Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Frank Casey on August 07, 2013, 09:50:44 PM
Are there any members of the 1951 team (that were cursed) still alive?

Yerra ye know those old piseogs.

At least three on last count. Mayo v Curse might be the closest shave of the year.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Syferus on August 07, 2013, 09:53:29 PM
Quote from: Frank Casey on August 07, 2013, 09:50:44 PM
Are there any members of the 1951 team (that were cursed) still alive?

Yerra ye know those old piseogs.

At least three on last count. Mayo v Curse might be the closest shave of the year.

Reek Sunday regulars.

Frank Casey

Paudi O Se always maintained that it was the red headed woman he met leaving Ventry and not Seamus Darby's nudge that cost him the 1982 AI ;)
KERRY 3:7

Redhand Santa

After Sunday it's hard not to have Mayo as hot favourites to win this. They were highly impressive throughout the pitch. Tyrone need to stay in the game for 45 minutes then hope that our experience of close games gets us over the line. The players have plenty of experience of winning All Ireland's. around 11 of the team will have won at least one at minor or senior level which is great experience for big games like this.

I really hope Stevie o'neill can have 3 weeks injury free now because if he gets himself right he could still have a huge part to play in the championship.

Hope this doesn't get too bitter on here. I'd have a lot of time for Mayo and if they beat us would be great to see them win it. Having said that I'd much prefer if they had to wait another year!

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 07, 2013, 09:49:23 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 07, 2013, 04:28:36 PM
History shows us that Mayo are chokers in Croke Park and only get to Finals the years that they win semi finals.
Are you saying if Mayo lose this semi final they won't reach the final?
Yeah, but despite Mayo having a poor record in Croke Park, they reach allot of Semi-finals and Finals.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 07, 2013, 09:37:41 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 07, 2013, 09:33:53 PM
Tyrone are lucky they never had to endure the stigma of losing to Chokers like Mayo in Croke Park!

Huh?! 1989, 2004, how it hurts! ;)

Surely that wasn't in Croke Park? We never win in Croke Park! Oh the shame.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 07, 2013, 10:41:51 PM
History shows us that Mayo are chokers in Croke Park and only get to Finals the years that they win semi finals.
Yeah, but despite Mayo having a poor record in Croke Park, they reach allot of Semi-finals and Finals.
I think it's best to lose this semi final and work on that poor Croke park record next year.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Frank Casey on August 07, 2013, 09:57:04 PM
Paudi O Se always maintained that it was the red headed woman he met leaving Ventry and not Seamus Darby's nudge that cost him the 1982 AI ;)
what she do with him ......
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Orangemac

If Mayo get past Tyrone would they prefer Dublin or Kerry in the final?

Also most neutrals in country rooting for Mayo, only downside would be looking at Enda Kenny weaseling his way into every photo opportunity!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 07, 2013, 09:37:41 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 07, 2013, 09:33:53 PM
Tyrone are lucky they never had to endure the stigma of losing to Chokers like Mayo in Croke Park!

Huh?! 1989, 2004, how it hurts! ;)
Yeah and you could throw '95 in as well- the one that got away.
Tyrone put up with an awful lot of disappointments before finally winning their first.
Credit be given where credit is due; they kept plugging away, year after year when they started winning Ulster finals on a fairly frequent basis (c. 1984?)until they got there in the end.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 07, 2013, 10:56:30 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 07, 2013, 10:41:51 PM
I think it's best to lose this semi final and work on that poor Croke park record next year.
Thank you Doctor! Will I collect my prescription on the way out.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Orangemac on August 07, 2013, 10:59:36 PM
If Mayo get past Tyrone would they prefer Dublin or Kerry in the final?

Also most neutrals in country rooting for Mayo, only downside would be looking at Enda Kenny weaseling his way into every photo opportunity!

Don't worry Orangemac it looks like we will soon offload IInnndaaa to Europe like we did with that genius of the department of finance Kevin Cardiff so hopefully we won't have to suffer him for too much longer!

Lar Naparka

Janey Mac! Either I or both you and Bunker need remedial help ASAP!
When did Mayo or any other county ever reach a final unless they won a semi to get there first?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ross matt

I expect (and hope) that Mayo will win this semi final. Tyrone have a very tactically astute manager and (despite it not being their best ever panel) a competitive bunch of players who know what it takes to eek out narrow victories.

Mayo had every championship 2013 match won by half time. Tyrone will do everything in their power (negative, cynical etc) to ensure the westerners don't get a good start. Aidan O'Se will be targeted in the hope that he reacts and gets sent off. Vaughan the same. Cillian O'Connor will be hit on (but mostly off) the ball in the hope that he gets taken out of the game.

The plus for Mayo in all of this is that it's exactly what they need if they're to enter the AI final and win it. They need a dog of a match where they have to dig deep in the 2nd half in order to win ugly.

They have the overall skill, hunger, ambition and physical conditioning to beat this limited but determined Tyrone side. Mayo by 6pt.

ross matt

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 07, 2013, 11:08:57 PM

Janey Mac! Either I or both you and Bunker need remedial help ASAP!
When did Mayo or any other county ever reach a final unless they won a semi to get there first?

My thoughts exactly Lar but presume Bunker was being sarcastic ?