Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Zulu on August 25, 2013, 11:11:20 PM
You can block the ball with your leg.

Interpretation of the rule could differ. He lifted his foot in front of the kicker so by the letter of the law it could be deemed to be a foot block as ot could be said he attempted to block with his foot.

Zulu

It's only a foot block if you are endangering the kicker IMO.  There was enough distance between the players for it not to be a free IMO.

The Beard

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 25, 2013, 11:04:47 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 25, 2013, 11:01:34 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 25, 2013, 10:57:25 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 25, 2013, 10:55:20 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 25, 2013, 10:46:32 PM
When is a foot block not a foot block ?

Can anyone familiar with the rules clear this one up ?

I found this

"5.17 To block or attempt to block with the boot
when an opponent is kicking the ball from the
hand(s)."

Somebody else clarified that it has to be deemed dangerous play.
My reckoning is just that rule you quoted. You can't stick yer boot out to try and block a kick.

So was Martin Carney right ? It hit the Mayo lad's leg so it was not a foul ? It has to be the boot that makes contact with the ball when you put your boot in the way of the ball ?

It's a bad rule.

It's a daft rule, surely there is a huge difference between a lad using his boot to block a kick from hand from a distance of less than half metre to someone that is 2-3 metres away from the player kicking the ball.

the rule isnt a new thing. being about years. just now people who dont have a clue have jumped on the band wagon and deemed every shot that happens to hit off a mans foot as foot block. really annoys me. only a foot block if a man leads with his foot, raised and blocks close to when kicker has hit it (official interpretation from ref's is that a foul when foot-ball-foot make contact at one time but got to the stage now if its dangerous, then its blown). cant be used to give a free against a man who has flung himself in front of the ball, or indeed attempted to block with his hands and just happens to hit his foot. its designed to stop men firing themselves kung fu style, leading with feet to block the ball.

cant actually remember todays incident right, would needa see it again on tv so not specifically referring to this incident

sorry for rant but really annoys me, we had a penalty given against us in a club game this year for a defender on the line, blocked a shot from about 5 yards away with his foot and ref gave a penalty. just silly and a rule that certainly needs tidied up.

Zulu

Not even related to a penalty. You don't know what a foot block is if you think it was a free.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Zulu on August 25, 2013, 11:19:24 PM
It's only a foot block if you are endangering the kicker IMO.  There was enough distance between the players for it not to be a free IMO.

So it is your opinion to what is or is not a foot block, the beard is probably right but that is once again an interpretation and is not clear on the rule. The man lifted his foot to block a ball and IMO that could be deemed as being covered under the rules.  It is messy.

highorlow

As predicted closer than most Mayo posters made it to be. We got out of jail today and no disrespect to Tyrone but if that was Dublin in the 1st half playing in their home pitch than I think we were codswalloped.

Sam is Dublins to lose now.

p.s. fair play to Tyrone fans for staying on and applauding their team until the end. Ye are true gaels.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 25, 2013, 08:43:59 PM
  Also, the lose of Harte was key to the ability to drive forward from the back, creating the extra man and drawing the free.  One of the finest examples of a shoulder charge that you will see and Harte was well and truly floored.   

In truth it was a poor pass to Harte from Colm Cavanagh (who overall had a good game) and Petey had to work very hard to get to the ball first and move it on to a teammate. His attention was entirely on the ball - which he got to first - whilst the Mayo man was focusing entirely on the hit. So really it wasn't a fine example of a shoulder charge at all.

The ref was pretty harsh on Tyrone and I feel his early soft frees were a factor in ensuring that Tyrone were not as far ahead at half-time as they should have been. Mayo were seriously rattled after 20 mins or so but those frees kept them in it. It must be said also though that his decision to call back the Mayo goal for a non existent foul was a real shocker. Got the penalty wrong too. Mayo were deserving winners and the ref didn't turn the game but it wasn't a good day for him at all.

Bensars

Well done Mayo. Better side end of. Good luck in final.

However,

What was amazing was the complete omission of any viewpoint on Aiden o Sheas throat grab and subsequent cheating whereby he went down holding his face, when replays showed Packie mc Connell made no contact anywhere near his face ?

The previous week it was cynicism, coached at underage levels, permeating down to u-16 levels and a total blight on what was good in the game!

I find it totally incredulous that this incident should go unchallenged and totally hypocritical two weeks later upon previously whereby it was a total affront to western society that resulted in deformation of an individuals character!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on August 25, 2013, 11:31:36 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 25, 2013, 11:29:50 PM
Not even related to a penalty. You don't know what a foot block is if you think it was a free.
You don't know what a free is if you think that was a legitimate block.
Youse are approaching "yer ma" territory.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Bensars on August 25, 2013, 11:33:07 PM

However,

What was amazing was the complete omission of any viewpoint on Aiden o Sheas throat grab and subsequent cheating whereby he went down holding his face, when replays showed Packie mc Connell made no contact anywhere near his face ?

The previous week it was cynicism, coached at underage levels, permeating down to u-16 levels and a total blight on what was good in the game!

I find it totally incredulous that this incident should go unchallenged and totally hypocritical two weeks later upon previously whereby it was a total affront to western society that resulted in deformation of an individuals character!
Haven't watched The Sunday Game yet but I would be very interested to hear what Philip Jordan has to say on this matter...

Syferus

However,

Ould Pascal is no stranger to silly stuff, he wanted a boxing match with Donie Shine at the end of our game last year.

cicfada

Quote from: highorlow on August 25, 2013, 11:31:52 PM
As predicted closer than most Mayo posters made it to be. We got out of jail today and no disrespect to Tyrone but if that was Dublin in the 1st half playing in their home pitch than I think we were codswalloped.

p.s. fair play to Tyrone fans for staying on and applauding their team until the end. Ye are true gaels.
A mayo man crying out for underdog status, talk about pathetic! Mayo have been the best team in the country this summer and will win the final handy ! Time for ye to show some confidence in them !

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

However,

You seemed to miss Pascal McConnell's third man attack of Aidan and he didn't even get booked.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Syferus

Quote from: highorlow on August 25, 2013, 11:31:52 PM

Massive amount abandoned ship with ten minutes to go, made watching the match hard with the stream of white jerseys going by. To be expected in an AISF when teams take on the big-time band-wagoners.