Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 19, 2013, 10:05:41 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 19, 2013, 09:59:46 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 19, 2013, 09:43:24 PM
So how many from the 2008 minor final are likely to play a part on Sunday? McNabb, Matty Donnelly, Petey Harte and possibly Kyle Coney for Tyrone? What about Mayo - is it just Aiden O'Shea and Keane?

Tyrone: T Harney; F McQuaid, G Teague, R Pickering (capt); S MacRory, P Harte, R McNabb; N McKenna (0-01), M Rogers; C Gervin (0-03), D McNulty, M Donnelly (0-01); K Coney, P McNeice (0-06, 1f), C O'Neill (0-03, 3f).
Subs used: R Tierney for MacRory (50 mins), S Warnock for Rogers (53), B McGarvey for McNabb (55).
Mayo: R Hennelly; D Dolan, K Keane, J Broderick; S McHale, E Reilly, S Nally (capt) (0-01); J Cafferty, G McDonagh; C Freeman (0-04), A O'Shea (0-02), R Geraghty (0-01); K Charlton, A Walsh (0-04, 3f), A Corduff (0-01).
Subs used: D Gavin (0-01) for Charlton (39 mins), D O'Hara for Geraghty (50).

How many of the 2006 Tyrone under 21 Ulster winning team are part of the Squad?

Jaysus, you are very touchy! I wasn't even trying to have a dig, was interested how many were involved as it was a fairly good minor final that year. And to answer your question I think only Colm Cavanagh and Justy McMahon, though PJ Quinn was involved earlier in the year.

Interesting that Paddy McNiece got 0-6 that day in 2008 but has mainly been used as a workhorse than a finisher under Mickey.

Haven't seen much of McNeice so my impression of him the past year or so has been as a work horse too.  Some scoring that day.  I think Coney did more in the replay, but the scores that stick out for me were your man Nallys couple of the outside of the left boot.  My grape with the current way Tyrone play is that it seems that the instinctiveness and directness towards goal is coached out of the full forward line.  Our men seem to be happy to come out to get the ball and continue going towards the half forward line and off-loading, instead of getting the ball and looking to turn their men and go for goals.  How many goals have Tyrone scored in the Championship this year and the last few?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Redhand Santa

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 20, 2013, 08:36:08 AM
So how many from the 2008 minor final are likely to play a part on Sunday? McNabb, Matty Donnelly, Petey Harte and possibly Kyle Coney for Tyrone? What about Mayo - is it just Aiden O'Shea and Keane?

Tyrone: T Harney; F McQuaid, G Teague, R Pickering (capt); S MacRory, P Harte, R McNabb; N McKenna (0-01), M Rogers; C Gervin (0-03), D McNulty, M Donnelly (0-01); K Coney, P McNeice (0-06, 1f), C O'Neill (0-03, 3f).
Subs used: R Tierney for MacRory (50 mins), S Warnock for Rogers (53), B McGarvey for McNabb (55).
Mayo: R Hennelly; D Dolan, K Keane, J Broderick; S McHale, E Reilly, S Nally (capt) (0-01); J Cafferty, G McDonagh; C Freeman (0-04), A O'Shea (0-02), R Geraghty (0-01); K Charlton, A Walsh (0-04, 3f), A Corduff (0-01).

Jaysus, you are very touchy! I wasn't even trying to have a dig, was interested how many were involved as it was a fairly good minor final that year. And to answer your question I think only Colm Cavanagh and Justy McMahon, though PJ Quinn was involved earlier in the year.

Interesting that Paddy McNiece got 0-6 that day in 2008 but has mainly been used as a workhorse than a finisher under Mickey.

Haven't seen much of McNeice so my impression of him the past year or so has been as a work horse too.  Some scoring that day.  I think Coney did more in the replay, but the scores that stick out for me were your man Nallys couple of the outside of the left boot.  My grape with the current way Tyrone play is that it seems that the instinctiveness and directness towards goal is coached out of the full forward line.  Our men seem to be happy to come out to get the ball and continue going towards the half forward line and off-loading, instead of getting the ball and looking to turn their men and go for goals.  How many goals have Tyrone scored in the Championship this year and the last few?

Wouldn't be overly concerned about the lack of goals. In 2003 think we scored one goal from the quarter finals on but still won an All Ireland. I can't see there being a huge number of goals scored in the last 3 games of the championship.

Mayo4Sam

Hennelly is in goal and Shane McHale on the bench
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

southdown

Can get 2 tickets for canal premium if anyone wants to PM me, 65 yoyo each

Fuzzman

In 2003 Tyrone only scored 3 goals in the whole championship
One against Antrim, a penalty v Down and one against Fermanagh.
Canavan was top scorer with 1.48.

As Brolly said a lot of the time Tyrone ignore the full forward line as they prefer to work the ball forward slowly from the back. Peter Harte seems to be one to hit in the odd long ball.
Any more news on injuries?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 20, 2013, 08:39:51 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 20, 2013, 08:36:08 AM

Wouldn't be overly concerned about the lack of goals. In 2003 think we scored one goal from the quarter finals on but still won an All Ireland. I can't see there being a huge number of goals scored in the last 3 games of the championship.
I also can't see many goals being conceded by any of the teams still left in the competition.  None of them could have gotten to this stage if it had a dodgy defence.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Bod Mor

Quote from: stephenite on August 20, 2013, 07:02:43 AM
Not one team has put it up to Mayo in this years championship, will be interesting to see how they respond when the tough questions are asked by Tyrone.

