Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 23, 2013, 01:32:41 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 23, 2013, 01:23:51 AM
http://www.thestar.ie/star/brothers-in-battle/

BROTHERS IN BATTLE
NO-ONE can say definitively — but it's almost certain that two sets of brothers have never faced off in a midfield battle on the senior inter-county stage.
Not until this weekend, when we'll see Tyrone's Cavanagh brothers — Sean and Colm — go head-to-head with Mayo's O'Shea's — Seamus and Aidan.
It's sure to be a titanic tussle, and with Sean Cavanagh and Aidan O'Shea two of the hottest players in the country right now, it could define Sunday's semi-final at Croke Park.
Minor
Sean and Colm Cavanagh have played together on and off at midfield since younger sibling Colm — a 2004 All-Ireland minor winner — became a Tyrone regular five years ago.
Former Mayo midfield star David Brady feels the Breaffy siblings compliment each other perfectly and that Seamus is back boning Aidan's sensational form.
Brady told Star Sport: "Mayo have missed a combination of players that suit each other.
"There's been change around midfield every second or third game.  Last year the foundation was laid with Barry and Aidan O'Shea, but unfortunately Barry got injured.
"Seamus perfectly compliments him (Aidan), a lot of it unseen, the way they play with each other.
"They suit each others game and if they don't understand each other as brothers there is no hope for the rest of them."
Other county midfield football brothers include Armagh's Grimley twins —   John and Mark —   and Carlow's Walsh's — Tomas and   Patrick.

What, one brother says to the other "Your hair is beautiful today bruv", and the other says "so is yours bruv"?!

You might expect that a journo, regardless of the rag, would know the difference between compliment and complement!  >:(

Red top
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Syferus

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 23, 2013, 01:26:43 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 23, 2013, 01:22:31 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 23, 2013, 01:09:57 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 23, 2013, 01:01:59 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 23, 2013, 12:55:32 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 23, 2013, 12:53:55 AM
Yeah, whatever, no point you even worrying about it so.

I have to attend the bleeding thing, I just hope I won't be bored to tears by yet another Harlem Globetrotters exhibition game by Mayo.

Ah right, OK, we'll try to prevent that, honestly.  ;)

He is confused, trying to ride our coat tails on this thread and on the Minor championship thread claiming if Roscommon won the minors and Mayo won the Seniors they would somehow take the good out of it. It's as daft as saying if ye won Sam, Monaghan winning the minors would ruin it on ye (and ye haven't had a 62 year wait). I like the Rossies, Syf included, but the desperation is really showing.

The arch enemies arriving in a Roscommon Mayo GAA town like Ballagh with Sam in tow would be a secondary concern to the fine local folk celebrating their own All-Ireland.

Would Mayo have been moved to joy if Galway had marched into Ballyhaunis with Sam in 1998?

The honest truth would both teams would be cheered through the town. With not a sane Rossie claiming that their Mayo majority neighbours achievement was not greater. But away from the dreams Syf, a bit more respect for the other semi-finalists in both comps. Mayo ladies in with a chance of an All-Ireland too this year  ;)

Sure these are just Dublin and Mayo's last challenge matches before the AI final. The minor championship, now that might be interesting,

macdanger2

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 22, 2013, 10:48:38 PM
Stevie has a score to settle after 2004, when he scored an absolute screamer of a goal in a vain attempt to turn things around against a resolutely defiant Mayo;

That was some goal, I think that brought ye level after we had lead for most of the game. I remember thinking that we had given ye a good game of it but that ye'd go on to win it after that, happily we pushed on instead  :)

O'Neill is the one Tyrone player I'd be worried about, he hasn't played really well since the league semi final but if he were to pull out a big performance on Sunday, he could win this for Tyrone. That said, I'd expect Caff & AN Other to have him well marshalled.

bluenosebandit

Im very surprised that Harte has went for skeet in the ff line as I fully expected him to select mcnabb at 12, joe mcmahon at 15 and having him come out to do his usual role. It looks like a slightly more attacking tyrone line up than expected.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 23, 2013, 01:23:51 AM
http://www.thestar.ie/star/brothers-in-battle/

