Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Surprised there wasn't more discussion of the refereeing performance on TSG. Thought Deegan gave a litany of poor decisions pretty much all throughout the game. Bad for both sides although Tyrone probably got the worst of it.

imtommygunn

O'shea put the knees into the man too. That sequence of events was a poor show from him.

Mayo just too good. In a much tighter game horan would need to make a few calls quicker. Moran should have been long gone and conroy, who to me has always looked a nightmare to mark, been on from not much after half time. Probably would have killed the game quicker too.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Zulu on August 25, 2013, 11:50:44 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 25, 2013, 11:31:36 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 25, 2013, 11:29:50 PM
Not even related to a penalty. You don't know what a foot block is if you think it was a free.
You don't know what a free is if you think that was a legitimate block.

I clearly do but you don't. It isn't even a debate though you've yourself convinced something happened which didn't.

5.22 To block or attempt to block with the boot when an opponent is kicking the ball from the hand(s).

That's the actual rule - did the player block or attempt to block with his foot? How on earth can you say he didn't?

There's no mention of endangering the kicker or any distances from the kicker or no mention of Zulu's honest opinion in the rule book either as far as I can see.
That was never a square ball!!

Bensars

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 25, 2013, 11:48:55 PM
Quote from: Bensars on August 25, 2013, 11:44:35 PM
O Shea went down holding his face - when in fact , no contact was made near his face

It can be buttered any way you like but it was blatant cheating !

What about Pascal hitting a man down? (simulating or for real).

What game you watching ? O Shea down ?

He's no shrinking violet.

O Connell went at him after the incident. Caught him between waist and shoulders and O Shea went down with both hands on face!

Cheat. Simulation. And not a word from the analyists that have every angle despite the slow motion replays

You can butter it whatever you want but O'Shea is a cheat !

babarino

Quote from: Syferus on August 25, 2013, 11:50:55 PM
Quote from: babarino on August 25, 2013, 11:46:37 PM
Enjoyable game for a neutral today.

Aspects of Tyrone's game aren't appealing, but the prospect of Enda Kenny jumping on a Sam Maguire winning bandwagon doesn't appeal much either.

In raw footballing terms, hats off to Mayo, who got a good test, even if the result was clear 15 minutes out.

Losing Peter Harte was a blow. Gormley was putting himself about, McGinley was up for it.

If you look at the slow mo you'll see it wasn't a foot block - ball hit his upper shin. Don't envy the task of a ref in today's game, but generally Deegan had a 'fair' game.

Hopefully Sam will head due west. Well deserved.

You do know the lad is a true gael and was the secretary (iirc) of his local local, right? He could hardly be accused of band-wagoning on this one.

Relaxez-vous. Just being facetious. Do I have to use smileys?

Syferus

Quote from: babarino on August 25, 2013, 11:56:50 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 25, 2013, 11:50:55 PM
Quote from: babarino on August 25, 2013, 11:46:37 PM
Enjoyable game for a neutral today.

Aspects of Tyrone's game aren't appealing, but the prospect of Enda Kenny jumping on a Sam Maguire winning bandwagon doesn't appeal much either.

In raw footballing terms, hats off to Mayo, who got a good test, even if the result was clear 15 minutes out.

Losing Peter Harte was a blow. Gormley was putting himself about, McGinley was up for it.

If you look at the slow mo you'll see it wasn't a foot block - ball hit his upper shin. Don't envy the task of a ref in today's game, but generally Deegan had a 'fair' game.

Hopefully Sam will head due west. Well deserved.

You do know the lad is a true gael and was the secretary (iirc) of his local local, right? He could hardly be accused of band-wagoning on this one.

Relaxez-vous. Just being facetious. Do I have to use smileys?

Didn't really strike me as particularly facetious.

Aaron Boone

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Bensars on August 25, 2013, 11:56:07 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 25, 2013, 11:48:55 PM
Quote from: Bensars on August 25, 2013, 11:44:35 PM
O Shea went down holding his face - when in fact , no contact was made near his face

It can be buttered any way you like but it was blatant cheating !

What about Pascal hitting a man down? (simulating or for real).

What game you watching ? O Shea down ?

He's no shrinking violet.

O Connell went at him after the incident. Caught him between waist and shoulders and O Shea went down with both hands on face!

Cheat. Simulation. And not a word from the analyists that have every angle despite the slow motion replays

You can butter it whatever you want but O'Shea is a cheat !

