Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on August 20, 2013, 04:57:33 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 20, 2013, 04:02:32 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on August 20, 2013, 01:48:50 PM
Who's wrong and who is right. This game sees the bookies (me also) as a no contest, Mayo at 2/7 , to win by sixteen points or more for example is at 14/1 whilst we were 40/1 v Galway for same bet and similar for Ross. Then on the flip side you have the vast majority of posters on all GAA forums , most of the journos and high stool pundits saying it will be as tight as you get.

Tyrones games so far have been average performances, grinding out results, incapable of forcing it home (v Kildare) . Should of lost out in Hyde park in the end only for a lack of composure by Ross, who probably couldn't believe the position they got themselves in near the end. Donegal beat them fair and square ,exposing their lack of pace at the back several times, mcbrearty ran in and along the line to lay off for second goal as if Tyrone were stuck to the ground.

All said and done , I maintain there will be a lot of people very surprised at how comfortable this is going to be for Mayo.

If football had a decent rule book,it would be Monaghan we wold be facing, of that I have no doubt.Looking back over Tyrone videos, they are a nasty team and people can airbrush that with all the usual horse manure excuse and counter arguments but its the simple truth from Riceys knee on the face to the Armagh lad in 03 to todays Cavanagh  dragging and pullin all day long , their football culture is a nasty cynical one.

We will batter them with speedy football. See ye next week for the who's right result.

Tyrone were always in control against Kildare, were hardly going to be motivated against Roscommon and were comfortable against Monaghan and Meath.  Against Donegal, McBrearty beat Carlin for pace for the goal, apart from that there was no great exposure of a lack of pace.

Well I seen it different from you then as regards the Donegal game. Look at the end of the day I'm going to have to retire from these aul forums till after the game because either I know way more than everyone else or I'm totally daft and know nothing, I vision the likes of Higgins and Boyle bombing forward and Tyrone just stuck there like in startled gaze, I think we are going to absolutely kill Tyrone , I'm convinced we are miles better than Tyrone .So like I said that's it from me as my opinion sounds so far fetched in here I'm starting to question my sanity, am I seeing things ,how come nobody agrees with me,am I mad , I find myself asking theses questions .Slan

I totally agree with you. The reason Tyrone are not being written off is the same reason people don't write off Galway or Meath. They remember the good times, the great performances and the great results. GAA people label counties. Galway play nice football and win AIs. Meath teams are never beaten and win AIs. Tyrone play tough and win AIs. The bad results over the last couple of years are forgotten each year. Mayo don't win AIs, so there is a mind block!

Syferus

Tickets captured, lower Hogan, nigh-on halfway and the ideal distance back.

Delighted to be able to lord it over all these hardcore Tyroniacs and, of course, the old enemy. Think of me when you wonder if that's the referee or Stephen O'Neill from your perches in Row Z of the upper Davin.

8)

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

This is a good one, Bastille's song suits it down to the ground, esp. appropriate with all the French visitors to the county this month. Must be 300 French flags and another 200 Mayo flags in Castlebar at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRuqVJ_AEys
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on August 20, 2013, 06:01:37 PM
Tickets captured, lower Hogan, nigh-on halfway and the ideal distance back.

Delighted to be able to lord it over all these hardcore Tyroniacs and, of course, the old enemy. Think of me when you wonder if that's the referee or Stephen O'Neill from your preaches in Row Z of the upper Davin.

8)

MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Family guy

Mayo will win this game easily,they can well afford to let colm cavanagh be free and have 2 men on Sean,go as far as give colm the ball even,won't hurt mayo at all,can see a very comfortable win for mayo and a long 70 mins for the Tyrone defence

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Family guy on August 20, 2013, 07:35:38 PM
Mayo will win this game easily,they can well afford to let colm cavanagh be free and have 2 men on Sean,go as far as give colm the ball even,won't hurt mayo at all,can see a very comfortable win for mayo and a long 70 mins for the Tyrone defence

Strange post. Proved his worth to the team in the last few games. Up against two decent county midfields and did well. Has for some reason been the target for abuse by many Tyrone people. Some due to petty club loyalties. Certainly not a top county midfielder but does a very unselfish job for the team. Will be interesting to see how he gets on against these Mayo greats on Sunday.