BROTHERS IN BATTLE
NO-ONE can say definitively — but it's almost certain that two sets of brothers have never faced off in a midfield battle on the senior inter-county stage.
Not until this weekend, when we'll see Tyrone's Cavanagh brothers — Sean and Colm — go head-to-head with Mayo's O'Shea's — Seamus and Aidan.
It's sure to be a titanic tussle, and with Sean Cavanagh and Aidan O'Shea two of the hottest players in the country right now, it could define Sunday's semi-final at Croke Park.
Minor
Sean and Colm Cavanagh have played together on and off at midfield since younger sibling Colm — a 2004 All-Ireland minor winner — became a Tyrone regular five years ago.
Former Mayo midfield star David Brady feels the Breaffy siblings compliment each other perfectly and that Seamus is back boning Aidan's sensational form.
Brady told Star Sport: "Mayo have missed a combination of players that suit each other.
"There's been change around midfield every second or third game.  Last year the foundation was laid with Barry and Aidan O'Shea, but unfortunately Barry got injured.
"Seamus perfectly compliments him (Aidan), a lot of it unseen, the way they play with each other.
"They suit each others game and if they don't understand each other as brothers there is no hope for the rest of them."
Other county midfield football brothers include Armagh's Grimley twins —   John and Mark —   and Carlow's Walsh's — Tomas and   Patrick.

Jesus backboning really needs to be written as a single word!
Hasta la victoria siempre

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: rrhf on August 22, 2013, 11:25:06 PM
Was Anthony finnerty the worst player ever to play in an all Ireland final?

He wasnt even the worst Mayo man to play in that final!
Larry scored a goal in an all-ireland final, not many men can say that
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ONeill on August 23, 2013, 12:01:09 AM
Former Tyrone player Ryan McMenamin reckons the county have it in them to upset Mayo in Sunday's All-Ireland SFC semi-final at Croke Park.

While agreeing that the Connacht champions are favourites to advance to the decider on 22 September, McMenamin feels that Tyrone's journey through the back-door route will benefit them.

He told RTÉ Sport: "Mickey Harte has freshened up the team this year. A lot of the players involved were on the periphery of the squad. They have now got their chance and nothing beats competitive games.

"Throughout the summer the side have won tight matches and I have no doubt they have taken great heart from that. The character and the resolve in the present Tyrone squad is there to see.

"At the start of the year many fans would have been happy with getting to an All-Ireland quarter-final, but the fact that we got to a league decider and could have won it and are now in the last four is testament to the work being put in."

Like all onlookers, McMenamin has been impressed by Mayo, but is confident the Tyrone management will have a plan in place to curb their effectiveness.

He explained: "Mayo have been great to watch all year. Yet sometimes when you win well, the weaknesses in the side tend to be overlooked.

"I'm sure Mickey will have analysed the videos and highlighted any chinks. If Tyrone can slow the game down and play it on their terms it will be interesting to see how it all impacts on the supply of ball to the Mayo forwards.

"Everyone is saying our lads will be no match for them, yet as many people were doubting us after we lost to Donegal.
"Tyrone may not have the flair players that were around four or five years ago, but they are still in this Championship and there is enough talent in this present squad to suggest they can live with Mayo.

"In the years we won All-Irelands a few top-notch performances have been delivered. I'm confident of another one on Sunday."

As to whether McMenamin would put money on Tyrone, he replied: "Of course I would. I've heard odds of 9/1 and that's a great price."

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2013/0822/469805-mcmenamin-tyrone-can-be-a-match-for-mayo/

<yawn....>

He would say that, wouldn't he?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

nrico2006

Quote from: SkillfulBill on August 22, 2013, 10:48:50 PM
Mickey has been taking oneill out to the 45 but it has tended to be later on in games to get him more into games. Particularly the Donegal game. Last day out he done it in response to penroses red card. Funny enough he took Stevie off against Monaghan just when he seemed to become more effective in the role.  I think for Mayo game he will play 3up to keep them committed at the back. Bring them on and strip the ball. I would say the tackling drills have been fiercely stepped up in the last three weeks.

Tyrone are lacking an out and out creator at 11.  When SON has been pulled out in games he has been brilliant in that role as he has great vision and is good at winning his own ball.  The days of a full forward being one on one with his man and getting big scores have passed us and I think SON at 11 would be a great move, imagient he ball he would provide for McAliskey amd McCurry.  As you mentioned, I found it strange that SON went off against Monaghan jsut after having a great ten minutes at 11.  Coney and Ronan O'Neill could have big roles this weekend.  As for Aidan O'Shea marking Cavanagh, if it did happen O'Shea would get an almighty roasting.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

muppet

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 23, 2013, 09:16:28 AM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on August 22, 2013, 10:48:50 PM
Mickey has been taking oneill out to the 45 but it has tended to be later on in games to get him more into games. Particularly the Donegal game. Last day out he done it in response to penroses red card. Funny enough he took Stevie off against Monaghan just when he seemed to become more effective in the role.  I think for Mayo game he will play 3up to keep them committed at the back. Bring them on and strip the ball. I would say the tackling drills have been fiercely stepped up in the last three weeks.