Which game were you watching. O'Shea on his hands and knees and McConnell ran out to him and went for him. How the hell he did not get a yellow, is just another blackmark in the overall poor ref decisions throughout this game.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Zulu

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 25, 2013, 11:55:39 PM
Not even related to a penalty. You don't know what a foot block is if you think it was a free.

I clearly do but you don't. It isn't even a debate though you've yourself convinced something happened which didn't.

5.22 To block or attempt to block with the boot when an opponent is kicking the ball from the hand(s).

That's the actual rule - did the player block or attempt to block with his foot? How on earth can you say he didn't?

There's no mention of endangering the kicker or any distances or no mention of Zulu's honest opinion in the rule book either as far as I can see.

So if you kick the ball and I block  it with my foot 20 yards away, you get a free?

Zulu

Quote from: hardstation on August 25, 2013, 11:55:51 PM

Saying you 'clearly' do is easy.

I've explained why it wasn't a foul you haven't managed to say why it was.

ross matt

Well I posted after the Donegal match that Mayo needed a "dog" of a game and they certainly got it. Tyrone like I expected focussed on stopping Mayo from getting their customary good start that normally enabled them to have the match won by half time. Mayo regrouped, refocussed and won easily in the end.

In fact they won playing poorly for alot of the match. This was probably the best way they could have entered an AI final. If (as I suspect) Dublin will be their AI opponents then they wont go in as favorites based on today's performance.

For most of the first half today Mayo were all too easily dispossessed and forced in to shooting from angles that they shouldn't have been shooting from. In other words they allowed Tyrone to do to them what they've been doing to other teams all year.

The lazy analysis suggests that Mayo were frozen/nervous/anxious etc about the big occasion in the first half. Uncomfortable with the favorite's tag and so forth. I actually think it was the opposite. Mayo were over confident.... didn't show due respect to a proud but limited Tyrone side and were casual in their approach to the match. Coming off a performance where they blitzed the AI champions probably meant they entered today's match in an anti climatic (albeit subconscious) mode.

Once they engaged with their manager at half time where he presumably pointed out a "back to basics" 2nd half path to them they won pulling up. They pushed up... ran through the middle... supported each other.... shot on the run.... dominated midfield. In other words typical Mayo 2013.

The worries going in to the AI final....... most of their scores in this years championship have come from the supporting player off the shoulder of the player on the run. In order to execute this type of game plan you must be utterly dominant. During the first half today they were on the back foot and if you need scores in this type of situation you need your inside forwards to be creative and instinctive in order to magic scores out of nothing. That didnt happen for most of the first half as they were instead forced in to half shooting from impossible angles.

Cillian O'Connor has been an immense contributer to their 2013 scoring board to date. He can ghost in and make a point or very often a goal (as in Donegal match) out of nothing. If he has dislocated the same shoulder again he will be an inestimable loss.

I'm a huge fan of James Horan. I'm a huge fan of Andy Moran. But even in the Donegal match Andy was behind his man. In a tighter match like today he was even more so. Why did he remain on the field so long ? Is Andy the only achilles heel that James H has? Conroy (despite obvious sharpness due to lack of match practice) caused more problems for the opposition than Andy did in the last 2 matches. Conroy is  a natural forward. Andy is a few months short of his return to best form. Conroy should start the AI final. Andy should be the impact sub.

Mayo are on the precipice of greatness. They  really deserve this AI title. However in order to win it they will have to be at their level best for 70 minutes. I think they can tick this box. I certainly hope so.

PS Carney should not be commentating on matches involving Mayo. Fantastic player for Donegal and Mayo but unable to conceal his obvious bias.

2nd PS Tyrone can hold their heads high. Their 2013 model is a pale reflection of their 03-08 ones. They are in the process of merging young talent with experience. Yet for at least half of today's AI semi they were more than competitive. They are a great example of good attitude and maxing out to the best of your ability.

imtommygunn

He was attempting to block with his foot though? It did hit him on the shin yes but it was an attempted foot block.

Syferus

Quote from: hardstation on August 26, 2013, 12:05:44 AM
TBF, The Green & Red of Mayo is a class song. Heard it all day and never got tired listening to it.

Yeah, the Tuam men can sing a good song about Mayo. Prefer Clare Island, though.

Bensars

So what's your verdict on his double hand face holding exercise?

Missile from the crowd?

You can butter it whatever way you like, but O'Shea is a cheat ! And the 3 monkeys in the studio were afraid to go near it following Brolly's  tirade on cavanagh previously!

Hypocrisy !

FL/MAYO

You are spot on there Ross Matt, good post!