Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Best of luck to both teams on Sunday - Hopefully it will be a good game though semi finals rarely are. Think Mayo will do it myself

omagh_gael

Quote from: Mayo Mick link=tthic=23553.msg1269130#msg1269130 date=1377248501
Just wondering what would be an acceptable result from a Tyrone view.  6 pts or less defeat and still in with a chance with 15 mins to go? Big performances from a couple of lesser lights? Some indication that nucleus of a competitive team is emerging?  Or just avoiding a hammering?

I am going to pull a Larryin89 on this. Mayo have been talked up and up and up since their QF, however,  words are wind. They will be meeting a Tyrone team coming under the radar with a major axe to grind. We have been ticking along just doing enough and I believe that the Cavanagh furore will ignite our season. Expect Tyrone to launch into Mayo like the pack of savages we are. The first quarter is key. Get a few early points and keep the men from the Whest quiet and we'll soon see how Mayo sphincters stand up to a thorough investigation.

Honestly think the odds for this game are crazy. Never give up hope.

Tyrone 1-13 Mayo 1-11

Come on Tyrone!

rodney trotter

Both Counties talk a good game anyway. 108 pages. Wtf

nrico2006

There has never really been a team in the GAA in my lifetime that were miles ahead of the rest of the pack with the result being a foregone conclusion.  Mayo could well win this game but I find the talk of the 'game being over at half time' and Mayo winning by 15 points to be crazy.  Mayo are a good side but they are no better than anything that I have seen over the past 20 years (and have yet to prove if they are really that good).  All Ireland semi finals are usally competitive games and for the life of me I just can't understand how everyone reckons Mayo have suddenly become an unstoppable force a la Kilkenny 2008. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 23, 2013, 10:11:21 AM

If Tyrone are in with a chance with 15mins to go, they will win the game. It will have meant that this great Mayo team were not the free flowing attacking machine that they have been made out to be as Tyrone had matched them for 55mins. Mayo doubts will resurface and Tyrone are masters at closing out the big games.
And you accuse Emmett Ryan of lazy analysis, when have Mayo doubts surfaced previously?
Why dont you say we choke in finals or we have no forwards  ::)
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

SkillfulBill

Quote from: BennyHarp on Today at 10:11:21 AM

If Tyrone are in with a chance with 15mins to go, they will win the game. It will have meant that this great Mayo team were not the free flowing attacking machine that they have been made out to be as Tyrone had matched them for 55mins. Mayo doubts will resurface and Tyrone are masters at closing out the big games.
And you accuse Emmett Ryan of lazy analysis, when have Mayo doubts surfaced previously?
What dont you say we choke in finals or we have no forwards 

Strangle enough I think you just answered your own question

screenexile

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 23, 2013, 10:43:24 AM
There has never really been a team in the GAA in my lifetime that were miles ahead of the rest of the pack with the result being a foregone conclusion.  Mayo could well win this game but I find the talk of the 'game being over at half time' and Mayo winning by 15 points to be crazy.  Mayo are a good side but they are no better than anything that I have seen over the past 20 years (and have yet to prove if they are really that good).  All Ireland semi finals are usally competitive games and for the life of me I just can't understand how everyone reckons Mayo have suddenly become an unstoppable force a la Kilkenny 2008.

Donegal Last year
Kerry 2009/2007/2006/2004

Farrandeelin

The only person who's saying it will be over at leath ama is hardstation.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 23, 2013, 10:51:17 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 23, 2013, 10:11:21 AM

What dont you say we choke in finals or we have no forwards  ::)

