Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: larryin89 on August 21, 2013, 06:50:26 PM
Quote from: Mayo Mick on August 21, 2013, 05:17:33 PM
Can't believe 80+ pages and can't imagine what people have found to write about  when this game is as predictable as they come. So many things would have to go wrong for us and right for Tyrone that the chances of anything other than a comprehensive win for us is remote.

From what I have seen so far this year Tyrone are average to mediocre – workmanlike and drawing on the confidence and experience of having won 3 AIs in past decade to just about get by lower division teams.  They are nothing like their AI winning teams in terms of power, pace teamwork and individual brilliance. No Dooher, Jordan Canavan, Mulligan and O'Neill a shadow of what he was. Now they are facing a team very like themselves in 2005. The one dimensional slow paced teams that Tyrone have made heavy enough work of getting by up to now will not be in front of them on Sunday. Instead they will face a team with power, skill and pace – way beyond anything they faced this year including Donegal back in May. Their newer players will not have played at this level of intensity before and will probably be gasping for air after 15 minutes. The traditional Tyrone attributes of breaking the tackle will not work nor will their legendary ability to strip teams of the ball.  We are ahead of them in every department of the game – individually and as a team. It could be a long afternoon for the Tyrone fans and having been there myself so many times I can only offer sympathy.

Little enough hype down here. Everybody expects to win in a matter of fact sort of way – this game is a step in getting to the final and nothing more. Know quite a few families heading up so the kids can see the team in Croke Park and knowing they won't get tickets for the final.

Nothing more to say – will have a look back here after the Kerry/Dublin game when we know who we play in the final.

Well said Mick and far more truthful than any other post in here but don't worry the same bandwagon will justify there conservatism come Monday morning even if its a hammering of a dozen points or more.

Well I firmly believe it will be a 5-7 point Mayo victory, with Tyrone dominating perhaps a 15 min spell during the game and a little harder to shrug off at the begining than the others so far.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 21, 2013, 02:31:29 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on August 21, 2013, 02:13:40 PM
Did a little bit of video research last night for my sins. Watched the Tyrone V Meath and V Monaghan game with the Mayo V Donegal sandwiched in between over the last 2 nights.

Tyrone will seriously need to get their asses in gear if they are to win this match on Sunday. It's not impossible as nothing is sure in sport but, even without my green and red tinted glasses on, it's going to be a tough day at HQ for Tyrone.

Mayo forwards tackling and turn overs in the oppositions half has been immense this year, Tyrone like to build from the back, Monaghan retreated, Mayo forwards will be all over them. Can't believe how ponderous on the ball Harte was too, no chance in hell he's going to get away with that on Sunday.

Joe McMahon, outstanding as he is, I feel is going to have too much on his plate on Sunday. You can't be your teams covering player and 2nd best scorer from open play against a team with the pace that Mayo have. I fancy Donie Vaughan will be tasked to go with Sean Cavanagh when he bombs forward through the centre.

Should be a very interesting game, Micky Harte will have something up his sleeve no doubt!

I'd agree with a lot of what you say here Ballinaman, but Tyrone were on the road for 4 weeks 7 weeks, with just one weekend off, and just had to battle these games out. I'd expect a much fresher Tyrone team with a specific game plan, I'm not sure Mickey had a load of time to implement specific tactics for Kildare, Meath and Monaghan.

Tyrone are also one of the best teams in the country at building from the back and it's the one area of our game that id be most confident in, so the tackling from the Mayo forwards won't unduly worry me. My main worry would be pace at which Mayo attack, especially fom deep so if Vaughan was tasked with following Cavanagh I'd be happy enough as he is a serious weapon going forward for Mayo.

It's an intriguing game alright and I can't wait.

Fixed that for you (Donegal, Offaly, Roscommon, weekend off, Kildare, Meath, Monaghan). Wee buns!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ross matt

Mayo by 6pt. Tyrone will ensure Mayo dont get a good start and Tyrone wont give up or lack belief even if they fall behind themselves early on.

However I just think Mayo have far too much overall balance in their side and momentum in general this season. I certainly hope so.

rrhf

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 21, 2013, 04:50:46 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on August 21, 2013, 04:48:36 PM
Would most of ye want to be beating Tyrone by 10+ points going into the final or would you be happier to win a much tougher closer contest?

