All Ireland u21 football championship 2015

Started by giveballaghback, February 16, 2015, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

I've no doubt you can imtommygun, and hat fully raised to you for that a chara! ;)

We'll see how the management of the Seniors unfolds, though suffice it to say that Fergal Logan won't shy away from any D4-ensconced media moguls. :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BennyHarp

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 03, 2015, 05:55:13 PM
quite a lot of people really. Personally i found it embarassing listening to the nonsense about southern media not even knowing the names of players. It was like he'd been watching alex ferguson or jose mourinho not a gaa interview. There wasn't much sense of rationale behind it.

What does it matter as he won the ai but it's cringeworthy stuff.

He was asked after the semi final about being written off by sections of the media and he replied by referencing a paid journalist who named many of the Roscommon team but only name checked Peter Canavan and Brian Dooher on the Tyrone team. I think his rationale was more about paid journalists previewing games in national newspapers without doing any form of research on one of the two teams he is supposed to be writing about. As far as I remember the interview quoted was for teamtalkmag which is a Tyrone media source so he was possibly a little less guarded than usual and was getting the point across that he used this to fire up the team. Is this really that embarrassing? Feck me, you must never leave the house without a big red head on you if you get embarrassed that easily!
That was never a square ball!!

imtommygunn

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 03, 2015, 06:29:26 PM
I've no doubt you can imtommygun, and hat fully raised to you for that a chara! ;)

We'll see how the management of the Seniors unfolds, though suffice it to say that Fergal Logan won't shy away from any D4-ensconced media moguls. :)

Haha oh we have people who make eejits of themselves in the media too. Thankfully it's mostly those who are not involved but they can also be embarassing so you're not alone in the media embarassment front;D i suspect winning makes it easier to accept though hence your stance  ;)

Syferus

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 03, 2015, 06:30:32 PM
quite a lot of people really. Personally i found it embarassing listening to the nonsense about southern media not even knowing the names of players. It was like he'd been watching alex ferguson or jose mourinho not a gaa interview. There wasn't much sense of rationale behind it.

He was asked after the semi final about being written off by sections of the media and he replied by referencing a paid journalist who named many of the Roscommon team but only name checked Peter Canavan and Brian Dooher on the Tyrone team. I think his rationale was more about paid journalists previewing games in national newspapers without doing any form of research on one of the two teams he is supposed to be writing about. As far as I remember the interview quoted was for teamtalkmag which is a Tyrone media source so he was possibly a little less guarded than usual and was getting the point across that he used this to fire up the team. Is this really that embarrassing? Feck me, you must never leave the house without a big red head on you if you get embarrassed that easily!

That Roscommon team with Cathal Daly, Cathal Compton, Ultan Harvey and Enda Smyth is full of household names though. Never been the same since Donie Shannon became overage, though.  :o

The media haven't a clue about the players in any county bar the big three or four.

muppet

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 03, 2015, 03:14:42 PM
Quote from: giveballaghback on May 03, 2015, 02:50:21 PM
So a 30 minute debate on national radio about a championship that has hardly been mentioned up to this point has just taken place on rte sport, what are they talking about? the great game of football, sadly no, a debate on the sad state our great game is in thanks to the training and condoning of cynical tactics, now every contact sport will have so called hard and dirty players but the laws of the game are there to punish them but when it is coached and becomes a part of any teams systems then it is impossible for any official to control hence the current mayhem about the state and standard of our games, so I stand by my post last evening, cheating or coached cheating is now part and parcel of our games, take a bow all involved and shame on counties like Kerry who have copied these tactics, the Kerrys etc should know better, who are etc. well ye know who ye are  and I am glad to say no Connacht county is in that category.

You must be on the wind up with that last comment?  ;D There was plenty of good in that game yesterday to focus on but the national broadcaster once again chose to focus on a few minor incidents which took place by BOTH teams. (I know you'd appreciate my use of capitals)

His post had 180 words, with one question mark and no full stops. Even Eddie Moroney stopped for some TK lemonade.

Congrats to Tyrone and hard luck to Tipp.
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 03, 2015, 06:36:08 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 03, 2015, 06:29:26 PM

Haha oh we have people who make eejits of themselves in the media too. Thankfully it's mostly those who are not involved but they can also be embarassing so you're not alone in the media embarassment front;D i suspect winning makes it easier to accept though hence your stance  ;)

Yep, all sweet and delightful today, where even the dimmest of keyboard warriors won't dim the shine - boy, have I strutted these streets today. Bragging rights is the proper term I believe :D ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

imtommygunn

Haha. Well be happy then fosb. I don't begrudge you anything btw and your keyboard warrior point does show some irony when you thinly veil your insults but if you're not dim like the rest of us you will already have worked that out ;) Best of luck in c'ship.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on May 03, 2015, 06:43:24 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 03, 2015, 06:30:32 PM

That Roscommn team with Cathal Daly, Cathal Compton, Ultan Harvey and Enda Smyth is full of household names though. Never been the same since Donie Shannon became overage, though.  :o

The media haven't a clue about the players in any county bar the big three or four.

Feck the media don't have a clue about most senior teams, bar the high profile ones. Understandable, given the lack of coverage of Division 3 and 4 teams in the League and the Championship. Most make their predictions based on tradition and to be fair it is often a fail safe method when it comes to the GAA. Then there is the favourite stereotypes which are churned out when they happen and ignored when they don't. Examples of this Tyrone are cynical. Meath are never beaten. Mayo don't have forwards. Kerry are never cynical. Galway play nice football. Eugene McGee springs to mind!

ONeill

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 03, 2015, 05:33:15 PM
Quote from: rrhf on May 03, 2015, 05:30:54 PM
You don't know feargal logan.   He will teach you boys sportsmanship. An absolute gentleman.