Redhand Santa

I'm quite curious as to which county your from.

muppet

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 20, 2013, 07:52:49 PM

Strange post. Proved his worth to the team in the last few games. Up against two decent county midfields and did well. Has for some reason been the target for abuse by many Tyrone people. Some due to petty club loyalties. Certainly not a top county midfielder but does a very unselfish job for the team. Will be interesting to see how he gets on against these Mayo greats on Sunday.

Our best midfielder from last year is on the bench. I wish he got some more game time before now.
MWWSI 2017

Family guy

I am from Tyrone,just my assessment of the game and if I was over mayo,or any county that was playing Tyrone,which I'm obviously not or never will be,but then again none of us on this site will be but we just give our points however worthless they are,I would be setting out to target him as a weak point,by more or less going 2 men on Sean thus trying to limit him,who is at the end of the day tyrones greatest chance of winning the game I feel,he is the man who makes them tick and has done this past number of years,I think Micky will mix things up against mayo and could well see joe at midfield

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Family guy on August 20, 2013, 08:02:32 PM
I am from Tyrone,just my assessment of the game and if I was over mayo,or any county that was playing Tyrone,which I'm obviously not or never will be,but then again none of us on this site will be but we just give our points however worthless they are,I would be setting out to target him as a weak point,by more or less going 2 men on Sean thus trying to limit him,who is at the end of the day tyrones greatest chance of winning the game I feel,he is the man who makes them tick and has done this past number of years,I think Micky will mix things up against mayo and could well see joe at midfield

It was a very strange post directed against one of the team coming up to an All Ireland semi final. Colm Cavanagh is not there to lead attacks, he is there to cover back and allow Sean to get forward. So he is unlikely to hurt Mayo with the ball but it certainly won't be the losing of the game for Tyrone. A few years ago he was allowed to get forward and got 4 or 5 goals one of the years. Now he does the defensive role asked of him and plays a different one to the more attacking one employed by Cassidy when he comes on. Despite the constant criticism I believe he has coped well in the last 2 games against Meath and Monaghan who were both praised for having strong midfields and worked hard. He certainly isn't in the top bracket of county midfielders but may be the best option available.

Whishtup

I don't think a  two-man marking job will work for any of the Tyrone players-that's what has bate teams so far-trying to 2-3 man-mark Stevie.  We're not Armagh (v Galway).

This game will be won by whoever adjusts their system the quickest to stem the general attacking flow of the other team.  The double sweeper saved Tyrone the last day and could be deployed again.  Was very effective.  Was highly impressed by the subs the last day and would like to see them on earlier to maintain intensity, instead of waiting for a dip.

I anticipate a congested midfield until the second half with O'Neill and McCurry showing on the wings, ready for the pass off to the Donnellys coming up the middle.  Gormley must stay on the field for the full 70 to clog up the middle. Expect a refreshed Stevie for this one.  Joe McMahon is coming up close to his previous standards.  Sean Cavanagh-we all know.  Colm Cav. doing a job that only he could do at midfield-good for a score too-remember 2008?  McGinlay and Clarke looking every bit the authoritive attacking defenders.  For some reason, I'd like to see Ryan McKenna in for this one.  Dermy Carlin can push up too far at times and looks a bit wild-good impact sub.  Man for man, if everyone plays to their full potential, Tyrone will have too much for them.  Mayo haven't faced the intense speed tackling around the middle that Tyrone have made their own.

Bring it on Mayonesians!

From the Bunker

We are all hearing that Mayo won't have faced this and Mayo won't have encountered that. But the reality is that Tyrone won't have face anything like Mayo since their Ulster opener against Donegal which they lost by six points.