hated team in Connacht during that period - for good reason and not because you were successful either.

Ask any of the Connacht lads here, outside Roscommon and I'd say the have plenty of incidents involving these lads that would rankle with them - maybe it might be more of an issue with Sligo or Leitrim lads as we didn't have great success in those times but they were loathsome players. You don't want to acknowledge your shame, fair enough. Don't come on here playing the victim card though when your guys had no issue at all dishing it out through the years.

brokencrossbar1

I recall playing in a Feile Semi final in 1988/89 and the abuse we received from 'good' Galway folk around Headford was not normal. The crew from Mayo that we played were great too. f**k off back north ye black bastards. Have you any sisters? Shit like that and it was coming from managers nevermind players. It's been happening for years. It's wrong and I agree that if caught players should be censured but when it was happening to us as 13/14 year olds 25 years ago what joke is there?

Fuzzman

If I was to compare the Ulster championship with Leinster with a foreigner who never saw the game how would he view them both. In the last 4 or 5 years I've went to quite a few Leinster games and maybe with the exception of Meath v Dubs, all of the rest tend to be very open SOFT football where the underdog knows their place and plays accordingly. Every year they give up home advantage so that they can play in Croker and have no issues with tickets. One of the great things I love about GAA matches is when you go to the away venue and its like a big friendly party.

In Ulster, maybe because of the troubles and what older lads had to go through to get to matches because of the forces etc. but the underdog does anything but lie down and roll over. No disrespect but even a match with Antrim or Fermanagh as Tyrone and Armagh found out at times get up into your faces and fight to win. They lack respect for the so called favourites and put up a big challenge.
Personally I think this is why southerners see Ulster as being different and dirty and cynical.
Hiw we play the game seems to develop more from the North and Kerry and Dublin have copied a lot of tactics and training methods from there.
Dublin would openly admit they had a good look at Tyrone's structures and copied them and improved on them. I sat next to Jim McGuinness at a wedding the year before he got the Donegal job and he talked the whole reception about Mickey Harte and how he changed our beliefs and way we play and told me how he was gonna to the same thing and build on that to another new level.

Therefore to me the game has changed a lot since the noughties and it has become much more tactical and less attractive to watch as many teams have saw the benefits of abandoning the exciting 1v1 man marking to the more flooding your defence with sweepers etc to counteract the influence of outstanding forwards like Gooch etc. It was inevitable this was going to happen in my eyes and I feel very privileged to have seen my own county win AI titles with Canavan and ONeill.

I do envy Dublin's current style of football as I used to take great pride Tyrone playing that way but alas we have just won an U21 title playing a different way.
Yes I wish we didn't do the whole sledging thing as I don't believe its that effective but still looks bad. A bit like fans booing free kicks to put them off. I think this is a much more successful way to stop the other team scoring. Look at Morgan v Donegal the last few years. Donegal have copied the booing free takers from the Dubs and as usual not a word is said about it.
Like the whole Croke park home advantage which they play down, they also play down the booing.
If you're team is a point down in Croker v the Dubs and there is a tough enough angle free in front of the hill. Do you think it's fair enough that 60k dubs boo and jeer to put you off?
Yet just one lad telling you something private about your family is worse and will cause you to miss the shit. I know which I would prefer.

When watching the Donegal v Tyrone game next weekend see can you pick up the hostile atmosphere?

Fuzzman

Yeah the whole British angle of sledging really disappointed me too. Very bad form. Would love to see a good sports writer do a balanced article on it all.

Kids and wife just gone off for the day.
I must watch this Roscommon game as it sounds a cracker.
TG4 player here I come.

Fuzzman

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 09, 2015, 11:07:29 AM
Yeah the whole British angle of sledging really disappointed me too. Very bad form. Would love to see a good sports writer do a balanced article on it all.

Kids and wife just gone off for the day.
I must watch this Roscommon game as it sounds a cracker.
TG4 player here I come.

Great idea Fuzz, and I'm wondering if Roscommon are going to score here at all, such is our superiority in the opening stages! :) ;)

Ros vs Tyr
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

giveballaghback

Cake, Dolan, O Neill, Grehan, four of the best and cleanest players ever to play for Roscommon, never saw any of them hit a dirty stroke or complain to the ref, as for Sligo in 2010 well they were a joke, fouled all day, had not a clue, played like sligo rovers are playing at the moment, born losers as they always are, but sligo people are not biased in any way and can take their defeats, god knows they are well used to it like ourselves, and they always comment objectively and would not have any issues with any individual county.
Now wheres me old moores almanac.

rrhf

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 09, 2015, 10:43:52 AM
I recall playing in a Feile Semi final in 1988/89 and the abuse we received from 'good' Galway folk around Headford was not normal. The crew from Mayo that we played were great too. f**k off back north ye black b**tards. Have you any sisters? Shit like that and it was coming from managers nevermind players. It's been happening for years. It's wrong and I agree that if caught players should be censured but when it was happening to us as 13/14 year olds 25 years ago what joke is there?
This is true and was the case. It was savage.  the worst incident I ever heard of was between 2 successful counties in the late 80s.  It was vile and I have only heard of one incident that came close to it since. The most public was the dubs v laois and the scoreboard. That's when we realised that sledging was a serious problem. Indiana can you shed more light on this incident.

sligoman

Quote from: giveballaghback on May 09, 2015, 03:56:00 PM
Cake, Dolan, O Neill, Grehan, four of the best and cleanest players ever to play for Roscommon, never saw any of them hit a dirty stroke or complain to the ref, as for Sligo in 2010 well they were a joke, fouled all day, had not a clue, played like sligo rovers are playing at the moment, born losers as they always are, but sligo people are not biased in any way and can take their defeats, god knows they are well used to it like ourselves, and they always comment objectively and would not have any issues with any individual county.
Now wheres me old moores almanac.

Just pointing out Roscommon are in no position to be giving out about the way other team's conduct their affairs given some of the players and tactics they've employed in their recent history.

Fuzzman

Does anyone know what criteria the CCCC use to decide whether to suspend a player based on TV evidence.
It it solely depended on the Sunday game or why isn't young OBrien being hauled up for a hearing for his incident last Saturday?
Is it as watery as ah sure its all over now and sure what does it matter?
Are there clear policies in place for reviewing incidents or just when the notion takes them based on media coverage?

tiempo

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 09, 2015, 07:12:52 PM
Does anyone know what criteria the CCCC use to decide whether to suspend a player based on TV evidence.
It it solely depended on the Sunday game or why isn't young OBrien being hauled up for a hearing for his incident last Saturday?
Are there clear policies in place for reviewing incidents or just when the notion takes them based on media coverage?

Clear politics. All teams are equal, but some teams are more equal than others. I would like to see a list of all senior inter county retrospective suspensions since the CCCCCCCCCs inception.

INDIANA

Quote from: tiempo on May 09, 2015, 08:01:38 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 09, 2015, 07:12:52 PM

Clear politics. All teams are equal, but some teams are more equal than others. I would like to see a list of all senior inter county retrospective suspensions since the CCCCCCCCCs inception.

Ah poor ould Tyrone. Always the victim eh lads. The propaganda machine North Korean dictators would be proud of.