I really hope Mickey does have something new up his sleeve and doesn't just play the same way we have been all year. I was delighted that we got to the semis and feel with the team we have we've already over achieved.

Any word on injuries?

Conor Gormley has a bruised fist and Sean Cavanagh has grazed knees - other than that we are good to go!!  ;)
In house training session... Conor says he'll use the other hand and Sean will be wearing knee pads

bennydorano

Tyrone's never ending whinging and persecution complex(es) have really turned my water lately and I didn't like them that much to begin with :P  Here's hoping for a a good oul fashioned arse whipping, Mayo by 10++.  Hope big Sean doesn't get the skitter again like he did  before the Cork game a few years back there.

rrhf

What about weighing in behind the ulster team. How many months since
Armagh played a game?  Probably all in the states.

bennydorano

anglocelt39

Team News anyone? observed the Mayo huddle at work today and it was along the lines of mutter mutter mutter O'Shea..........mutter yeah I think he's ok...........mutter mutter hope so on the day etc. etc. At least one of these tulips would be in the know so is there any doubt around either of the O Shea's lining out?
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Tubberman

Quote from: anglocelt39 on August 21, 2013, 09:07:41 PM
Team News anyone? observed the Mayo huddle at work today and it was along the lines of mutter mutter mutter O'Shea..........mutter yeah I think he's ok...........mutter mutter hope so on the day etc. etc. At least one of these tulips would be in the know so is there any doubt around either of the O Shea's lining out?

Heard the O'Shea rumour alright (Aidan) from a couple of people. Heard from one there was no truth behind it, another shook his head like a doomed man.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Tubberman on August 21, 2013, 09:17:15 PM

Heard the O'Shea rumour alright (Aidan) from a couple of people. Heard from one there was no truth behind it, another shook his head like a doomed man.

AOS should be fit. Unless the Mayo PRO is telling porkies.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rodman

Quote from: muppet on August 21, 2013, 04:12:03 PM
Quote from: Rodman on August 21, 2013, 03:49:43 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 21, 2013, 03:06:36 PM
Rodman Tyrone are 7/2.

I take it you have the house on them?

Not the house as i think it is a pretty even call. That price is way off and is definitely worth a few euros.  I just can't get understand how hyped up Mayo are.  I take it you have lumped on the handicap 4/5 Mayo -3

You haven't read my posts have you?

So you think 7/2 is a give away. It's doesn't really matter what the odds are if you think, like most Mayo people,  that Tyrone haven't got a chance. I think it's a 50/50 game and will be backing them at 7/2 but won't be putting th house on them as there is a good chance they won't win. If Mayo folk think its a foregone conclusion then they should be lumping on the handicap.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 21, 2013, 09:21:50 PM

Heard from reliable source we have a full deck and raring to go. Hon Mayo!

Tubberman

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 21, 2013, 09:25:06 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 21, 2013, 09:21:50 PM

Heard from reliable source we have a full deck and raring to go. Hon Mayo!

I heard from close to the camp that it's pure bullshit, but I thought I'd give the Tyronies something to get excited about until ye spoiled it ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rodman on August 21, 2013, 09:24:40 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 21, 2013, 04:12:03 PM
Quote from: Rodman on August 21, 2013, 03:49:43 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 21, 2013, 03:06:36 PM
Rodman Tyrone are 7/2.

I take it you have the house on them?

Not the house as i think it is a pretty even call. That price is way off and is definitely worth a few euros.  I just can't get understand how hyped up Mayo are.  I take it you have lumped on the handicap 4/5 Mayo -3

You haven't read my posts have you?

So you think 7/2 is a give away. It's doesn't really matter what the odds are if you think, like most Mayo people,  that Tyrone haven't got a chance. I think it's a 50/50 game and will be backing them at 7/2 but won't be putting th house on them as there is a good chance they won't win. If Mayo folk think its a foregone conclusion then they should be lumping on the handicap.

I think there's too many of us that have suffered for too long to take anything for granted.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Blowitupref

Quote from: ONeill on August 21, 2013, 05:06:13 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on August 21, 2013, 04:55:17 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 21, 2013, 04:51:51 PM
Anyway can you give any example of Mayo "losing big games, especially when they have been favourites"??
This should be good!  :D

1952 Connacht final.

1994,2001 Connacht finals, round 4 qualifiers v Westmeath 01,Fermanagh 03 and quarter final v Meath in 2009.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose