Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whishtup

Tyrone release secret footage of in-house training session prior to all-Ireland semi-final:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snZaIQic77A

larryin89

Interestingly reading john evans predictions pre q/f weekend in the Examiner. He couldn't call it between Donegal/Mayo, he went onto say though if Donegal won he would expect them to account for Tyrone in semi but said Tyrone would beat Mayo.

He has battled with the two sides this year of course , cant help feeling he has developed the anti Mayo thing thats very common round roscommon though.

Hope you stay on for a while John with the rossies.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on August 12, 2013, 09:31:29 PM
Interestingly reading john evans predictions pre q/f weekend in the Examiner. He couldn't call it between Donegal/Mayo, he went onto say though if Donegal won he would expect them to account for Tyrone in semi but said Tyrone would beat Mayo.

He has battled with the two sides this year of course , cant help feeling he has developed the anti Mayo thing thats very common round roscommon though.

Colm O'Rourke is the one I find gas. Year in year out when Mayo play Galway, he picks Galway to win. Without fail! I laughed this year when he picked Galway. I know we had the AI hangover stuff. But Galway had done nothing in 12 months to come near beating us. Anyway rant over!

I look forward to his prediction next year should we be drawn together! Ah sure what am i thinking he'll pick Galway!

Syferus

Great to see John is becoming a true Rossie. Still amazed D. Brady's unprovoked attacks on him haven't got more air-play. He's a smart coach and anyone that saw how successful his adjustments after the Mayo game were could see that.

Only in the first 25 minutes of the Ros-Mayo game has anyone come close to troubling the Mighty Mayo Men. Evans will help us eat the rhubarbs soon enough.

Whishtup

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 12, 2013, 02:43:58 PM
I'm glad you got that in before I did Santa as it would sound more biased coming from me, his clubmate.

Yeah Stevie's lost a bit of his pace I fear and so is struggling with two or sometimes more guys hanging out of him these days. He gets very few chances to shoot and often when he does they're out in the wings or corners. I think he acts more as a decoy these days though some of the poor high balls being kicked into him were terrible.

I watched the Monaghan game there at the weekend and my patience with Penrose has finally wore thin. So I am glad he's out for this game. Him & Mone were at each other the whole game and I can't for the life of me see why Mickey didn't haul him off long before half time. He totally lost the run of himself and was a liability. His miss right at the start of the game was typical of him all season. Shooting wide under no pressure. I know he does a lot of work around the pitch and helps the defence out a lot but he really has lost any attacking threat that he used to have. Hard to believe he used to be one of our top scorers.

I would like to see Ronan get more time on the pitch and think he's more of a threat from play than McCurry. Whilst McCurry is our top scorer (or is it Sean now), you very rarely see him score that type of point that Ronan got last Saturday. He has the pace to come running out, catch, turn and shoot.
I'd say Mickey will go for mCNabb or maybe even Justy.

Is McAliskey out of the running these days?  Tyrone were at their most exciting this year when himself and McCurry were up front.  He was the County's leading scorer but has disappeared after the Donegal match.  Is he injured?

On that note,  only Jack McCaffrey out of this lot has really fulfilled the hype:

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0102131411-ten-to-watch-potential-stars-of-the-allianz-league/

larryin89

Quote from: Syferus on August 12, 2013, 10:07:26 PM

Great to see John is becoming a true Rossie. Still amazed D. Brady's unprovoked attacks on him haven't got more air-play. He's a smart coach and anyone that saw how successful his adjustments after the Mayo game were could see that.

Only in the first 25 minutes of the Ros-Mayo game has anyone come close to troubling the Mighty Mayo Men. Evans will help us eat the rhubarbs soon enough.

He is entitled to his opinion of course, i just don't fully understand where he's coming from, team a beats you by 12 points and team b were very lucky to beat you at all in fairness, yet you predict team b to to beat team a.

Like i said i find it very interesting , maybe he's planning for battles out west in the future and hardening his attitude towards Mayo.

I  did also hear he masterminded the placard malarkey for the strokestown boys that greeted the Mayo faithful last sunday week on our way home.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

sans pessimism

I hope ya have Supermacs number on speeddial Syfo
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Whishtup on August 12, 2013, 10:13:34 PM
I'm glad you got that in before I did Santa as it would sound more biased coming from me, his clubmate.

Yeah Stevie's lost a bit of his pace I fear and so is struggling with two or sometimes more guys hanging out of him these days. He gets very few chances to shoot and often when he does they're out in the wings or corners. I think he acts more as a decoy these days though some of the poor high balls being kicked into him were terrible.

I watched the Monaghan game there at the weekend and my patience with Penrose has finally wore thin. So I am glad he's out for this game. Him & Mone were at each other the whole game and I can't for the life of me see why Mickey didn't haul him off long before half time. He totally lost the run of himself and was a liability. His miss right at the start of the game was typical of him all season. Shooting wide under no pressure. I know he does a lot of work around the pitch and helps the defence out a lot but he really has lost any attacking threat that he used to have. Hard to believe he used to be one of our top scorers.

I would like to see Ronan get more time on the pitch and think he's more of a threat from play than McCurry. Whilst McCurry is our top scorer (or is it Sean now), you very rarely see him score that type of point that Ronan got last Saturday. He has the pace to come running out, catch, turn and shoot.

Is McAliskey out of the running these days?  Tyrone were at their most exciting this year when himself and McCurry were up front.  He was the County's leading scorer but has disappeared after the Donegal match.  Is he injured?

On that note,  only Jack McCaffrey out of this lot has really fulfilled the hype:

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0102131411-ten-to-watch-potential-stars-of-the-allianz-league/

McAlsikey started in both the games v Roscommon and Offaly. I thought he did rightly this year but just didn't do enough in the games to hold onto his place. Surprised he hasn't got more action from the bench. This year will be a good learning curve for him and if he works hard enough can become a good county player.

It's going to be interesting to see who replaces Penrose. McNabb would be best suited to the role but hard to believe he's up to the level of fitness after being injured all year. Harte could be tempted with Cassidy midfield, Colm to half forward and Mattie Donnelly pushed up to the corner. Given the strength of Mayo around the middle it might actually not be a bad idea. The other big decison could be around McCurry and whether he holds his place. O'Neill looked good coming on the last day but its much tougher starting.

Any word of Joe McMahon. He was limping the last day but hopefully nothing major. Hard to see Justy coming into the wreckoning to start given the amount of time he's missed again this year.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: larryin89 on August 12, 2013, 10:24:34 PM

He is entitled to his opinion of course, i just don't fully understand where he's coming from, team a beats you by 12 points and team b were very lucky to beat you at all in fairness, yet you predict team b to to beat team a.

Like i said i find it very interesting , maybe he's planning for battles out west in the future and hardening his attitude towards Mayo.

I  did also hear he masterminded the placard malarkey for the strokestown boys that greeted the Mayo faithful last sunday week on our way home.
I thought that was Syferus himself!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Whishtup

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 12, 2013, 10:40:24 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 12, 2013, 10:13:34 PM

McAlsikey started in both the games v Roscommon and Offaly. I thought he did rightly this year but just didn't do enough in the games to hold onto his place. Surprised he hasn't got more action from the bench. This year will be a good learning curve for him and if he works hard enough can become a good county player.

It's going to be interesting to see who replaces Penrose. McNabb would be best suited to the role but hard to believe he's up to the level of fitness after being injured all year. Harte could be tempted with Cassidy midfield, Colm to half forward and Mattie Donnelly pushed up to the corner. Given the strength of Mayo around the middle it might actually not be a bad idea. The other big decison could be around McCurry and whether he holds his place. O'Neill looked good coming on the last day but its much tougher starting.

Any word of Joe McMahon. He was limping the last day but hopefully nothing major. Hard to see Justy coming into the wreckoning to start given the amount of time he's missed again this year.

Knowing Mickey this year, there'll be no surprises.  He'll deploy a tactic around the middle, tweak it a little and if it's not working, then throw on Cassidy.  I feel that Mark Donnelly is going to take on a lot of Penrose's role and expect a lively game from him.

thebuzz

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 11, 2013, 12:00:11 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2013, 11:50:15 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 10, 2013, 11:41:13 PM
Tyrone haven't bate anyone worth 2d either.

That is true. We have not bate a side I'd consider a fine scalp.

Tyrone haven't beaten a decent team since 2008. Mayo keep beating reigning all Ireland champions!

I think it's been mentioned before but look at what happened Meath in the game after they beat the All Ireland Champions in 2000. They thought that they only had to turn up and that Galway would roll over.

Having said that I was on holidays and missed the Mayo/Donegal game. I asked the brother-in-law was it a mixture of Mayo being good and Donegal being bad. He said Donegal just weren't allowed to play and that Mayo were all over them.

I still think Donegal only played one game this year that was anywhere near the level they were at last year and that was the Tyrone game. They thought they only had to beat Tyrone to win Ulster so they were all psyched up for the game and peaked too soon.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: thebuzz on August 13, 2013, 12:19:21 AM

Tyrone haven't beaten a decent team since 2008. Mayo keep beating reigning all Ireland champions!

I think it's been mentioned before but look at what happened Meath in the game after they beat the All Ireland Champions in 2000. They thought that they only had to turn up and that Galway would roll over.

Having said that I was on holidays and missed the Mayo/Donegal game. I asked the brother-in-law was it a mixture of Mayo being good and Donegal being bad. He said Donegal just weren't allowed to play and that Mayo were all over them.

I still think Donegal only played one game this year that was anywhere near the level they were at last year and that was the Tyrone game. They thought they only had to beat Tyrone to win Ulster so they were all psyched up for the game and peaked too soon.

Agreed and if Tyrone were to win this game will Mayo have peaked too soon against Donegal?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: thebuzz on August 13, 2013, 12:19:21 AM

Was that not in 2001?
I think Meath played Kerry in a semi final and Kerry were hot favourites to win that one. Kerry imploded that day and Meath were easy winners.
As a result Meath went into the final as red-hot favourite favourites against Galway where they did the same as Kerry had done in the previous match. Galway won 0-17 to 0-08.
So Mayo weren't the first team to bottle it in Croke Park!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

macdanger2

Any word on injuries from the Mayo camp? Cunniffe? Conroy? B Moran? Doc?

As regards matchups, I'd guess that Mayo would be looking at:

Caff on SO'N
Cunniffe (if fit) on McCurry
Boyle on Joe Mc
Barrett on R O'Neill
Leaving Keegan / Vaughan on the two Donnellys (or one sweeping)

That's assuming that Higgins doesn't play in the FB line.