Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: galwayman on August 25, 2013, 06:06:54 PM
If Dublin win next week I think their open style of play will suit Mayo
It would suit Mayo and Kerry are the only defensive team remaining.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Mayo 4/5 to win Sam, obviously because they are the only team in the final so far.

Really think Mayo should not be anything better than 2/1.

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

emmetryan

On a pure odds making note, I doubt either finallist will be as long as 2/1. Usually the tightest game of the year in terms of action.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

SBH1983

Can anyone remember a game anywhere ever that that kickout strategy of Tyrone was used? (Apart from various Tyrone matches of recent years, the All-Ireland Semi v Cork 2009 being the other example when it blew up in their faces).

Seriously, is it excusable? Tyrone have a heap of 6 footers in the team and around the middle, by using this tactic are they saying "we don't rate you and your ability to win the ball." Confusing to say the least, especially at that level.

Even if you were scared shitless of the O'Shea's sure you could spoil the ball at MF and work off breaks which Tyrone did expertly in the past. You can't win a game without taking a risk and introducing uncertainty into the equation. Kicking the ball out to corner backs and playing around inside the 45 and sometimes 21 is about the most conservative tactic available.

Syferus

Quote from: SBH1983 on August 25, 2013, 06:54:50 PM
Can anyone remember a game anywhere ever that that kickout strategy of Tyrone was used? (Apart from various Tyrone matches of recent years, the All-Ireland Semi v Cork 2009 being the other example when it blew up in their faces).

Seriously, is it excusable? Tyrone have a heap of 6 footers in the team and around the middle, by using this tactic are they saying "we don't rate you and your ability to win the ball." Confusing to say the least, especially at that level.

Even if you were scared shitless of the O'Shea's sure you could spoil the ball at MF and work off breaks which Tyrone did expertly in the past. You can't win a game without taking a risk and introducing uncertainty into the equation. Kicking the ball out to corner backs and playing around inside the 45 and sometimes 21 is about the most conservative tactic available.

Seanie C has only ever been average under high ball, it means Tyrone are always a little light in the middle. If you could unearth an IC midfielder (Cassidy?) to free Sean C to be a third midfielder it might change the predictable slow build-up Tyrone rely on. Likewise s proper 14 is needed to make long kick passes a real option.

ross4life

Quote from: SBH1983 on August 25, 2013, 06:54:50 PM

Harte has used those same tactics against us the last few years he doesn't trust his 6 footers against other 6 footers to be fair Sean Cavanagh is more of half forward than midfielder, i was surprised how off form on frees he was today he normally scores 4-6 points.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rois

Back up the road now - well done Mayo - the sinking feeling came a bit later than I thought it would - Tyrone you really led us on in the first half! 

Colm Cavanagh showed probably the most heart in that team in the second half, I'd have him on the team for that alone, and maybe it didn't come across on TV. 

I think Peter Harte's loss was a huge one. 

seafoid

Is this the first time mayo have back to back semi final wins since 1951?

orangeman

Well done mayo. Tyrone can have no complaints.

Tyrone needed everything to right for them and Mayo needed to be below par which is exactly what happened for 25 minutes.

From that point onwards there was only ever going to be one winner.

maigheo

Quote from: seafoid on August 25, 2013, 07:45:23 PM
no. we beat Kerry and Offaly in the semifinals in 96 and97

Rossfan

From the 20th minute there was only going to be one winner despite all the wides, the soft non penalty etc.
Mwr were twice as good as Tymoan from the end of the first quarter onwards.
Mind you the old adage about teams with bad forward lines never winning All Irelands comes to mind.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on August 25, 2013, 07:45:23 PM

You're off the boil today , Sea.

sam03/05

For Tyrone to win they needed one of those days when everything went their way.
they got the opposite.
Peter Harte, Joe McMahon and Stevie O'Neill all went off injured (our 3 most important players bar Cavanagh)
The ref made a few big calls against them at crucial times.

Overall however from the 15th minute onwards. Mayo were the better team. In control and there only looked to be one winner.
The fully deserve to be in the final and were a class above anything Tyrone played all year. (and I dont even think they played anywhere near their true potential)

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Rois on August 25, 2013, 07:42:56 PM
Back up the road now - well done Mayo - the sinking feeling came a bit later than I thought it would - Tyrone you really led us on in the first half! 

Colm Cavanagh showed probably the most heart in that team in the second half, I'd have him on the team for that alone, and maybe it didn't come across on TV. 

I think Peter Harte's loss was a huge one.

Indeed he was the 2nd best of the four fielders with the eldest oshea just squeaking it

brokencrossbar1

What today's game and the Mayo- Donegal game shows is that teams that build their whole tactical game plan around a negative game plan are being found out if any chink in the system is exposed.  Mayo were able to match both Tyrone and Donegal for fitness but they have a more positive approach to the game and have a better array of scoring options.  The heavy reliance on Sean Cavanagh was exposed today as he was not able to assert the influence he has had in previous games and that was down to 2 key factors.  The ability of the Mayo runners to put pressure on him and also the work rate and closing down of space around the middle sector in general.  He rarely got the ball in space. 

Tactically after the first 20 minutes Tyrone were a busted flush.  The Mayo defenders pushed up and negated the advantage of playing a sweeper.  That is the only way you can play against this system.  Also, the lose of Harte was key to the ability to drive forward from the back, creating the extra man and drawing the free.  One of the finest examples of a shoulder charge that you will see and Harte was well and truly floored.    On todays performance Mayo showed a character that had previously been missing in Mayo teams.  Hopefully for them young O'Connor will be ok, any word?   He will be a key player in the final if he is fit.