The fact is that in every senior and minor championship since 1985, when they last won the minor all ireland title, Mayo's arses have fallen out of their challenge at some point, be that in Connaught,  AI Semi or final. (In that time Tyrone have won 5 minor AI and 3 Senior - which I would argue creates a tradition of winning big games) Now you can argue that they have won big games and I agree, yes they have, but they have never followed this up. I believe that this history plays on the mind of players and perhaps played a part in the nightmare finals v Kerry a few years ago. What I am saying, and if you read the rest of my post you'd probably have worked it out, is that this team have yet to prove they have greater mental fortitude than their predecessors - remember, this team lost the AI final last year! I think that that gives me enough evidence to back up my point, and it's not lazy analysis. (Plus I'm not selling book about my analysis which is why I was so critical - just like you may be on Martin Breheny!) I will reiterate (and I'm sure Mayo could hardly care less) that I will quite happily admit Mayo are a class team if they hammer Tyrone and go on to lift Sam. All I'm saying is hold your horses, boast when you win something and people like me all over the country will just have to suck it up! I'll be honest - ill be delighted or ye if you do!
That was never a square ball!!

muppet

The first sphincters to be tested will be in the first 15 minutes.

It is a long way until testing sphincters in the last 15 minutes. The game will have taken on a life of its own by then with the usual twists and turns.
MWWSI 2017

NAG1

Quote from: Declan on August 23, 2013, 10:24:39 AM
Best of luck to both teams on Sunday - Hopefully it will be a good game though Football semi finals rarely are. Think Mayo will do it myself

Fixed that for you there Declan  ;D

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Mayo Mick on August 23, 2013, 10:01:41 AM
Just wondering what would be an acceptable result from a Tyrone view.  6 pts or less defeat and still in with a chance with 15 mins to go? Big performances from a couple of lesser lights? Some indication that nucleus of a competitive team is emerging?  Or just avoiding a hammering?

You're right Mick. It has to be Mayo ................... doesn't it?  ;)
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

AMayoFan

Well it's time for my predications on how I think the match will play out on Sunday (for what it's worth).

Tyrone short quick kicks will come under huge pressure. If Mayo get a goal scoring opportunity I wouldn't be surprised if its comes from a botched short kick out.  So Tyrone will be forced to kick out long for most of the match.

Midfield will be a huge battle and while allot has been posted by our O'Shea brothers (and they've been fantastic), they're not going to get it all there own way on Sunday.  Tyrone in this area were massively impressive in the league final against Dublin as they've been all throughout this championship.   I expect that Mayo will get allot less attacking ball from this area, as will Tyrone (may I add)! With stalemate at centre field, it's going to be interesting to see which teams other attacking option work best. IMO Mayo have more attack options and can attack from more areasin the field, so I'm hoping to see some great point taking and lots of them.

This will go against allot of my fellow  Mayo opinions, but I'm expecting no goals from Mayo!!! I don't see Tyrone leaving gaps  near there full backline for Mayo to run in goals as other teams did.

Not allot has been mentioned about Mayo defence (probably because most of them have been too busy attacking  ;D), in any case, I think they have been outstanding.  Really top drawn performance from them all.  This will be needed again.  I also expect because Tyrone will have less scoring opportunities, and will therefore target getting goals, so there going to be loads of nervous moments for us in Mayo. 

Score: Mayo 0:17pts / Tyrone 2:08

Fuzzman

What's people's thinking of Mickey bringing back in McKenna for Carlin?
Would he be faster than Carlin? Carlin seemed to slip at crucial points when turning in some games he played I noticed.

I thought I would say more Mayo flags around Dublin this week as a lot live here but have hardly seen any.

highorlow

QuoteNow you can argue that they have won big games and I agree, yes they have, but they have never followed this up. I believe that this history plays on the mind of players and perhaps played a part in the nightmare finals v Kerry a few years ago. What I am saying, and if you read the rest of my post you'd probably have worked it out, is that this team have yet to prove they have greater mental fortitude than their predecessors - remember, this team lost the AI final last year! I think that that gives me enough evidence to back up my point, and it's not lazy analysis.

Benny, go and listen to Horan's interview.

Mayo are sick and tired of this yearly tripe that comes out.

We lost match's previously because the opposition was better than us. No other reason.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go