Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: muppet on August 23, 2013, 08:29:19 PM
Quote from: Mr. Nakata on August 23, 2013, 08:26:39 PM
I am concerned about Tyrone's free taking. McCurry is accurate from close range on the left...Stevie may take the ones from further out. Sean will take all from the right side. He scores more than he misses but I think on Sunday, all frees need to sailing over the black spot. McAliskeyoot) strikesing  a lovely dead ball, so hopefully he gets the 45s, though Joe scores the odd toe poke. A few early wides will be like a serious boot in the balls. It'll knock the stuffing out of us.

I pray that he does.

Kinda hoping Sean takes the left hand side frees myself (with his right boot)

omagh_gael

Mr Nakata is right. I we hit a few early wides it could be game over, our scoring v wide rates this year have been atrocious. Need to keep the total wide count in single figures to stand a chance. A couple of early points from young McCurry and McAliskey would do their confidence a world of good.

Safe journey to all heading to Dublin this weekend. I am unable to go with a newborn baby in the house, will get it fierce tough on the morning of the big game.

Syferus

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 23, 2013, 11:17:06 PM
Mr Nakata is right. I we hit a few early wides it could be game over, our scoring v wide rates this year have been atrocious. Need to keep the total wide count in single figures to stand a chance. A couple of early points from young McCurry and McAliskey would do their confidence a world of good.

Safe journey to all heading to Dublin this weekend. I am unable to go with a newborn baby in the house, will get it fierce tough on the morning of the big game.

Smart teams have out-blanketed Tyrone. Tyrone have a relatively slow build-up that regularly begins with short kick-outs and that allows plenty of time for the opposition's forwards to stream back and set up shop. Tyrone got trapped on the opposition 45 a lot in the Donegal and Roscommon games and all of that explains why Seanie C is so important to Tyrone, he's one of the few players in the country that can still break the line in that situation.

There was all that talk about Tyrone really focusing on their long-distance shooting before the Donegal game and they have hit some very sweet long range points, a lot of them coming from Mattie Donnelly.

I think Morgan's loss was absolutely massive for Tyrone - a little luck and the Donegal game would have been there for Tyrone from his boot and his long-range frees completely change the areas of the field a team feels comfortable giving fouls away in and may have resulted in more line breaks around the 45.

Rodman

When I look closely at the Mayo team as individuals they really are very average. I think how good Mayo are is a reflection of how good a manager Horan is. A bit like Donegal, where it was more about the manager rather than the players. There is no doubt that the only reason Donegal won the all ireland was because of McGuinness. I think Horan has the same attributes but ultimately doesn't have the 5 or 6 top class players that Donegal had. That's why I think Mayo will ultimately fail in their quest for Sam. They may well beat Tyrone but I don't think they are all-ireland winners. They don't have the class that Dublin or Kerry have that is required to win the ultimate prize. If Mayo folk really be realistic about things they will see this also. I Hope I am wrong as I do like Mayo and if Mayo do beat Tyrone I will be fully behind them in the final but ultimately they are a few top class players away from being all-ireland champions.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Rodman on August 23, 2013, 11:45:50 PM
When I look closely at the Mayo team as individuals they really are very average. I think how good Mayo are is a reflection of how good a manager Horan is. A bit like Donegal, where it was more about the manager rather than the players. There is no doubt that the only reason Donegal won the all ireland was because of McGuinness. I think Horan has the same attributes but ultimately doesn't have the 5 or 6 top class players that Donegal had. That's why I think Mayo will ultimately fail in their quest for Sam. They may well beat Tyrone but I don't think they are all-ireland winners. They don't have the class that Dublin or Kerry have that is required to win the ultimate prize. If Mayo folk really be realistic about things they will see this also. I Hope I am wrong as I do like Mayo and if Mayo do beat Tyrone I will be fully behind them in the final but ultimately they are a few top class players away from being all-ireland champions.

Just lobbing another oul grenade in there, Rodman?
That was never a square ball!!

Syferus

Aye. I totally read the rest of that after such a strong opening. We need more of this in-depth analysis.

Do Mayo have the guts to get over the line? Do they have tin hearts? How about having the drive? Magician-like skill? Big question marks about this Mayo team.

If they were tennis players I bet not a single one of them could crack the top 10000. They're damn lucky they're playing a team sport or that incredible deficit of individual talent would really screw them.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on August 23, 2013, 11:51:17 PM

Aye. I totally read the rest of that after such a strong opening. We need more of this in-depth analysis.

Do Mayo have the guts to get over the line? Do they have tin hearts? How about having the drive? Magician-like skill? Big question marks about this Mayo team.

If they were tennis players I bet not a single one of them could crack the top 10000. They're damn lucky they're playing a team sport or that incredible deficit of individual talent would really screw them.

Are you drunk?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

From the Bunker

larryin89

Average players,no quality, lack of skilful players.

Are ye GAA people at all, did ye even grow up with the game?

Ye do not have a friggin clue.