I don't know the man but some of his rants are a bit embarassing.

"Some" and "rants" needs meat on the bones here. How many are some and what is a rant?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tippabu

After seeing the highlights there on Rte I didn't see a whole lot wrong with the tipp goal but a goalie will get a free out in that situation 10 out of 10 times.

A genuine question and this isn't me moaning just curious. What actually does warrant a free being taken away from a team and a throw ball given? Can some explain to me why the ref would have been right to allow Tyrone keep the free right at the end of the game. As I say don't that this as me giving out about it just wondering is all. Thanks

Also it was never a free out in the first place, Tyrone player put his head down and drove into the tipp lads.

BennyHarp

Quote from: tippabu on May 03, 2015, 08:18:28 PM
After seeing the highlights there on Rte I didn't see a whole lot wrong with the tipp goal but a goalie will get a free out in that situation 10 out of 10 times.

A genuine question and this isn't me moaning just curious. What actually does warrant a free being taken away from a team and a throw ball given? Can some explain to me why the ref would have been right to allow Tyrone keep the free right at the end of the game. As I say don't that this as me giving out about it just wondering is all. Thanks

Also it was never a free out in the first place, Tyrone player put his head down and drove into the tipp lads.

Look, Tippabu, I could sit here all night and complain about referee decisions that have cost Tyrone big games over the years. Paddy Russell's brain farts in the 1995 AI final, Meaths assault in 1996, Canavan and O'Neill getting the line in 2005 Ulster Final etc etc. Every team have had reasons to moan about refs over the years. You can either accept that these things happen and learn from it and move on, ensuring next time you are too far ahead for the ref to have an impact or spend the next 10 years moaning about it and standing still. (like Armagh since 2003  ;)) One of these days these decisions will go for you and you will take it and run because that's the way things work.

Ive been reading quotes from your u21 manager tonight and to be honest, a fella with an attitude like that, blaming everyone else publicly for his team's loss, will never take you to the next level. You have a good set of players, a lot of them underage next year, go away, get someone sensible on board and ensure there is plenty of room for referee error next year.

tippabu

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 03, 2015, 08:35:32 PM
Quote from: tippabu on May 03, 2015, 08:18:28 PM

Look, Tippabu, I could sit here all night and complain about referee decisions that have cost Tyrone big games over the years. Paddy Russell's brain farts in the 1995 AI final, Meaths assault in 1996, Canavan and O'Neill getting the line in 2005 Ulster Final etc etc. Every team have had reasons to moan about refs over the years. You can either accept that these things happen and learn from it and move on, ensuring next time you are too far ahead for the ref to have an impact or spend the next 10 years moaning about it and standing still. (like Armagh since 2003  ;)) One of these days these decisions will go for you and you will take it and run because that's the way things work.

Ive been reading quotes from your u21 manager tonight and to be honest, a fella with an attitude like that, blaming everyone else publicly for his team's loss, will never take you to the next level. You have a good set of players, a lot of them underage next year, go away, get someone sensible on board and ensure there is no room for error next year.

I accept that decisions went equally against both teams, I'm not having a moan just asking the question is all and wondering what yer views on it are.

AZOffaly

Where's those quotes Benny? I'm surprised if Tommy is going over the top. He hasn't been like that before, and his comments before the final were very level headed as well I thought.

I haven't spoken to any of them yet, so maybe there's something annoying them that wasn't apparent last night. Or maybe they are deliberately trying to set the scene of 'us against the world' or something for this years seniors, a lot of whom are U21s.

Either way, there's good lads in charge of these teams in Tipp at the moment.

BennyHarp

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 03, 2015, 08:40:03 PM
Where's those quotes Benny? I'm surprised if Tommy is going over the top. He hasn't been like that before, and his comments before the final were very level headed as well I thought.

I haven't spoken to any of them yet, so maybe there's something annoying them that wasn't apparent last night. Or maybe they are deliberately trying to set the scene of 'us against the world' or something for this years seniors, a lot of whom are U21s.

Either way, there's good lads in charge of these teams in Tipp at the moment.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=236545

Tipperary manager Toomy Toomey hit out at Tyrone's tactics and the performance of referee Fergal Kelly following his side's heartbreaking All-Ireland U21FC final loss last night.

Tipp's quest for a first title in the grade fell agonisingly short in the Parnell Park mud and in an interview with RTE afterwards, Toomey was particularly sore over the decision to give Tyrone a free out instead of reversing it after Michael Cassidy was shown a second yellow card in the dying moments.

"Of course we're hurt, we've just lost an All-Ireland final," he said.

"But we'll come back out of it, I've no doubt we will. I congratulate Tyrone on their win.

"Looking at a few bits and pieces from the end of the game and maybe we could have got  a draw. But that's the referee's decision and that's how the game is played but how you measure that, I don't know.

"The referee will have to offer an explanation but they don't do they? Retaliation or whatever was done on the player after the whistle is blown, the referee usually throws up the ball but in this case he didn't."

Commenting on the controversial tactics employed by the Red Hands, Toomey added: "All along in front of us, I saw our players being hit and pushed and dragged. That to me is a different way to play football than we would.

"I shook Fergal's [Logan] hand on the field of play, just there and I waited for him when his players were coming into the dressing room late and we were leaving. We didn't want an incident and it was as simple as that, we left.

"That's the way they play but look you're not going to force me to make any sort of explanation on this. What I see is what I see on the field of play and everyone else sees it as well.

"That's all I'm saying about it. At the end of the game, in the the last 10 minutes, Tyrone are experts at winding the clock down, at goading people and that's my opinion and I'll stick to that."