That's the very thing. What if Tyrone start with the intensity Mayo showed against Donegal??
It will be a serious test of character. I'm not sure what the match ups were in the league game but we know now that a lot can be read into the way Mayo matched up against Donegal in the league match, I.e. the way Barrett was brought in to the full back line.

This will be a very tight game and I have a feeling it will be low scoring one and we could well see a replay. Has there been a replay yet in the Football this summer? A rare hing if there hasn't been one yet.

Are you in Sydney all the time Stephenite? I'll probably head into Scruffy's to watch it.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

rrhf

As well as the battle beween the Brothers Cavanagh and O se, another intriguing spotlight will be on the goalkeepers,  Packie Mc Connell has come in because of injury but in Mayo they will probably be playing James Horan's third choice goalkeeper.  What a remarkable story of progression through the ranks this is! 

larryin89

Who's wrong and who is right. This game sees the bookies (me also) as a no contest, Mayo at 2/7 , to win by sixteen points or more for example is at 14/1 whilst we were 40/1 v Galway for same bet and similar for Ross. Then on the flip side you have the vast majority of posters on all GAA forums , most of the journos and high stool pundits saying it will be as tight as you get.

Tyrones games so far have been average performances, grinding out results, incapable of forcing it home (v Kildare) . Should of lost out in Hyde park in the end only for a lack of composure by Ross, who probably couldn't believe the position they got themselves in near the end. Donegal beat them fair and square ,exposing their lack of pace at the back several times, mcbrearty ran in and along the line to lay off for second goal as if Tyrone were stuck to the ground.

All said and done , I maintain there will be a lot of people very surprised at how comfortable this is going to be for Mayo.

If football had a decent rule book,it would be Monaghan we wold be facing, of that I have no doubt.Looking back over Tyrone videos, they are a nasty team and people can airbrush that with all the usual horse manure excuse and counter arguments but its the simple truth from Riceys knee on the face to the Armagh lad in 03 to todays Cavanagh  dragging and pullin all day long , their football culture is a nasty cynical one.

We will batter them with speedy football. See ye next week for the who's right result.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

rrhf

Whats great in all of this is the battle beween those prepared to take their lead from the smutty red tops and their cheerleaders in rte and what is becoming the last bastion of independent thinking on the GAA.  For every ten of the first who like Larry use "popularistic pot noodle analytic techniques " ie just add a little something to the crap thats already there are probably  three who believe that our games deserve a more refined steady and sophisticated analysis.  Many on here are fans of the pot noodle approach but please remember the rights of those who arent.
Its amazing to think that the most cynical team in Ireland eleven months ago are now its saviours... 
Now theres a pot noodle I simply cant swallow.. 

larryin89

muppet

Quote from: larryin89 on August 20, 2013, 02:02:17 PM
Rubbish and you know it.

I think he alluded to that with the last pot noodle reference.

MWWSI 2017

sans pessimism

Quote from: rrhf on August 20, 2013, 02:00:01 PM
Whats great in all of this is the battle beween those prepared to take their lead from the smutty red tops and their cheerleaders in rte and what is becoming the last bastion of independent thinking on the GAA.  For every ten of the first who like Larry use "popularistic pot noodle analytic techniques " ie just add a little something to the crap thats already there are probably  three who believe that our games deserve a more refined steady and sophisticated analysis.  Many on here are fans of the pot noodle approach but please remember the rights of those who arent.
Its amazing to think that the most cynical team in Ireland eleven months ago are now its saviours... 
Now theres a pot noodle I simply cant swallow..
Cynical only in the eyes of a 'pot noodle ' nordie barrister masquerading as a journalist
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Mayo4Sam

I cant believe there are some many of the mayo lads getting up on the high horse about Cavanaghs foul against monaghan.
Is it fair, no its not but Kerry should have pulled down McMenamin in 2011, they would have won the game and no one would have remembered the foul, instead the dubs have an all ireland. Likewise in '08 we were a point up against tyrone in the minors and lost the ball high up the field, the man should have been pulled down and us re-group, instead tyrone won after a replay.
It happens in every sport, look at Luis Suarez in the last world cup, you think Uruguayans give a toss that he handled the ball and missed the semi final?? Not likely. Or France for making that world cup at our expense?
The issue is with the conseqences of your actions, there are none for this kind of thing in the GAA, there should be a post match suspension for bringing the game into disrepute.

There isnt a county in the country that wouldnt have done the same thing (with the possible exception of Kerry) and any Mayo man that says we wouldnt hasnt seen much of them play, we're as cycinical as the worst when we have to be, Roscommon in the Connacht final 2011 and Dublin in the semi final last year being two prime examples, Vaughan in particular did something similiar just further out to a dublin forward and fair play to him, he gave away a free but saved a goal.
For too long we've been the pretty boys with the nice football, f**k that I say, play within the rules, or just outside the rules and take the consequences.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

larryin89

Haven't seen many games is one thing but you've seen games that never took place, we never played Ross last year.