Tyrone are lacking an out and out creator at 11.  When SON has been pulled out in games he has been brilliant in that role as he has great vision and is good at winning his own ball.  The days of a full forward being one on one with his man and getting big scores have passed us and I think SON at 11 would be a great move, imagient he ball he would provide for McAliskey amd McCurry.  As you mentioned, I found it strange that SON went off against Monaghan jsut after having a great ten minutes at 11.  Coney and Ronan O'Neill could have big roles this weekend.  As for Aidan O'Shea marking Cavanagh, if it did happen O'Shea would get an almighty roasting.

Cavanagh won't be marking Aiden for precisely the opposite reason. Sean is the best in the land at what he does, but he doesn't play as an orthodox midfielder. If he is left to pick up Aiden, the Breaffy man will run riot.
MWWSI 2017

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Mayo Mick

Just wondering what would be an acceptable result from a Tyrone view.  6 pts or less defeat and still in with a chance with 15 mins to go? Big performances from a couple of lesser lights? Some indication that nucleus of a competitive team is emerging?  Or just avoiding a hammering?

If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

trueblue1234

Quote from: Mayo Mick on August 23, 2013, 10:01:41 AM
Just wondering what would be an acceptable result from a Tyrone view.  6 pts or less defeat and still in with a chance with 15 mins to go? Big performances from a couple of lesser lights? Some indication that nucleus of a competitive team is emerging?  Or just avoiding a hammering?

I'd like for us to keep the game competitive for the first while, let Mayo think they're in with a chance and then in the last quarter just say f%$k it, and run out 6 point winners. Anything less will be a disappointment TBH.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

BennyHarp

If Tyrone are in with a chance with 15mins to go, they will win the game. It will have meant that this great Mayo team were not the free flowing attacking machine that they have been made out to be as Tyrone had matched them for 55mins. Mayo doubts will resurface and Tyrone are masters at closing out the big games.

If Mayo prove to be the next great team and win by 10+ points I will happily hold my hands up, congratulate them on having a great team and enjoy watching them in the All Ireland final. At this moment in time however, I don't think they have done enough to be talked about in the hyperbole way they have been. Sunday may be the day that they silence a few more doubters but I think ultimately everyone wont be convinced until ye have Sam in Castlebar - then you can boast all ye like.
That was never a square ball!!

seafoid

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 23, 2013, 10:11:21 AM

If Tyrone are in with a chance with 15mins to go, they will win the game. It will have meant that this great Mayo team were not the free flowing attacking machine that they have been made out to be as Tyrone had matched them for 55mins. Mayo doubts will resurface and Tyrone are masters at closing out the big games. If Mayo prove to be the next great team and win by 10+ points I will happily hold my hands up, congratulate them on having a great team and enjoy watching them in the All Ireland final. At this moment in time however, I don't think they have done enough to be talked about in the hyperbole way they have been. Sunday may be the day that they silence a few more doubters but I think ultimately everyone wont be convinced until ye have Sam in Castlebar - then you can boast all ye like.
Benny

Mayo are ruthless this year. Some Galway player revealed in an interview that Galway have a fuball tradition and according to someone on here it ended up as a motivational tool for the players.
There will be no mental weakness against Tyrone who are just not good enough this year.   I wouldn't be surprised to have the match over by half time.

muppet

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 23, 2013, 10:11:21 AM

If Tyrone are in with a chance with 15mins to go, they will win the game. It will have meant that this great Mayo team were not the free flowing attacking machine that they have been made out to be as Tyrone had matched them for 55mins. Mayo doubts will resurface and Tyrone are masters at closing out the big games.

If Mayo prove to be the next great team and win by 10+ points I will happily hold my hands up, congratulate them on having a great team and enjoy watching them in the All Ireland final. At this moment in time however, I don't think they have done enough to be talked about in the hyperbole way they have been. Sunday may be the day that they silence a few more doubters but I think ultimately everyone wont be convinced until ye have Sam in Castlebar - then you can boast all ye like.

Agreed.

But each team's own supporters will always back their own, with the odd exception. Tyrone supporters will rightfully argue their right to be credible All-Ireland contenders and if Mayo supporters are pessimistic, after the year to date, then they are in need of help.
MWWSI 2017