And yer Benny there is starting to cover his hole by posting he thinks they could be at the end of a drubbing or they could win a close contest, ffs that s like the met office telling you it could be a scorcher of a day or it might well be a miserable wet day.

Mayo will win and win handy because they are a far better side than Tyrone.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

BennyHarp

Quote from: larryin89 on August 24, 2013, 12:02:38 AM

And yer Benny there is starting to cover his hole by posting he thinks they could be at the end of a drubbing or they could win a close contest, ffs that s like the met office telling you it could be a scorcher of a day or it might well be a miserable wet day.

Mayo could win a close game?
Tyrone could drub Mayo?
Could be a few points in it to Mayo not a drubbing but not close?
Could be a few points in it to Tyrone not a drubbing but not close?

Quite a few permutations Larry - I'm a bit annoyed however, that you think that you agree with me on the only two possible outcomes as you have shown yourself to be a bit of a clown. Is that a show ball? Are Tyrone 9/1 on Sunday??  ;D

Nice comment from you a few days ago about fellow GAA men I'd say a little bit more over the top than calling a player average?

Quote from: larryin89 on August 04, 2013, 07:00:59 AM
I actually liked Brollys outburst, it showed genuine passion.

GAA folk are far too watery and conservative , gtf if youre offended , tis about time people told it how it is. The rules need changing and Brolly is doing a mighty job in highlighting that.

Tyrone are the most ugly horrible team around , thank gawd Mayo will batter them.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ONeill on August 23, 2013, 06:13:07 PM
We're coming to that serious part now where the sham-fighting ceases and we head into battle.

For me, I'm just hoping we force the tempo and play to our strengths. I worry that Mayo are better than we are at every facet, including swarming, dirty ball winning, ball retention, support play, turnovers - all that has served us well these last 2 months. We'll find out. We've played nowhere near the level they played at against Donegal but that's not saying we can't rise to the level needed to defeat what's in front of us - we have every time.

Nightmare - we're blitzed by the real deal. They are as good as we feared and 2-3 years ahead in terms of development. 0-12 3-16
Optimistic - we throw the sink at them and they possess that soft underbelly they're 'famed' for. 0-15 0-13

Veering towards the former but more wrong than right since 1984.
Aye, I s'pose its about time for youse stop calling us chokers and for us to stop telling the truth and lay off calling
ye a shower of dirty b**tards. ;D
The craic's been mighty all along the way but for, me at any rate; it's time to let the buzz build up.
This Mayo team is beginning to look like the real deal to me but there's more to Mickey Harte than his pretty face and any side managed by him has to be treated with respect.
Mickey has proved his worth and still going strong.
I'm not bluffing here; Mickey won the 2005 final for Tyrone. Well, at least he was the difference between winning and losing. No other manager would take the gamble he took with Canavan's fitness and get away with it. He may not have the array of brilliant footballer he had in the glory years but there's still enough of them about to cause an upset if they get half a chance.
I'm not at the Farrandeelin stage yet still but I'll be glad when the ball is thrown in and the waiting is finally over.
If Mayo have any weaknesses Harte will spot and exploit them. I expect Mayo will win but this game will prove whether they're top class or not.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rodman

And they probably will but to win Sam takes something special - do Mayo have that. Think back of the most recent winners and the players they had ,
Armagh - mcgeeney, mcgrane, mcconville, marsden, McDonnell
Tyrone - Canavan, Dooher, Jordan, O'Neill, Cavanagh
Kerry - O'Se's, Cooper, Donaghy, Galvin, O'Sullivan
Cork -  Canty, Kelly, Goulding, Shields, Sheehan
Dublin - A Brogan, Cluxton, Flynn, B Brogan, MD McCauley
Mayo?? - O'Shea,Dillon,.....grasping as straws!!!

See what I mean. Can any Mayo folk get 3 more, and be realistic.

orangeman

Tyrone 4-1 now.

I hope you took the 2-7 on Mayo.

Tyrone will be lucky to get to 10 points on Sunday and be within 10 points at the finish.

muppet

Quote from: Rodman on August 24, 2013, 12:28:58 AM

And they probably will but to win Sam takes something special - do Mayo have that. Think back of the most recent winners and the players they had ,
Armagh - mcgeeney, mcgrane, mcconville, marsden, McDonnell
Tyrone - Canavan, Dooher, Jordan, O'Neill, Cavanagh
Kerry - O'Se's, Cooper, Donaghy, Galvin, O'Sullivan
Cork -  Canty, Kelly, Goulding, Shields, Sheehan
Dublin - A Brogan, Cluxton, Flynn, B Brogan, MD McCauley
Mayo?? - O'Shea,Dillon,.....grasping as straws!!!

See what I mean. Can any Mayo folk get 3 more, and be realistic.

Remember Cafferkey on Donaghy 2 years ago?
Remember Cafferkey on McFadden for 10 minutes (sadly) and then Molloy last year?
Ever watch Keith Higgins for 5 minutes?
2.5 games 6 - 13? I won't even name him.

Pretty good straws and that is before you get to Kevin McLoughlin, Andy Moran and our half back line.
MWWSI 2017